Question about 'Gulf War' vets...

Looking for someone from Desert-Storm? Try posting here.
CuriousFriend
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: nonexx

Question about 'Gulf War' vets...

Post by CuriousFriend » Sat May 12, 2012 12:19 am

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I kind of need help with something...

A friend of mine recently started dating a really shady guy who claims he's a Gulf War vet and has PTSD (and can't work because of it), but the dates just don't add up - he would have been 15 or 16 when he was supposedly enlisted. He also claims that because of a 'typo', he's not able to get any kind of help from the government, so she has to support him. My question is this: is there a site where I can look up his name to see if he did in fact serve? I'm thinking maybe he is, at the very least, older than he says he is??

It's just so frusterating!!
I thought if I could find some kind of proof, I could knock some sense into her head... :x

Thanks in advance for your help, and a huge THANK YOU for your service!
tricky89
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 197th Inf. 72nd ENG. CO

Re: Question about 'Gulf War' vets...

Post by tricky89 » Sat May 12, 2012 9:25 am

CuriousFriend wrote:I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I kind of need help with something...

A friend of mine recently started dating a really shady guy who claims he's a Gulf War vet and has PTSD (and can't work because of it), but the dates just don't add up - he would have been 15 or 16 when he was supposedly enlisted. He also claims that because of a 'typo', he's not able to get any kind of help from the government, so she has to support him. My question is this: is there a site where I can look up his name to see if he did in fact serve? I'm thinking maybe he is, at the very least, older than he says he is??

I thought if I could find some kind of proof, I could knock some sense into her head... :x

Before you investigate him, you need to make sure your facts are staight,make sure of his age,becuse he could hace been active duty at age 17,i was my first enlisment,becuse if your wrong,you may find yourself out of a friend, Gulf war veterans have always been denied somthing due to paper work,it's not uncomon. As far as actual document, if you ask to see his DD-214 would be really foward, if he is a real veteran, it would be really sad day you would to prove it to another American,best advise, let it go unless he is hurting sombody.
197th inf. 72nd engr. Heavy Junk
Animal
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th INF 197th 72 Engineers/18th Airborne Corps

Post by Animal » Sun May 13, 2012 6:12 pm

Trickey, very good advice ,you are a wise man in your comment ,hope to find you are doing well and hope to meet with you again one day.
DESERT SHIELD/DESERT STORM
197TH/72 ENGINEERS/24TH INF. DIV.
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.

Post by redfish » Sun May 13, 2012 6:54 pm

CuriousFriend wrote:I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I kind of need help with something...

I'd say be supportive of your friend. Lookin for dirt on her boyfriend will just alienate you from her. If the boyfriend is a dud, it will all come out. I think he probably is a dud but I would let her do the snoopin if she wants to snoop.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"