Picking up the pows

Recount your experience in the war and swap some stories.
jeff broy
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Picking up the pows

Post by jeff broy » Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:15 pm

:x Went to pick up pows in Kwait we found them in fox holes that was built for them by the Elite guard. All along the coast they took a back hoe dug a trench about 100 feet long. Then put about 20-30 personal in them and mined them in with food for about 30 days. After that bob wire was put around that. Had to clear a path and get them out. When we got to them most where dead. We where told some stories about how they where drafted in the middle of the night. Given about six hours of basic training and sent to the front to fight. One guy I meet was a teacher that had not seen his wife and family for over two years. Didn't even know if they where still alive. Heard that one of his daughters had died. But didn't know if it was true. Kind of makes you fill lucky doesn't it? We later turned these pw's over and they where sent home. When they arrived they where lined up on runway and shot for getting captured. I still look at my pictures of these guys and wonder why we let them go so quick.
Wing-17
Recruit

Post by Wing-17 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:59 am

And people today think the President was crazy for sending our troops back to Iraq to get Saddam. I DO feel lucky, Jeff, and thanks for this story. These kinds of stories need to be told to the masses.
Keep the green side up and the shiney side down!
Saskia
Soldier

Post by Saskia » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:37 am

Thank you for sharing Jeff
The history of man is the history of crimes, and history can repeat. So information is a defense. Through this we can build, we must build, a defense against repetition.
Simon Wiesenthal
SSGRONFIN
Recruit

Post by SSGRONFIN » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:48 pm

Well, as much of a sad story as it is, I'm not moved. These same EPW's that given the chance, had us out numbered or in a position like they were, wouldn't be as kind as we were. Sorry, but this Vet says tough shit. Life sucks. I lost a few friends while fighting with the 3rd Inf Div. I don't give a rats ass about some sob stories of these Iraqis. I'm home alive and with my family. I don't care if Saddam killed every one of them. Sorry if you guys don't agree with me. That's how I feel.
They didn't have a problem firing back at us when we engaged them, so why should I care if they died now? EF-EM!
Headhunter15E
Recruit

Post by Headhunter15E » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:32 am

The 2nd Lt we captured was spitting on the ground and yelling Sadam's name.He was quite messed up after 2 A10 aircraft hit his unit after a cavalry raid.I hear the guerillas were waiting for us to help.
Just call me crazy it saves time.
darclegion2
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: 1st Bn 6th Marines

Re: Picking up the pows

Post by darclegion2 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:24 am

I agree, tough shit. we captured over 5000 pows, and a few times, some of them were booby trapped, I know, first hand. We had a few WIAs because of that. Im sure there were innocent people drafted in, Sadam knew he wouldnt win, and had retreat in his head, so he left is Militia for us to destroy. Kinda sad, but most hate americans...it plain to see.

tom
1/6 A Co. Wpns plt
MG's
2nd Mar Div
88-92 DS/DS
Lcpl Tom Young
Alpha Co. 1/6
Wpns Plt
Machineguns
2nd Mar Div
DS/DS
88-92 USMC
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.

Re: Picking up the pows

Post by redfish » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:05 am

I think it was a tale of two armies we fought. The "regular" army that was mostly draftees and then the RG. The RG fought. They got what they had comin'. too bad some got away. We should have hunted them down to the last man. The Iraqi's in street clothes were lambs @ the slaughter. I felt bad for them. Many with no shoes or proper clothing, no food or water. We had one who was wearing a shirt that said I love Chicago. Many regulars were killed because they were ill trained and were too scared to give up thinking we would kill'em. Some of the regulars were greatly disappointed when we could not capture them. No more room or no more time.

Our Brigade captured 4000 pow's. Most Iraqis I saw were dead.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"