Desert-Storm.com Community Forums

Community for Discussing the Gulf War.

A portion of any sale supports this site.

It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:34 pm 
Recruit

Well none from the war but Klingon Items.a beltfed shotgun and a hat I desgned.
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... id=4190198

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:45 am 
Recruit

The post from Dagger X-ray is very accurate. Even the stuff I have read that is pretty good like Franks book is not totally accurate. I was an A/O in an OH58C with 1/7 Cav 1st Cav Div. and I have been looking for accurate accounts of some of the stuff I was involved in and I have yet been able to.

I was involved in a firefight on the border shortly before the ground war started while we were visually clearing a building that we thought was being used by the Iraqi's as an OP to shoot artillery at our ground scouts that were on a screen line.

while hovering near the building and looking into the windows (it was about a 4 story building) we came under heavy artillery fire with the first round landing just to the left of us. The Iraqi's then dismounted about 50 ground troops off of trucks on the Iraqi side of the border. The Iraqi's took up prone positions and just waited to die. The Cobra we were flying with hit them with cluster munition rockets. This is typical of the type of events that happened that I have yet to read about and I am sure many others have similar experiences.

Even the KIA's that the Division took on our faint up the Wadi Al Batan is not completely accurate in franks book. There were more units involved in the faint that what has been listed and from what I remember it was a morter round that hit the Bradley and killed our guys.

I guess that's why they call it the fog of war.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:47 am 
Recruit

HeadHunter,

Do you happen to remember any of your time up there on the screen line? We flew up there a lot in support of you guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:34 pm 
Recruit

Absolutely,I seem to recall one of our pilots putting sharks teeth nose art on his Cobra.
That raid we did was with you wasn't it?We had an armor unit within sight and we raided it before the war started.After you and the A-10s did their work we captured 22000 prisoners.We really got a kick out of the low fly bys.
Did you see the UNANNOUNCED airfuel bomb go off?We MOPPed out until they got around to tell us it wasn't a nuke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:34 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division
HaHa, I would have loved to see that thing go off. Of course I would have crapped myself but I am sure it would have been awesome.

(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:46 pm 
Recruit

HH,

Yep that was us that was supporting you on the raid along with Charley company. I have pics of the cobra you are talking about with the sharks teeth. We did a lot of low passes by you guys on the way to and from the border before the ground war and I remember you guys waiving as we went by.

Looking back at my time in the desert I consider some of the best times in my life.

Post subject: Re: the movie jarheads
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:29 am 
Recruit

Your Gulf War Unit: 5/5 Cav
Total crap. Makes the whole war look like one big frat party.

Obviously the script writters had no advisor on hand who had any inkling of what a sniper is.

I couldn't sign up with my VALID email address jones27530@gmail.com. I had to go to www.mailinator.com and use a fake one. So don't contact me by clicking on my profile, the email address is disposable and I won't get your message. Email me directly: jones27530@gmail.com.