Desert-Storm.com Community Forums

Community for Discussing the Gulf War.

A portion of any sale supports this site.

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: the movie jarheads
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:08 pm 
:?:
I just watched the movie "JARHEADS" and Im curious as to how accurate the events in the movie were portrayed. Was it true that the marines over there never saw face to face combat and that the only arabs they ran into were on Camels? Also I would like to know if the government really made the marines take special pills to circumvent the affects of the gas poisionings. That was shocking to me. I thought it was an interesting movie but maybe underplayed the danger that the soldiers were really in. I appreciate that you men fight for others rights to life, liberty and happiness but I just feel that Bush did not need to send so many troops over there, just as in operation Iraqi freedom, I was surprised to see how many troops died and how young that you men really are! Its a terrible war that I dont even think we belong in. I cant even imagine the fear and terror of being out there on that battle field, I guess thats why not a lot of women are in the war. Well Ill stop rambling for now. lol. To all you who fight for our country, I hope you all go on to live happy healthy lives. Thank you again.
Cori~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:51 am 
Author of Gulf War Chronicles

Your Gulf War Unit: Military Historian and Author
As you have demonstrated, JARHEAD was extremely misleading. When I watched it, I thought that it gave the impression that there was no real fighting in Operation Desert Storm. In fact, one of the largest tank battles in history was fought in Operation Desert Storm and the Marines met with resistance in Southern Kuwait when they breached the Saddam Line.

The Iraqis actually counterattacked the Marines on at least two occasions. The Iraqis almost overran the 1st Marine Division's Forward Command Post on the second day of the ground war. Many Marines fought gallantly in Operation Desert Storm.

Yes, the military did issue pills that would counteract the effects of some of Saddam's WMD. The military had decided that it would be better for their soldiers to take a pill than to die a horrible death from nerve gas.

As for the number of troops sent; Operation Desert Storm was an overwhelming victory. One of the reasons for this lopsided victory was that the Iraqis could not counter the sheer number of forces arrayed against them. If we would have sent that many troops to OIF, it might have been possible to bring law and order to Iraq much faster than what we have done this time around.

Unfortunately, the military had been drawn down to such an extent that it was impossible to send eight combat divisions to participate in the invasion of Iraq.

http://www.marinesinthegardenofeden.com
http://www.gwchronicles.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:59 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:02 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Battalion (ATC), 58th Aviation
Awesome pictures there. :D

http://www.gulfweb.org/
http://www.gratitudecampaign.org/fullmovie.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:38 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

I got a chance to climb around both of those tanks, couldn't resist exporing. We didn't dare climb inside as there were hand grenades and 7.62mm ammo laying loose all over the place inside. Was still neat actually climbing onto a tank and checking them out.

The ZSU-23 I was talking about was impressive, it is a mobile anti-aircraft system with (4)23mm cannons, I don't remember seeing any ammo on it though.
This is what a ZSU-23 looks like, this one is all desert painted where the one I saw was still gray.
I wouldn't be surprised if the ZSU I saw was sitting stateside somewhere due to the exellent condition it was in.

(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

- General George Patton

Last edited by Dagger X-Ray on Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: USMC Cold Steel 1/6
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:10 pm 
I served with Cold Steel in the storm. Jarhead was disgraceful and to my brothers that Iserved with during those days of hell. Our company/plt saw action up close and all around us. We were the lead assault element for 2nd Marine division. The real heroes are the ones who did not come back and men that did their job as only as hounbds from hell have always done. There is a much better storyline than Jarhead out there. Especially from the USMC side. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:22 am 
Author of Gulf War Chronicles

Your Gulf War Unit: Military Historian and Author
I agree with you SW. I tried to tell the story of the Marines of Desert Storm in "Gulf War Chronicles." My next book, "Marines in the Garden of Eden" is due out on June 6. It tells the story of the 2d Marine Regiment's battle for An Nasiriyah. It was the first major battle of OIF.

