CO's receive the Bronze Star and Silver Stars

Recount your experience in the war and swap some stories.
nonames

CO's receive the Bronze Star and Silver Stars

Post by nonames » Tue May 10, 2005 1:15 am

If most of you check, you will find out that your unit CO’s all received the Bronze Star and the Battalion CO’s received the Silver Star. Of course these awards where awarded in the upper level offices out of site of the troops who did the work.
I myself have a problem with it just being a political career enhancement and not what the award is intended for.
macros10
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Awards for the brass

Post by macros10 » Sun May 29, 2005 4:17 pm

Nice to hear someone mention this........we were made up of six, six man teams that operated behind enemy lines, hairy work at times, and of course we had an hq, supply, and all that. Our CO, XO, 1sg. Ops Sgt. Supply Sgt. all received bronze stars or higher, and none of them did a damn thing as far as dangerous missions, I'm not saying they didn't bust their asses doing what they did, cuz we did eat and had good intel for our missions, but comeon! Anyways, it didn't go over well with the teams and to this day I feel anger and disgust about it.

Peace,

Cpl.Collins, Dco. 124 MI. Bn. (LRSD) (formerly)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Recruit

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:38 am

I seems that you pretty much have to die to get the recognition that the higher ups get for just scratching their butts, Don't you just hate it when a higher up is asked something about an assignment that you and your team did and he starts by saying "We" did this and that. :?
RonHolden

Post by RonHolden » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:35 pm

I understand and completely simpathise with people who believe that higher ups get more awards and comendations for doing what we grunts consider much less. But, to play devils advocate I would just say that this is a practice that has been going on for as long as there has been warfare.
It is basically like this. If a commander in a combat situation does not get these recognitions he or she is all done in the military. Since it is almost a given that they receive these awards one who does not must be incompetent or worse. Its just politics. Those of us who understand this can overlook it and see it for what it really is. Dont sell yourselves short just because they have an extra ribbon that you dont.
They must play the hand dealt to them just as we must. I am sure that if you asked any of them, they would agree. We deserve equall recognition. Maybe if the military would separate commendations into combat/non-combat or commissioned/non-comissioned there would be less controversy.
silentwarrior

Cold steel in 91 gulf war-Hound from Hell

Post by silentwarrior » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:14 pm

I hear you all loud and clear. My company commander received the sivler star for the dirty work that I and my team did. there were many heroic acts when we started clearing bunkers. It hasn't changed, the officers get the awards. I did it for the man next to me and others.
Kutya

Heh heh

Post by Kutya » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:30 pm

I was in 2nd Mar Div 6th marines during DS and our worthless CO got a Silver Star during the war. When the company 1st Sgt was asked to sign the recommendation he refused and stomped out of tent city, yelling about how his father had earned a Silver Star in Vietnam and he wouldn't tarnish it by recommending our little college puke CO.
I loved that 1st Sgt!!!
silentwarrior

COld steel 1/6

Post by silentwarrior » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:46 pm

Who did you serve with in the storm. I was with 3rplt charlie 1/6. Semper Fi.
SSGRONFIN
Recruit

Post by SSGRONFIN » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:51 pm

Typical officer shit. This happend with us as well. E-6 and above, Bronze Star. E-5 and below, ARCOM. How is that right? Officers in the rear were awarded higher than the grunts on the line. BS! :evil:
4A3835

Post by 4A3835 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:07 pm

Yeah - ours was the same, I was a PFC - AAM, without exception they awarded this way - it's hardly appropriate in my opinion!
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:24 pm

My CO was given awards then kicked out of the Army shortly after we got back cuz he couldn't make his Major within the time frame the Army set yet those of us doing the dirty work got a pat on the back....if that.

Hell it took 10 years to get my DD-214 corrected to even show my D/S service....and its still missing an AAM I received in Germany before D/S even started.

I love my govt...I love my govt...I love my govt.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Battalion (ATC), 58th Aviation

Post by bilbo37 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:54 pm

Dagger X-Ray wrote:
I love my govt...I love my govt...I love my govt.

If you say that long enough you still won't beleive it. :D
3rdcavtrooper
Recruit

medals

Post by 3rdcavtrooper » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:29 am

its the same everywhere I think. My CO recieved 2 BS even though he ran in the face of the enemy. My SXO got 3 BS with V, one for going into the battle, one for being in the battle and one for leaving the battle. I had a trooper who had a bar to reenlistment, so he did all the heroics as everyone else on the team but recieved nothing, no favorable actions. They kept him past ETS for the war, but didn't get anything. My CO even stated that enlisted will get ARCOMs, Officers BS. And the rotorheads, they put in for so many Air Medals that they finally got caught for jamming up the process. We even had a CO forge a report so someone could get a BS. But thats life.
E Troop, 2/3 ACR
"When its absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight" Brave Rifles
Desert Shield/Desert Storm
achevyfan
Recruit

bs awards

Post by achevyfan » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:36 am

we had ncos in 1st ad that never left saudi get bronze stars.
j-man

Post by j-man » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:10 pm

Just for all you "IH8 OFFICERS" crowd: I was a n00b IN 2Lt with 1AD, and as with others, my platoon never fired a shot in anger (too busy taking POW's). This wasn't some sort of malevolent plot - it was simply business as usual.

The initial order I had was to award a specific percentage of my platoon the B.S. w/V, B.S., and ARCOM - I believe the split was 10/60/30. I protested the logic of this order, and was kept locked up for a good 90 min & yelled at by my CO at the Bn CP. Needless to say, the order was eventually rescinded, even though the expectation remained and some of the paperwork put off until I left.

You don't seriously believe that all these comfy-couch types would have missed their opportunity to get a B.S. w/V or better, do you? My generally worthless BC actually awarded himself the S.S., a violation if ever I heard of it. As for myself, I'm proud of my ARCOM - I know that I actually earned it.
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:08 pm

Pats on the back to J-man for telling it how it was and for actually earning his ARCOM
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton