bad memories

Recount your experience in the war and swap some stories.
ma3w69
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: 3/6 weapons company

bad memories

Post by ma3w69 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:07 am

i can remember one jarhead dieing because he dug a tunnel in the sand and it collapsed on him killing him. i visited him in the bunker the day before.
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Re: bad memories

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:31 pm

That's a shame to hear.

I never dug a tunnel but I did dig a whole about half again wider than a standard cot. I put 2 tent halves over it then a poncho and finally some cammo netting. I could stand up inside, during the day it was bearable because the ground down that deep was much cooler and the 3 layers that made up the top were spaced a foot or so apart so it broke the heat up before it could bear down inside.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton

Gunbunny
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: 4thBN/5thFA

Post by Gunbunny » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:31 pm

I remember going through this one area that had three Iraqis dead laying on the ground with a bullet hole through each of their heads. I guess that was supposed to be an example for any Iraqis that wanted to run away from Saddam or something. I remember seeing their make-shift bunkers made out of corrugated sheet metal with ditches for their defocation. On our way back we saw all the destruction to all their tanks and vehicles.
jmartinez
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: HHC 1st Engineers 1st Infantry

Post by jmartinez » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:50 pm

Hell I have lots of unwanted memories but I'll save those for another day. The one memory that stands out is of a better one. Everybody has seen the most famous picture of Gulf War, from the book the Gulf War 1991. It has a picture of a soldier on top of a tank with the oil wells in the back ground. Well that could have been me on that picture. I remember the photographer coming up to me and a few others to jump on the tank for a picture but we all told him to go f*** himself, except CPL Reg... Well that photo took him out of Iraq with in two days of it being taken, had I known that I would've jumped up there nude if he had asked. That day was a shitty one we had just finished burial detail and didn't want to be there anymore, it turn out the photographer just caught us having a bad day nothing against him. After that photo we still spent at least three more months in the sand.... Does anyone truly remember what day he returned back to the State, I don't. I barely remember being in KKMC?
J
haze
Senior Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 72nd. ENGR. CO. 197TH INF. BDE. 24TH INF

Post by haze » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:18 am

i"m pretty shore i came back in april, the friday after easter, i remember calling home at the towers, and it was on a friday when we landed at benning, cause they gave me a 4 day pass, cause i did"nt wanna use up my leave. the next month they made me take 9 days. used 2 weekend passes, an a weeks leave, i'm thinking.
my unit came back earlier than me, somebody had to stay behind to load ships, drew straws, i lost.... :roll:
72nd. ENGR. CO.
197th. INF. BDE(m)(s)
24th. INF.DIV
18th AIRBORNE CORPS
SAPPERS FORWARD!
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.

Post by redfish » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:43 pm

Somewhere towards the end of March or start of April is when the main body of the company got back. We were in Iraq until March 12th or so. Then we went back to KKMC I think for a week or so. I got sent out with tricky89 to bury a bunch of equipment for about a week and then we went to the wash rack for like 3 das and then about 2 days or so at
khobar towers.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:59 am

What kind of equipment were you all burying?
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton

redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.

Post by redfish » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:03 pm

We buried everything not drug into Iraq that was left at an old staging area that we had been at before g-day. Tents, poles, new generators, tools, boxes, parts. I'd have to ask tricky to help me remember what all was there.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
Bakaruda
Soldier
Your Gulf War Unit: D co 4th BN 66th Armor 3rd ID

Post by Bakaruda » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:29 pm

Mine has been knowing we lost a 20 year old kid there. His name was Clarence Allen Cash, 27 Feb 1991 a little after 4pm. If only he could have made it to 8am. It was in the battle of Madina Ridge.

Rest In Peace Cash!
Sgt Cary W. Snyder
D 6th Training BN Fort Sill OK. 9/83-2/84
D btry 2-61 ADA Camp Staton Korea 2/84-3/85
C Company 2/47 Inf Fort Lewis WA. 3/85-8/86
HHC 2/72 Armor Camp Casey Korea 8/86-8/87
A Company 9th Cav. Fort Knox KY. 8/87-7/89
HHC 4/66 Armor 3rd ID Ready Kaserne Germany 8/89-5/92
D Company 4/66 Armor Desert Storm 12/90-5/91
A Company 2/187 INF Fort Campbell KY. 5/92-2/94
Once a Soldier Always a Soldier!!!!!!!!!!