A Hail Mary ?

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
Hexdump
Recruit

A Hail Mary ?

Post by Hexdump » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:02 pm

I always remember a Hail Mary pass to be an act of desperation.
Time is running out, the team is behind, and we need a score.

Therefore I never understood why Schwartzkopf called his flanking maneuver a Hail mary ?
We certainly were not desperate.

Any thoughts ?

Regards,
Hex
RichardLowry
Author of Gulf War Chronicles
Your Gulf War Unit: Military Historian and Author

Post by RichardLowry » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:47 am

Hex,

I had the same reaction to the Hail Mary reference. I even talked about the inappropriateness of the term. I classified XVIII and VII Corps attack as a "Rams Right." That was a running play where all the team blocked to their most powerful side.

Richard
SSGRONFIN

Post by SSGRONFIN » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:23 pm

Hail Mary my ass. I was with the 3rd Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division, (we replaced the 1st BDE, 1st Armor Div), and it wasn't a "hail mary" by definition. We took the fight to the RGFC and decimated them. Saddam's elite was a joke. Anyway, I think the reason he termed the flanking maneuver that way was that he was moving a large number of troops, and wanted to keep the element of surprise, which, I think we did based on statements provided by EPW's. It wasn't a desperation move, but a move so large in scale that only the Blessed Mother herself helped keep it a secret. The fact that Saddam's troops never re-positioned themselves to attempt any defense form VII Corp was amazing.
Hexdump
Recruit

Borrowing an

Post by Hexdump » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:34 pm

old John Mckay of USC coaching fame quote, I think it would be more appropriate to call it a "student body left". Where a feign is made in one direction and all hell breaks loose in the other.
I think Schwartzkof got his football analogies mixed up.

And by the way, I was too old at teh time to be in the military though I was in Saudi during the 1st Gulf War.
I was with a construction company in Jubail and did my part, so to speak by providing BBQs, laundry facilities and most importantly, free phone calls home for any troops that came to my home.

Bless every one of you.