Desert-Storm.com Community Forums

Community for Discussing the Gulf War.

A portion of any sale supports this site.

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My piece to the mosiac
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:39 pm 
Recruit

Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment
My Piece to the mosaic that was Desert Storm
Greetings to all, Desert Storm is a topic that I do not talk about openly. It is a memory filled with pride, sadness, anger and guilt. If you feel the way I do, I look back in retrospect and ask; why didn’t we take out that bastard Hussein while we had him on the ropes. How many American lives could we have saved? Of course if we had known that then, I am sure many of us would have gladly marched on into Baghdad and given Mr. Hussein a swift kick in the ass into the after- life. After all, at that time we were running high on adrenaline, and another dead Iraqi was just one less A- hole to deal with. I deployed to Desert Shield in September 1990 and returned from Desert Storm on March 18, 1991, I told myself that was going to be the first day of the rest of my life. I soon realized that part of me had died in Iraq. My sleep pattern went to crap. While serving in Desert Storm I slept about 4 hours a night if I was lucky. After coming home, that didn’t change much. The nightmares, the constant chatter coming over the radio, the sound of tracked vehicles, and the vivid landscape of sand and sky were in my head. Being around crowds and loud noises scared the crap out of me. I felt better when it was just me in a quiet room. The constant fear that death was just around the corner made life a day to day affair. People asking “Did you kill anyone?” or hearing people remark “You guys had it easy compared to the guys in Vietnam,” saddened me and made my blood boil at the same time. Many people view our war as a “video game war”, very quick, painless and sterilized. They fail to understand that planes do not fly by themselves, tanks do not roll on their own, and weapons do not fire without someone pulling the trigger. Desert Storm, like all the rest of the wars before it, had a human element involved. General Patton in his speech to the 3rd army told his troops that Americans do not win wars by dying for their country we win wars by making the enemy die for his country. That is what we did in Desert Storm.
Today, I strive to live life as happily and comfortably as possible, but the memories and ghosts of Desert Storm are alive and well, in particular the events of February 27, 1991 at Umm Hajul.

Continue to fight the good fight
Mad Dog Bug
M Co. 3rd Squadron 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment
Brave Rifles!

"My confidence in you is total. Our cause is just! Now you must be the thunder and lightning of Desert Storm. May God be with you, your loved ones at home, and our Country." -- General H. Norman Schwarzkopf, USA Commander-in-Chief U.S. Central Command, in a message to the command, 16 January 1991

Post subject: Re: My piece to the mosiac
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:49 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.
Welcome to the forum brother. Many of us here feel the same as you do. Glad you found us.

197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:07 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division
Welcome to the forums buddy. I hope I posted the correct avatar for your unit/ If you'd rather something else then send me the URL for the pic

(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:15 pm 
Senior Vet

Your Gulf War Unit: 72nd. ENGR. CO. 197TH INF. BDE. 24TH INF
welcome brother, your not alone, there's many, way too many including myself that has a very similar story as yours. you'll enjoy this site, lots of infromation here, and a great bunch of people that can relate, listen, or just talk.
ours is a brotherhood that is'nt understood by those who never seen war.

18th AIRBORNE CORPS
SAPPERS FORWARD!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:48 am 
Recruit

Your Gulf War Unit: HHC 1st Engineers 1st Infantry
Welcome Brother
As you already know your not alone... My day Feb..25th 1991 can't escape it and a few others.
J.