Both books tell the real story of Marines at war in the Middle East. They are nothing at all like "Jarhead."

SF

http://www.marinesinthegardenofeden.com
http://www.gwchronicles.com/

Post subject: Jarhead
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:15 am 
Recruit

Just thinking I shook hands with those Marines.......lol. Well I don't think they spent all day thinking about their girlfriends. We did some cross training with the marines up on the border and they were nothing like the movie. FYI...Courage Under Fire was to be about the 3rd ACR except after we got all the uniforms set up, someone came in and showed the director a 2nd ACR patch and he thought it was "so cute". The Tech Rep was an armor CPT. in the California National Guard that never made it to Iraq. The SCO from 2nd ACR applied for the job and this genius said that he didn't have any qualifications. "Its not who you know, its who you b***".

Post subject: Jarhead
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:16 am 
Recruit

Just thinking I shook hands with those Marines.......lol. Well I don't think they spent all day thinking about their girlfriends. We did some cross training with the marines up on the border and they were nothing like the movie. FYI...Courage Under Fire was to be about the 3rd ACR except after we got all the uniforms set up, someone came in and showed the director a 2nd ACR patch and he thought it was "so cute". The Tech Rep was an armor CPT. in the California National Guard that never made it to Iraq. The SCO from 2nd ACR applied for the job and this genius said that he didn't have any qualifications. "Its not who you know, its who you b***".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:22 pm 
Recruit

Although not directly involved in the fighting (we were tasked with the helo borne assault on Faylakah Island which was not needed)
I have to say that I was extremely disappointed with this movie.
It seems like more of a Chick-Flick (no offense intended)
Was not at all impressed with the way this unit was potrayed.

"Charlie" Company, 1st Bn., 2nd Marines

Post subject: JARHEAD THE FICTIONAL MOVIE
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:14 pm 
I AGREE WITH THE DEVIL DAWGS ABOUT THIS MOVIE. IWAS A CORPSMAN WITH 1ST BN 2ND MARDIV COMPANY "C" I BELIEVE CPL PETIT AND I SERVED TOGETHER. IWAS DOC NEWSOM,PAUL B. GOOD TO SEE YOUR STILL KICK'N CPL PETIT. TELL THOSE FELLOW MARINES ABOUT OPERATION EASTERN EXIT AND THE FIRST TIME A NIGHT TIME MIDAIR REFUELING WAS DONE NOT ONCE BUT TWICE SO WE COULD GET THERE AND SAVE THE 200 SUMODD PEOPLE THE BRASS DIDN'T TELL US ABOUT IN THAT GODFORSAKEN PLACE.HELL WE'RE LUCKY WE DIDN'T RUN OUT OF FUEL NAD CRASH IN THE OCEAN DON,T YOU JUST LOVE WHEN THE CORP TRIES THE EXPERIMENTAL SHIT OUT AT OUR EXPENSE ESPRIT DE CORP!

Post subject: marines at war
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:15 pm 
as with evryone else all those movies are a load of you now what,,I served with the 1st mar div/7 th marines,attatched to task force ripper.we were part of that tank battle that only lasted minuets. but so much was destroyed and iraqies killed it was unreal. bodies,blown up vehicles,and surrendering troops, everywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:13 pm 
Recruit

I was in a support unit (don't hate me) and spent most of the war in the rear. It was mostly boring, periodically terrifying, and "Jarhead" seemed to put that across well. Of course, no film ever made will capture the experience of war, and if one did, why the hell would anyone go see it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:21 am 
Recruit

A movie showing our war would be mostly vehicular I was the "Artist" in A trp 1/7 Cav. depictions of combat troops in this type of film are insulting.
It would be like depicting an Experienced Emergency room nurse being shown fainting from seeing bood.We were experts at what we did.

Anybody seen Jody Passeno?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:07 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Did you do drawings? If so do you have any copies that you could post pics of here? We would love to see some of the artwork.

-George Orwell

- General George Patton