Desert-Storm.com Community Forums

Community for Discussing the Gulf War.

A portion of any sale supports this site.

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: R/R
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:56 am 
Recruit

Does anybody remember going to some place called king fahds military city? we had cheeseburgers and movies. They showed the movie(DO THE RIGHT THING). We had a good time, about a month before the air war.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:04 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division
KKMC? I heard all about it but 1st Infantry didn't go there. we were all at Khobar Towers.

(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:03 am 
Recruit

yea, i remember kkmc, that was way north. this place was not far from daharam, saudi. it was a real small place. it had a lake, movie theater, restraunt etc....etc. they bused us there, maybe 30 miles from AAA COLUMBUS. we got to like some kind of dust bowl place, some hudge sheds. it had free pop corn, coke, pizza, and two big screen TVs. IT sucked! I dont remember where we slept, but the next day we went to this place that was nice. we ate good! later that day they took us back to the fox holes. it was a joke becuse we didnt have any tents , we slept on top of our bulldozer. I do remember passing thru kkmc later, a day or so before the ground offensive took place. WE had mine field detail north of the border.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:03 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
I have never heard of that place. That would have been cool to go to. The only time I saw a movie over there was when I went to a National Guard unit to fix some helicopters and we had to stay the night. Hot showers, hot food, movies, and everyone treated us with respect. I think that the unit was from Texas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:55 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division
Never made it to KKMC, I was at Khobar Towers. I was several buildings down and around the corner from where terrorists blew up that fuel tanker and killed a bunch of guys back in the 1996.

After Desert Storm or the "campaign" as I hear it called nowadays, we saw movies at Khobar (first place I ever saw Navy Seals with Charley Seen) and I am sure I saw a few others there too. We had several food places, jewely places, makeshift PX's run by locals selling everything bootleg they could get their hands on. We got to go into Dhahran (without weapons) and do whatever. I remember a mall there that had DS tshirts galore (talked about in other posts here too) and a steak house that I still remember drooling over after we left...that camel sure tasted good...j/k, it was probably real beef.

(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:19 pm 
Recruit

We went to kobar towers before we came home, we got new uniforms and showers. then we went to the airfield and came home. ONE thing though, i got lucky when i was at the towers, our movment orders came from 18th airbourne corp., but we also had movment orders for 24th id. My friend and i were able to get isued to sets of uniforms and boots! it was cool as hell!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:26 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

We didn't get new uniforms or boots when we left the big sand box. We were issued a desert uniform right after the war ended and they were pretty beat up by the time we left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:39 pm 
Senior Vet

Your Gulf War Unit: 1087th Trans Co.
we didn't get new cloths either. Burn't our tent and left them in the desert. flew in to kobar towers, flew out from KKMC. all I remember of Kobar towers was the scuds being shot down and the food that a dog wouldn't eat...the meat stunk what ever it was.

16th support group
4th Trans Batt.
1087 Trans Co.
Road Warrior
SSG Retired..... 1976-1997
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you.
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G.I.
"One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!"
Life Member VFW Post 9573

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:58 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

I got hooked on arab food over there, I am glad that I live where it is the largest arab population outside the middle east. The food is sooooooo goooooooddddddd.

Post subject: 24th infantry division
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:38 pm 
Recruit

Didn't see any movies just sand, camels and alot of blown up everything. Highway 8 in Iraq might have seemed like it was from a movie but wow! The Towers was my lay over just before coming home.

Post subject: Re: 24th infantry division
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:19 am 
Recruit

rocky wrote:
Didn't see any movies just sand, camels and alot of blown up everything. Highway 8 in Iraq might have seemed like it was from a movie but wow! The Towers was my lay over just before coming home.
We only seen one, i dont know why they draged us there. I think 24th ID was kind of shined on becuse the attention that was payed by the brass at that time. trust me it was more trouble than it was worth. As far as new uniforms,,, sombody besides the 24th inf. got new stuff, becuse their were 2 divisions of quarter masters from all components, working it. we were in line for maybe 3 hours. their were tons of soldiers in line. IT was an order by DOD. THE contract with the air lines said we had to be spotless, and i dont blame them, if we would have came home in what we had, we would have REEKED! as far as i remember that was the only shower i had, .... besides hore baths. the gear we had was worthless. we would have looked like hell ariving home. GENERAL MCCAFFERY, WAS NOT LETTIN THAT HAPPEN. (MY HATS OFF TO HIM FOR THAT) IT MADE it so much easier to deploy home. WEAPON AND BAYONETT, THATS ALL MOST OF US TOOK HOME.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:08 pm 
Senior Vet

Your Gulf War Unit: 1087th Trans Co.
doublecheese wrote:
rocky wrote:
We only seen one, i dont know why they draged us there. I think 24th ID was kind of shined on becuse the attention that was payed by the brass at that time. trust me it was more trouble than it was worth. As far as new uniforms,,, sombody besides the 24th inf. got new stuff, becuse their were 2 divisions of quarter masters from all components, working it. we were in line for maybe 3 hours. their were tons of soldiers in line. IT was an order by DOD. THE contract with the air lines said we had to be spotless, and i dont blame them, if we would have came home in what we had, we would have REEKED! as far as i remember that was the only shower i had, .... besides hore baths. the gear we had was worthless. we would have looked like hell ariving home. GENERAL MCCAFFERY, WAS NOT LETTIN THAT HAPPEN. (MY HATS OFF TO HIM FOR THAT) IT MADE it so much easier to deploy home. WEAPON AND BAYONETT, THATS ALL MOST OF US TOOK HOME.
I flew over in a C141 and flew back home in a C5A....sent over with 2 duffel bags and a m16 and came back with 2 duffel bags and a m16. the only thing we got new when we returned was new trucks and trailers...

16th support group
4th Trans Batt.
1087 Trans Co.
Road Warrior
SSG Retired..... 1976-1997
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you.
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G.I.
"One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!"
Life Member VFW Post 9573

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:56 pm 
Recruit

Rickey Nelson wrote:
doublecheese wrote:
rocky wrote:
I flew over in a C141 and flew back home in a C5A....sent over with 2 duffel bags and a m16 and came back with 2 duffel bags and a m16. the only thing we got new when we returned was new trucks and trailers...
ITS all good, like i said" it was only for the {BRASS}, WE LANDED in bangor main first, they just wanted a show. IM not sayin we were better, it was just a show. we never did get our old equp. back. they disbanneded our unit and became somthing else. I was on my way to E.T.S.I was glad, I ets left FT. BENNING, AND hulled assssss down I-75 to FLA. {NEVER LOOKED BACK} :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:56 pm 
Recruit

Rickey Nelson wrote:
doublecheese wrote:
rocky wrote:
ITS all good, like i said" it was only for the {BRASS}, WE LANDED in bangor main first, they just wanted a show. IM not sayin we were better, it was just a show. we never did get our old equp. back. they disbanneded our unit and became somthing else. I was on my way to E.T.S.I was glad, I ets left FT. BENNING, AND hulled assssss down I-75 to FLA. {NEVER LOOKED BACK} :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:00 am 
Recruit

doublecheese wrote:
Rickey Nelson wrote:
doublecheese wrote:
rocky wrote:
OR MAYBE I DID.