Near Fratricide

Recount your experience in the war and swap some stories.
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.

Re: Near Fratricide

Post by redfish » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:54 pm

I remember we had a lot of crap which was Iraqi. We had a lot of stuff that was not damaged. We learned that the Iraqi starters for 113's and our 113's and some of our trucks we could take off and change the nose cone on the starters and interchange them. The most men in our brigade killed in one day involved a captured Iraqi trailer.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
FA1SGret
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery

Post by FA1SGret » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:09 pm

What happened with the trailer?
Desert Shield/Desert Storm/Cease Fire
3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
210th FA Bde
DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:09 pm

We were in perimeter some where between nasiriyah and basra. Two guys across the perimeter from me were burning trash. This was on march 2nd or so some time around 1600 hours. The perimeter was narrow but long. A blocking line basically. I was right across from them. The wind was blowing of course. It was grey outside that day. The fire blew in the wind and caught a captured Iraqi trailer on fire. Well, they started trying to put it out. I started laughing. (shit that was funny over there is just all wrong and morbid).

Well the trailer exploded. Evidently it waas full of ordinance. It was a small explosion. Knocked every one down. Well they got up and started trying to put out the fire. A lot of us ran toward it. Well... It really EXPLODED! It killed two men and wounded five others. I was laying on the ground looking in half a face and body staring back at me. the explosion had blown half his head off.

I have always felt responsibilty, and shame and embarrasment from that for laughing and then their deaths.

Lot of tears shed over that day. Lot of emotions. All recently. Never talked to a soul about it until recently.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
Delta1-41
Recruit

Post by Delta1-41 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:28 am

redfish wrote:I remember at some point we were in a bit of a long wide wadi. I may have been just a low area. We came to a stop. I do not recall why. We were in an area where a previous battle had occurred. There were some dead Iraqi's around. Some how we became aware of a pocket of RGF just over the horizon. A small detachment was sent out and discovered they were surrendering and were all wounded. I was back in our make shift perimeter where we had all dug in as best we could and facing outward no knowing how the RGF group were going to behave. They were still over the horizon from us.

Suddenly over the horizon comes a group of soldiers running toward us. I had sited in on one of them and removed my safety. Visibility was poor I could only see silhouettes coming at us. I was finger on trigger, squeezing toward fire when I realized the on running soldiers were some of ours.
WHOA!!! When I started reading this I started freaking out. I kept thinking to myself, "Was this guy in the unit that blasted my platoon?" And then I noticed that you were in 24th ID during the war, so it couldn't have been you as the 24th ID was considerably further north than my unit.

I was with 2nd AD (FWD) out of Germany and we fulfilled 1st ID's 3rd brigade element. So pretty much anything you read about 1st ID during the war also means 2nd AD (FWD).

[EDIT: I'm going to file this under 'Too Much Information'] I have a tendency to spill my guts and then get shy about it.
Last edited by Delta1-41 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2nd Armored Division (FWD), 1-41 Infantry
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:03 pm

I've read some reports of that nature. Bradley's and 113's engaged by our own. Guess it happens. I started reading your response and was thinking of all the cooked off rounds we kept getting in and around our perimters. Seemed frequent.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
FA1SGret
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery

Post by FA1SGret » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:09 pm

Not to sound stupid or anything, but I'll bet it was funny at the time watching those folks step and fetching trying to get a burning trailer put out.

But then the explosion and the laughter stops ...

Shit happens don't it.
Desert Shield/Desert Storm/Cease Fire
3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
210th FA Bde
DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:14 pm

T'was unpleasant.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:46 am

The trailer incident was what my shrink calls my 'alpha trauma'. It was barely mentioned in the 18th airborne corps AAR but it changed my actions during storm and nearly destroyed my life. I've felt sad, ashamed , angry and guilty about what happened that day. I've questioned now how that incident could have so much power over me?

The trailer went up so fast and exploded with such power my therapist asked if maybe it was booby trapped? You know, damn it might have been. That would change a lot of things but there is no way of ever finding out.

