Page 2 of 3

Re: 24th infantry division

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:14 am
by Dagger X-Ray
doublecheese wrote:I ets left FT. BENNING, AND hulled assssss down I-75 to FLA. {NEVER LOOKED BACK} :lol:
And you ended up in Alaska?

Re: R/R

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:44 pm
by Desertrat24thID
I remember passing KKMC, but never went in.

I was in D Co. 724th SB, 24th ID. I got 1 new uniform in exchange for an old one. We were also allowed to exchange a pair of boots. Unfortunately I got a pair of jungle Boots in trade for 'cruit boots, not the desert boots.

For some reason the Supply Sgt. didn't believe me when I tried to do a turn in later on!

Re: R/R

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:02 am
by FA1SGret
We were around KKMC, I remember hearing about it a lot, but I never entered it. The closest I got to any type of facility was the phone banks ... they'd just be in the middle of nowhere with nothing else around them ... just a huge tent with a generator and satellite dish.

We did get two sets of desert camo ... the week before we left ... they wanted us looking like desert warriors when we arrived back in Germany.

I also heard of KFMC, it was way down south.

Re: R/R

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:47 pm
by shasto
yea, kfmc was down near DAHARAM. they only used it for a little while. but their were no troops stationed there. (as far as i kmow)

Re: R/R

Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:37 am
by FA1SGret
I thought they used KFMC initially, but then started moving folks out of Dahran into the abandoned bedouin villages outside the city.

I think the Centcom staff stayed at KFMC ... but I may be wrong.

Re: R/R

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:32 am
by Redleg13f2h
I almost forgot all about that part of it. I was actually put on the midnight shift at the burger stand for a few weeks at KKMC. It was better than some details, but never got any sleep. After freezing throughout the war, it was too hot to sleep during the day by then. The little PX was full of flea market type crap. At least the food was good, got to keep fairly clean, and occasionaly had time to catch a movie. We got our 2 issues and order to put them away until the flight home. Apparently, the brigade or division had them ready initially, but lost them in a supply fire, along with some new equipment we were expecting. Thats when they created the "Beware of the elite units from Germany wearing green" propoganda.

Re: R/R

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:37 pm
by Sgt. Philip Howells
Redleg13f2h wrote:I almost forgot all about that part of it. I was actually put on the midnight shift at the burger stand for a few weeks at KKMC. It was better than some details, but never got any sleep. After freezing throughout the war, it was too hot to sleep during the day by then. The little PX was full of flea market type crap. At least the food was good, got to keep fairly clean, and occasionaly had time to catch a movie. We got our 2 issues and order to put them away until the flight home. Apparently, the brigade or division had them ready initially, but lost them in a supply fire, along with some new equipment we were expecting. Thats when they created the "Beware of the elite units from Germany wearing green" propoganda.

That was Wolf Burgers if I remember, it was better than MRE's and safer than local food.

Re: R/R

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:46 pm
by Redleg13f2h
doublecheese wrote:Does anybody remember going to some place called king fahds military city? we had cheeseburgers and movies. They showed the movie(DO THE RIGHT THING). We had a good time, about a month before the air war.

Yeah, I think that's the place I was stuck on detail at while the rest of the unit got vehicle ready for turn in. They were big dome tents with camo nets over the picnic tables for shade. I worked at the burger shack, cutting buns in half and prepping food all night long. SUpposedly a gift from the king. He wanted to pay us a bonus, but Bush wouldn't let him because we would then be mercinaries. He bought burgers and pop instead. Had a PX in one big tent and tv's with vcr's in another. Trying to sleep during the day sucked. It was getting pretty hot by then.

Re: R/R

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:30 pm
by Bakaruda
What was R/R? I never went.

Re: R/R

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:32 pm
by tricky89
Bakaruda wrote:What was R/R? I never went.
You didn't miss anything, it was just a quick make shift place to tie people over that had been there since late july and august. It wasn't far from the port. Many of us didn't want to go becuse we had our bunkers or fox holes set up and we were comftorable. Trust me, it was more trouble than it was worth. But the the food was good,but not like home. It wasn't KKMC, it was another of his military instalations. We saw a movie, and ate, and went back to some area like a rock quarey with tents and slept and left the next day.

Re: R/R

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:16 pm
by Bakaruda
Thanks, I had a couple of soldiers who went. I was at KKMC for about 48 hours before heading heading back to Germany.

Re: R/R

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:10 pm
by redfish
Didn't we go to half moon bay for half a day in December Trick? Did you go in our group, the 2nd and last group? They made us go if I remember. I think it went ok but we were hoping for a party barge we had heard rumors about that was out in the gulf

Re: R/R

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:05 pm
by tricky89
redfish wrote:Didn't we go to half moon bay for half a day in December Trick? Did you go in our group, the 2nd and last group? They made us go if I remember. I think it went ok but we were hoping for a party barge we had heard rumors about that was out in the gulf
We went for a day and a half, we got there late in the afternoon, they had a couple of tvs and pop corn and a mess line set up. Then the next day we got up and they took us to that place,but i didn't know it was called half moon bay, i think all of us was together, they kinda made us go,and yes it was in late nov or the first week of December. I remember you there becuse i think we were all on the bus on the way back.

Re: R/R

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:34 pm
by redfish
Is that when we were trying to run from side to side on the bus and turn it over?

Re: R/R

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:55 pm
by tricky89
redfish wrote:Is that when we were trying to run from side to side on the bus and turn it over?
I dont remember that, but i remember it was dark when we got back to camp that evening and we had a meeting about the coming days of the war. Remember we chilled out, drank coffe and listen to that lame ass armed forces radio. It was getting quite cool in the evenings.