91 gulf war vet-cold steel 1/6

Recount your experience in the war and swap some stories.
silent warrior

91 gulf war vet-cold steel 1/6

Post by silent warrior » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:24 pm

Looking for any marine vets from 1/6 cold steel. The demons have come to visit me since this recent war. After the minefields was when it got down and dirty. I am proud of the job we did over there now. Semper Fi :)
darren barnett
Recruit

Post by darren barnett » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:00 pm

I was with india co. 3/6 so I'm sure we tasted the same sand, not a day goes by that I don't think about that war, thought I was the only one :?
silent warrior

cold steel

Post by silent warrior » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:18 pm

The recent war opened up the wound from 91. Glad to hear from another devil dog. we attacked the area called the ice cube which involved some bunkers and buildings. the memories have come back and it is strange at times. ultimately, better the enemy anyday than me or fellow marines during those hellish days. I am not even sure of how many were killed but I know it was brutal. I have learned how sacred life is especially when one is taking life. semper fi
KJA

Post by KJA » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:03 pm

Iam proud too. :D
KJA

Post by KJA » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:05 pm

I might join the military soon :?
darren barnett
Recruit

Post by darren barnett » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:59 am

I think my most vivid memory of the terrain was in the weeks before we breached the minefields, we could see some sort of factory in the distance on the horizon...it had 2 huge stacks that had flames coming out of them 24 /7...we came to call it the Gates of Hell as we knew we would have to go through Hell to reach it.It's strange how I can remember the smallest detail about every day over there but can't remember what I ate yesterday.
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Battalion (ATC), 58th Aviation

Post by bilbo37 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:43 am

That might come from PTSD. you could carry a note pad with you,but if you are like me I tend to lose them.
no point in doing that again.
darclegion2
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: 1st Bn 6th Marines

Re: 91 gulf war vet-cold steel 1/6

Post by darclegion2 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:54 pm

I was in 1/6 weapons PLt, Machine gunner, attached to 3rd plt on the right flank, we were in the center, we were the spearhead. I remember our fellow grunts in 3/6 well. Our track was hit by a mortar, but no effect on the tracks. Funny until that point we thought it was all outgoing, until then...then we realized we were being pounded by mortar fire....and a few times afterwards as well....we were taking arty in the 2nd breach.

We had 10-12 WIA, and I think 2 KIA, (the entire 6th Marines) but Im not sure about the KIA's , they may have been a few days later, near Aljabar airport. There were alot of mines everywhere in a warehouse, and someone tripped a booby trap, kill a few,, I remember that day..

Ive read the AAR, and I remember alot of it. I remember coming up to mortar pits abandoned, and they had throw Personel Mines all over it, and we almost stepped on them....

I got yelled out a few times for clearing trenches alone with my m-60..but it was so fucked up out here, squads would split up all of sudden when we hit trenches, and well...what do you do....when there is a trench in front of you and your by yourself...jump in.

Semper Fi,
Tom Young
1/6 Alpha Co
Wpns PLT
MGs
2nd Mar Div
Lcpl Tom Young
Alpha Co. 1/6
Wpns Plt
Machineguns
2nd Mar Div
DS/DS