I am only now able to discuss it without crying and then feeling rage.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
darclegion2
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: 1st Bn 6th Marines

Post by darclegion2 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:29 am

same kinda stuff almost happened to us, I was in 1/6 and Charlie Co pulled infront of us (unknownly), but some tanks engaged our own tanks, and a few friendly tanks were hit, and we were lining up for a fire fight when it came over that they were receiving 50cal rounds, we almost had a fire fight with another Company. This all happend around 9pm at night, in pitch black night, in the heart of the oil smoke....it was really frustrating situation...luckily only a few were injured, I believe one tank was destroyed. Tanks were having trouble seeing even with thier night vision in the smoke.

It all happened, about the first night, right before we dug in for the night. Shortly after we were hit with two frog missles..before we like...why the hell should we dig in...we cant even see each other...then I mean almost right as I said that to myself...there was two massive explosions...behind us (this happened alot) but they were extremely large explosions, and loud as hell...but a total miss thank God....we dug in that night...and I remember it rained Black rain.
Lcpl Tom Young
A Co 1/6 Wpns Plt
MGs
2nd Mar div
88-92 DS/DS
Lcpl Tom Young
Alpha Co. 1/6
Wpns Plt
Machineguns
2nd Mar Div
DS/DS
88-92 USMC
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:52 am

Wow darc. We never had black rain. We were up further than the oil fields. It was a wierd gray color outside though and a gray precipitant. It was oily black @ night though but we could still lock in. Everything burning though was like looking at night at the sky towards a city when it is cloudy and foggy. It gave off an eerie glow.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
darclegion2
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: 1st Bn 6th Marines

Post by darclegion2 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:47 pm

Yea, I put my hand infront of my face, and others as well, we couldnt see our hands 3" or so from our face...thats what prompted us not to dig in, (it was more of a joke not too)...but we had few guys put thier rifles down and almost lost them...but this was a night...it had to be outside somewhere close to the second minefield belt. There were alot of oil wells around burning....more so than to the NE...to the south of Kuwait there were tons of oil wells. Its pretty much where Sadam massed his tanks in the beginning.

It got easier to see on the 2nd and 3rd day.

On the 3rd day at dusk, the sky was almost blood red..but eerie..right before we got that stupid cease fire. Just to let them go home and regroup. We were ready to roll.
Lcpl Tom Young
Alpha Co. 1/6
Wpns Plt
Machineguns
2nd Mar Div
DS/DS
88-92 USMC
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:03 pm

The cease fire was literally a few hours too early. A few more hours and another two divisions of RG woulda been done. As it was they still had a skirmish after the cease fire where I think it was 1st Brigade 24 ID got fired on and they tore that a$$ up. We should have hunted the RG down. Not just the ones we had trapped, but all of them.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
haze
Senior Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 72nd. ENGR. CO. 197TH INF. BDE. 24TH INF

Post by haze » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:56 am

i remember that, about the trailer catching fire. sad day that was....if i remember right that was right after we started the demo operation. thats where you got all the cooked off rounds coming in ......sorry about that....but that was"nt all of our fault on the incoming rounds.i"ll tell ya that story, of what i can remember, some other time.
72nd. ENGR. CO.
197th. INF. BDE(m)(s)
24th. INF.DIV
18th AIRBORNE CORPS
SAPPERS FORWARD!
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:09 am

From what I remember about that time was the cooked of rounds were from th 36th I think. It was areserve unit attached to used that did the demo wrong a number of times
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
haze
Senior Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 72nd. ENGR. CO. 197TH INF. BDE. 24TH INF

Post by haze » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:17 am

i"m not for sure if they was reserve or guard unit. i still have the old orders of march and of what units, & their company co"s listed for the 197th. i"d have to dig it up. we still had men down range when they set their charges off ...they took cover in a bunker that had"nt been wired yet... i remember watching the arty rounds skipping off the sand like skippinga rock across a pond.
72nd. ENGR. CO.
197th. INF. BDE(m)(s)
24th. INF.DIV
18th AIRBORNE CORPS
SAPPERS FORWARD!