Desert-Storm.com Community Forums

Community for Discussing the Gulf War.

A portion of any sale supports this site.

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: 1st ID C BTRY 4/5th FA
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:35 am 
Recruit

Your Gulf War Unit: 4thBN/5thFA
Dagger X-Ray wrote:
Jetmech wrote:
I served as a member of the 1st Infantry Division C BTRY 4/5th FA. I was a #1 man on a M109A4 155MM Howitzer. I figured I would post up my unit.

Welcome B.R.O., glad to see another 1st ID'er.

Just recently started to check this site out and was also glad to see another person from 4thBN 5thFA. I was adv. party. in A btry.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:09 am 
Recruit

Your Gulf War Unit: 4/5 Field Artillery
I know how 1/4 CAV missed their SP and we in 4-5 was out in front. We came onto Safwan and the HQ there with the enemy still there. What a long day.
That was the largest part of our BN history.
James A. Bunker
Operation Officer
4-5 FA

Jetmech wrote:
I know this story makes the 1-4 Cav mad, but I figure I would post it here in case anyone from my unit remembers and would want to do a 20 year reunion in Feb.

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD ... tTRDoc.pdf

I did just read the book, "THE ROAD TO SAFWAN" that tried to make a point that the town of Safwan was taken by 1-4 CAV. I believe it was the collective effort of the entire B.R.O. that won that battle. I would have liked to see our story included in the book, seeing it was a HUGE factor in the taking of the town of Safwan. A little change in the title and the book would have appealed to a wider range of interests. Call it, "THE ROAD TO SAFWAN the 1st Squadron, 4th Cavalry and the Big Red One in the Persian Gulf War." I TOTALLY can relate to most of what was written and can remember most of what happened. This was a GREAT book, and I am HONORED to have served with such brave and honorable men. Just before I read, "A Warriors Rage" and found the 2nd ACR to be worthy of praise as well in leading this war to a speedy end, though I am sure if the Government and Generals would have had it their way, the war would have at least lasted a few months. Which I believe would have been for the greater good. Had that war lasted a few months, the American people would have demanded Sadam’s head and we could not have been happier to serve it and end it then. The big fear then was comparing Desert Storm to Vietnam and trying to end it as soon as possible. This is what we were saying to our commander when they wouldn't give us the order to fire in Safwan and SSG Manigo was disappointed to not exercise his crew. I believe that had we run through those guys at Safwan and took out Sadam and his whole regime, 9/11 probably may NOT have happened as the whole Muslim world would KNOW the same lesson that the Japanese learned at the end of WWII. DO NOT F**K WITH AMERICA, THEY WILL HUNT YOU DOWN AND KILL EVERYONE ON THEIR WAY TO KILL YOU!!! War is a VERY ugly thing that MUST be won or lost to the fullest extent, or the lingering effects can take your sons/daughters, brothers/sisters, and fathers/mothers lives. So, here we are WORSE than Vietnam, the longest war in American history.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:08 pm 
Recruit

Jetmech wrote:
I served as a member of the 1st Infantry Division C BTRY 4/5th FA. I was a #1 man on a M109A4 155MM Howitzer. I figured I would post up my unit.

Hey, sorry it took so long to welcome you too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:10 pm 
Recruit

Jetmech wrote:

Sorry it took me so long to welcome you too

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:55 am 
Recruit

Jetmech wrote:

Welcome Jetmech sorry it took too long to welcome you I dont get on here that often. better late than never? I was advance party. I'm glad to served with ya!