Desert-Storm.com Community Forums

Community for Discussing the Gulf War.

A portion of any sale supports this site.

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kobar Towers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:01 pm 
Recruit

Those pics bought back many memories, some great ones in fact, and yes the mall, my house is filled with many memories and I left plenty of dollars there. I stayed in Khobar for 3 months before moving on to Kuwait and moving into a warehouse for quarters. :)
I also have the fond memories of going to the British quarters off base, that was the place to be. :P

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:05 am 
Recruit

Gregster what unit were you with because that was my patch.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:35 pm 
Recruit

I was in a very unique position, I had no attachments, I went as a volunteer as my unit was not being sent over. I worked with various units over there, I cleaned out Kohbar towers, worked at camp jill, worked supply, did the car wash, you name it I did it. I was like a freelance soldier. No one knew what to do with me so if I didn't like something I moved on. I went to Kuwait after 3 months and worked in the office at first then moved to MWR, I loved it and stayed until they found out I was not an American citizen after being in for 12 years, they made me come back to the States to take my Citizenship. I remember a Capt. Dodson, couldn't stand him.

Post subject: Re: Khobar Towers
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:14 pm 
Senior Vet

Your Gulf War Unit: 1087th Trans Co.
Me wrote:
So you are talking 1996 for that respective photo huh? Do you know of a site where there are more photos of it? Remember the px there?

the px I remember in 1990 was in a parking garage. was only there for 1 week then to port to pick up our trucks and off to Log Base Echo. them damn scud attacks could sure mess up some good sleep...we could see the Patriot's from our building. what a sight when they went off.

16th support group
4th Trans Batt.
1087 Trans Co.
Road Warrior
SSG Retired..... 1976-1997
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you.
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G.I.
"One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!"
Life Member VFW Post 9573

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:18 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division
Shame they only hit half their targets though.

(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:14 pm 
Recruit

I got there on new years eve, 1990, we stayed there for a few weeks then it was off to the desert. I got a picture

Attachments:
File comment: New Year at Kobar!
HappyNewYear!.jpg
HappyNewYear!.jpg [ 44.31 KiB | Viewed 6548 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:03 pm 
Recruit

I was also in Kobar Towers. I got there on 24 Dec 1990. Live in tent city for a small while. Then moved to Kobar Towers for the remainder of our tour. PV2 Meixel. 471st trans co. Ft Sill, OK.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:59 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Rotgut1AD wrote:
I got there on new years eve, 1990, we stayed there for a few weeks then it was off to the desert. I got a picture

Hey, that looks like my elbow on the edge of the floor above you.

(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

- General George Patton

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:10 pm 
Senior Vet

Your Gulf War Unit: 1087th Trans Co.
rob keller wrote:
I fondly remember the short time my unit spent at Khobar Towers. We were on our way back home and stayed there for a few days before going to King Fahd Airport.

The funny thing was that the reason our troops were able to stay there was because the Saudi government built the place for the Beaudoin's to live there but they declined so the whole place stood empty.

I also remember the mall that was there. I also remember the Safeway store that wasn't too far either. I believe there was a KFC in the same shopping center. My LT bought all the stuff to make home made wine.

Yeah there was a KFC there. My unit was there for 2 weeks while waiting on our trucks to be delivered to port. We drove the busses hauling troops to LBE, LBB, I remember hauling a Arty unit out of Ark to LBE and would u know on the third bus there where 2 brothers I grew up with and was in the same Ms. unit together.

16th support group
4th Trans Batt.
1087 Trans Co.
Road Warrior
SSG Retired..... 1976-1997
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you.
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G.I.
"One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!"
Life Member VFW Post 9573

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:30 am 
Lifer

Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
The artillery unit out of Arkansas ... that was an 8" cannon unit ... correct?

DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:26 pm 
Recruit

Gosh, those pics bring back so many memories. I was there twice. My first stay there was only for about two weeks, then we stayed at a small compound about 15Km from Kobar that had nothing but TCN's living there. The last time I was there the pizza shop turned into Dominos Pizza serving goat cheese on the pizza's. Man did it stunk but it was something from home. Shortly after my last stay there at Kobar it was hit by a bomb attack. I'll look for my pics of Kobar Towers.

And Dagger, that was my elbow in that pic. LOL. Kobar was like a melting pot. Does any one remember the pool over at King Fahd ?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:56 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

I was kidding about the elbow part and I did go to a KFC over in an American zone I gues it was called, it was where mostly American contractors and their families lived. The chicken pices were very small compared to stateside, I guess it wasn't all hormoned up to size and so on. I remember a mall there that had a steak house in it that we ate at sseveral times, the place also had several thirt stores which is where I got my coule of DS shirts which have long since departed me through holes and falling apart after the 5th or 6th wash.

-George Orwell

- General George Patton

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:12 pm 
Recruit

Dagger X-Ray wrote:
I was kidding about the elbow part and I did go to a KFC over in an American zone I gues it was called, it was where mostly American contractors and their families lived. The chicken pices were very small compared to stateside, I guess it wasn't all hormoned up to size and so on. I remember a mall there that had a steak house in it that we ate at sseveral times, the place also had several thirt stores which is where I got my coule of DS shirts which have long since departed me through holes and falling apart after the 5th or 6th wash.

I know Dagger you were only fun'n about the elbow, so was I. What ever picture is posted, we can all relate. I know since I've been on this website it's drum up so much of the past in my mind, some bad but for the most part some really fond memories.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:22 pm 
Recruit

Dagger X-Ray wrote:
Shame they only hit half their targets though.

You know what's funny Dagger ? All those Patriot Missiles being launch was the main body of my unit. I was in the Stinger Plt that was supporting them. They did hit most of what they shot at. But Patriot is a Surface to Air not a Missile to Missile, but it did work several times.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:13 am 
Lifer

Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
Didn't get any steaks, no pools, no towers ... Dec 20 to May ?? ... tents when we arrived, tents when we left ...

DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next