Desert-Storm.com Community Forums

Community for Discussing the Gulf War.

A portion of any sale supports this site.

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: so much time gone by. How are other's lives? MINE IS Hell
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:34 pm 
Recruit

I believe alot of these problems were caused by some of the anti biological agent shots alot of people volunteered for. I remember them clearly stating these agents have not been tested and that it was our choices whether to accept the shot or not. I was one out of eight who did not take the shot. My first sergeant did not get in line and that was enough to convince me not to do it. Most of the guys who did are having health issues while I am not.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:17 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division
There were no choices when they lined us up. Many of us were apprehensive about getting the shots and taking those damn PB pills but we basically had no choice. We were really against the PB pills prior to even leaving the port but when the scuds started flying overhead and Patriots were taking them out, we started popping them like candy for fear of what might be raining down upon us.

(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:35 pm 
Lifer

Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
I took them, but I had to sign a waiver. The waiver itself never made it out of the desert. I took everything offered; the bromide tablets were mandatory, but the anthrax and, I think, botulism were offered, but I had to sign the waiver to get them.

DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:25 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
FA1SGret wrote:
I took them, but I had to sign a waiver. The waiver itself never made it out of the desert. I took everything offered; the bromide tablets were mandatory, but the anthrax and, I think, botulism were offered, but I had to sign the waiver to get them.

We never had a choice of any of it. Got it all and of course it was never documented.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:56 pm 
Senior Vet

Your Gulf War Unit: 1087th Trans Co.
yeah they took the ones of us who were going across the berm to the medical hospital and we had to take the shots.. no choice in the matter.. yeah we signed a book. a reg note book with your name and ser number... so what happened to the book?.. no stamping of med Records......and the pills... you can guess where we put them..our top didn't take them so we didn't take them... oh Our Capt. was a Nam vet F-4 back seater.USAF. He was no leader.U didn't see very much of him. me and 3 others where assigned to a trans unit out of Germany and some from the other 2 plts where busted up to different units also.. so in other words our Headquarters, Main sect and plt leadership and younger soldiers stayed back at LBE and ... we didn't see our company for 2 months.... when we came back they acted like they where jealous of us... the only ones to welcome us back was our squad sections...

16th support group
4th Trans Batt.
1087 Trans Co.
Road Warrior
SSG Retired..... 1976-1997
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you.
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G.I.
"One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!"
Life Member VFW Post 9573

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:06 pm 
Soldier

Yes. I remember being given the pills. I also remember taking the pills. I was nineteen yrs old and was doing what my platoon Sgt told me to do. I don't remember signing a book though.

(04/89 - 11/89) Ft. Sill Ok
(11/89 - 12/89) Ft. Benning Ga
(12/89 - 12/90) 263rd Maint. Co. 1st Maint. Battalion Boeblingen, Germany
(12/90 - 06/91) Desert Shield/Desert Storm
(06/91 - 12/91) Back to Germany

Post subject: Re: so much time gone by. How are other's lives? MINE IS Hel
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:14 pm 
Recruit

Your Gulf War Unit: F co !st AVN 1st ID
I just found this website again. I amin the same boat as most of the people here. I was forced into retirement because of all the pain I am in all over my body. My memory is horrible. I can hardly sleep.

I take pain meds daily just to try an dget some relief. My kids are now grown. but during their life I have been so limited on what I can do with them. I now cannot even go to walmart with my wife with out have to sit on a bench while she shops. Just losing your basic motor skills is a horrible way to live.

So lucky my wife at least tries to understand. Even though for awhile she did not...peopel that were not there or do not suffer from the crap that so many of us do. Will never understand.

I have been battleing with VA for years now. have done the Gulf review exam and all..

I even reported long ago and so did my bro-in -law about teh chem alrams that went crazy that day in Febuary. We were told it was helicopter fuel. Funnything is there wa sno birds inteh area.

ME and my pro-in-law were in two totally different locations. And both said and say teh same thing.

SO yes we all feel the pain. :(

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:12 am 
Recruit

Your Gulf War Unit: 24 id / 416th trans
i was in the 416th trans unit , i remember taking the pills and my heart feeling like is was comming out of my chest and my ears began to ring , the ringing has never gone away , i also got the shots as well and didnt think much of them untill i found this web site , and i also remember the alams that went off in febuary , that was a site , i do remember when we did come home about a month went by and i woke up and could not at all get out of bed due to the pain i felt in my legs and hips , i had to crawl out of bed to the phone and call my co , the took me to sick call and nothing was ever found , i have delt with it sence i etsed out of the army , anger issues and night mares have become part of my life , dealing with the pain each day hoping it will just go away , there is something to all this i do belive i just wish our gov would be more at hand to help , im just now going to the va after all these years and going threw the system , and from what i have seen here it looks like a very long haul , every time i go its a differnt pill to take , it is amazing to see so many of us who where there dealing with the same thing , i wish us all the best of luck , this site is a great means of comunication

gob bless

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:42 am 
Recruit

Your Gulf War Unit: 1st marine davision HQ company, 1st comm.
dam good steaks, thanks. check in the va hospitol psy. ward, tell them happen over there, and whats wrong know. stay as long as you can.?