the movie jarheads

Recount your experience in the war and swap some stories.
Headhunter15E
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by Headhunter15E » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:34 pm

Well none from the war but Klingon Items.a beltfed shotgun and a hat I desgned.
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... id=4190198
Just call me crazy it saves time.
Outlaw
Recruit

Post by Outlaw » Mon May 28, 2007 11:45 am

The post from Dagger X-ray is very accurate. Even the stuff I have read that is pretty good like Franks book is not totally accurate. I was an A/O in an OH58C with 1/7 Cav 1st Cav Div. and I have been looking for accurate accounts of some of the stuff I was involved in and I have yet been able to.

I was involved in a firefight on the border shortly before the ground war started while we were visually clearing a building that we thought was being used by the Iraqi's as an OP to shoot artillery at our ground scouts that were on a screen line.

while hovering near the building and looking into the windows (it was about a 4 story building) we came under heavy artillery fire with the first round landing just to the left of us. The Iraqi's then dismounted about 50 ground troops off of trucks on the Iraqi side of the border. The Iraqi's took up prone positions and just waited to die. The Cobra we were flying with hit them with cluster munition rockets. This is typical of the type of events that happened that I have yet to read about and I am sure many others have similar experiences.

Even the KIA's that the Division took on our faint up the Wadi Al Batan is not completely accurate in franks book. There were more units involved in the faint that what has been listed and from what I remember it was a morter round that hit the Bradley and killed our guys.

I guess that's why they call it the fog of war.
Outlaw
Recruit

Post by Outlaw » Mon May 28, 2007 11:47 am

HeadHunter,

Do you happen to remember any of your time up there on the screen line? We flew up there a lot in support of you guys.
Headhunter15E
Recruit

Post by Headhunter15E » Mon May 28, 2007 2:34 pm

Absolutely,I seem to recall one of our pilots putting sharks teeth nose art on his Cobra.
That raid we did was with you wasn't it?We had an armor unit within sight and we raided it before the war started.After you and the A-10s did their work we captured 22000 prisoners.We really got a kick out of the low fly bys.
Did you see the UNANNOUNCED airfuel bomb go off?We MOPPed out until they got around to tell us it wasn't a nuke.
Just call me crazy it saves time.
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Mon May 28, 2007 3:34 pm

HaHa, I would have loved to see that thing go off. Of course I would have crapped myself but I am sure it would have been awesome.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton

Outlaw
Recruit

Post by Outlaw » Mon May 28, 2007 11:46 pm

HH,

Yep that was us that was supporting you on the raid along with Charley company. I have pics of the cobra you are talking about with the sharks teeth. We did a lot of low passes by you guys on the way to and from the border before the ground war and I remember you guys waiving as we went by.

Looking back at my time in the desert I consider some of the best times in my life.
Boyette
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: 5/5 Cav

Re: the movie jarheads

Post by Boyette » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:29 am

Total crap. Makes the whole war look like one big frat party.

Obviously the script writters had no advisor on hand who had any inkling of what a sniper is.
I couldn't sign up with my VALID email address jones27530@gmail.com. I had to go to www.mailinator.com and use a fake one. So don't contact me by clicking on my profile, the email address is disposable and I won't get your message. Email me directly: jones27530@gmail.com.