The Call - A Mechanic's Story

Recount your experience in the war and swap some stories.
MKopack
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by MKopack » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:34 pm

Well, there it is, at least so far. I hope that you have enjoyed reading, if you've gotten this far...

For more information on our unit, and our deployment, with more stories and over 250 photos, please visit the Lucky Devils website:

3.7 million pounds or ordinance, 1303 sorties, 42 days. The "Forgotten 1000". The Lucky Devils in the Gulf War: http://www.lucky-devils.net

Mike Kopack
jhbock
Recruit

Re: The Call - A Mechanic's Story

Post by jhbock » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:10 pm

Dear sir: I have found your story to be well written, informative and just what I needed to fill in some blanks. I am writing a mystery and my hero is a Desert Storm vet. What I had and have need of is background information about the weather, the tents, the way time is spent, and the scenery. I will use this in my story for observations by the hero about where he lives in southeast AZ. Such comments as, "This is as cold as that January near kuwait City." can now be made with confidence. I am a retired biology professor (married, female) from a university in the Rocky Mountains, but I have spent a great deal of time down on the Borderlands of Arizona and Sonora doing research and that is the setting for my book. I would be most pleased to acknowledge you in the credits if my book gets published. I will let you read a little of it if you'd like. Sincerely,
Nancy
Recruit

Re: The Call - A Mechanic's Story

Post by Nancy » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:37 pm

Michael - I don't know if any part of your story fits these guidelines, but we are looking for a few good stories from the Gulf for this anthology. I hope to hear from you.

Nancy Leigh Harless, Co-Editor TO THE RESCUE

Call for Stories From Disaster Healthcare Workers

Kaplan Publishing, the publisher of a broad range of educational and consumer books by and for nurses, physicians, paramedics, and other healthcare workers, is now accepting stories for a new and exciting anthology, To The Rescue: Stories from Healthcare Workers at the Scene of Disaster.

About To The Rescue

Devastating fires, hurricanes, earthquakes, and other natural disasters are ongoing concerns in every part of the world. The personal stories of people who go to the scene and interact with survivors will be of great interest to both the world community and to people who work in these fields.

To The Rescue: Stories from Healthcare Workers at the Scene of Disaster is an anthology of stories by healthcare workers, from a variety of specialties, who have gone to the scenes of disasters, whether in their hometowns or across the world.

Story Guidelines

Kaplan wants to tell your story.

 If you are a nurse, physician, paramedic, or other healthcare professional, please share your unique experience of working during a flood, a fire, a hurricane, a tsunami, a mudslide, a famine, an earthquake, or a conflict, and what it was like to interact with those directly affected by these disaster events.

 Tell us how disaster response/relief work has helped to shape you into the person that you are today. Your story shouldn’t be a medical report—make us laugh, make us cry; allow your words to open the doors to your experiences for the reader.

 All stories must be true and previously unpublished stories from your personal experience. Exceptions for previously published stories may be made if you retain the copyright.

 The tone of your story should be inspiring, poignant and, when appropriate, humorous.

 Submit stories in Microsoft Word, 12-point Times New Roman, double-spaced with a story title and word count.

 Each submission should include your name, address, phone number, and email address.

 Tell a story that has a beginning, middle, and end. Write from your heart about a life-changing or life-defining experience.

 Authors may submit multiple stories.

 All manuscripts selected for publication will be subject to editing.

Before final acceptance, you will receive an agreement that outlines the terms and conditions of publication.

Submission Guidelines

 Submission Deadline: February 21, 2009

 Submissions can be sent via email or mail to:

(Email) KaplanStories@live.com

Cite the story title in the subject line. You can type the story into the body of the email or send an attachment in Microsoft Word as outlined above. Only one submission per email.

 Payment: $100 if published, along with two complimentary copies of the book

 Story Length: 1,000 – 2,500 words

 Point of View: First person

Due to the volume of submissions we receive, we cannot acknowledge receipt of submissions or provide status updates. You will be notified by e-mail if your story is selected for publication. Manuscripts will not be returned.