Desert-Storm.com Community Forums

Community for Discussing the Gulf War.

A portion of any sale supports this site.

It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How do you feel?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:49 am 
Recruit

I am wondering how the soldiers feel about going to war. What is your opinion about the Persian Gulf War? Would you rather stay in the US at a base, or be shipped out to defend America?

Thanks[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:15 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Battalion (ATC), 58th Aviation
There are some that would say that they didn't want to go. I was not really keen on the idea at all. But it comes down to the fact that there was an obligation that I signed up for and had to full fill

http://www.gulfweb.org/
http://www.gratitudecampaign.org/fullmovie.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:23 pm 
Recruit

I can say i wasnt to hugh on the idea about going back to a war zone when i just left one in Panama. :wink:

2nd FSSG 2nd Med BN. C company

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:28 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton

Post subject: Re: How do you feel?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:47 pm 
i was a pfc when i whent to war . was scared and i did what i was trained to do and all i can say is that war 15 years agoe and every time i go in to combat i am still scared but hope and pray that if i can bring my men and women home safe i have done my job... i must asay i would rather take the hit than any one of folks for i love each and every one of them .
Motocross1 wrote:
I am wondering how the soldiers feel about going to war. What is your opinion about the Persian Gulf War? Would you rather stay in the US at a base, or be shipped out to defend America?

Thanks[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:57 am 
How did I feel about the war?

I decieded to join the Army near the end of the cold war. They gave me the oppurtunity to serve my country, get my education, see the world, and persue a passion I've had since childhood to fly. Shortly after I'd made the choice to join in 1989, the students in China were protesting Communist rule and even after the crak down their the fall of Communism in Europe gave me great hope that mine would be a peaceful time.

Ironically while in training actually my first Christmas in service while on exodus back home, Operation Just (be-)Cause went down in Panama. I completed flight training in Ft Rucker and went on leave prior to shipping out to join my first active unit in Germany at the same time Saddam invaded Kuwait. I flew into Rhein-Main Airbase Frankfurt, Germany in my class A-uniform pasing the 82nd Airborne soldiers in the chocalate chip DCUs. That defintely got my attention and realized my European vacation might be in for detour.

I arrived at Storck Barracks Illesheim and was greated by a kid how greeted me with a throat slashing gesture as the base seemed in dissarray. As I tried to inprocess I learned that the unit was acting on an alert to ship out to Saudi that day. Part of me felt like maybe I should lay low until they left and inprocess later. As it worked out, the alert was one of many false alarms, but anticipation was in the air. After a few weeks it seemed like the Desert Shield mission was set with the forces in Saudi to defend the Kingdom.

I believe it was sometime in October that the President gave an address in which he announced his intention to change focus from defending Suadi Arabia to evicting Saddam from Kuwait. We learned that with the redeployment of Soviet forces under way from East Europe, one of the two Corps in West Germany would remain, the other would go to Saudi for the new mission and wondered if we would stay or go.

I was still getting used to flying in green hills of Germany and with my new unit, and would be lying if I said I would've been dissappointed to learn that we had been choosen to babysit the Soviets and leave the glory to someone else. As it turned out my VIIth Corp was selected to go but learned that while we'd be shipping our aircraft and vehicles in early November we would not be flying out until early December so had some time to mentally get ready for possible combat. Being single and a new guy in my unit, I was actually feeling for the guys who'd been in longer and had families. I think alot of us sought out the Vietnam Vets among us for their perspective on combat.

When we shipped out we were so busy training we did well to have some quiet moments. The scud alerts and gas masks got my pulse going and at one point in mid December had an alert as it appeared that Iraqi units were on the move towards our location. Overall while I should've been more fearful than I was, between the intense training and quiet moments reading my pocket New Testament, I never felt the terror I thought I should and actually felt like even if I didn't make it everything would be alright.

In the war itself I experienced a range of emotions, as getting fired on with the realization that an organized military force was actively trying to kill me and my friends was indeed intense and terrifying. I found war's end to be exhilerating and going home very satisfying.

If you're asking what I thought of our mission, that would be another topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:48 pm 
Recruit

I actually had a choice because I was an only child. There were two of us that had this decision to make and we both decided to go. I had no idea before we were called that as an only child I would be given a choice. My mom thought I was crazy for going. She just did not understand. My dad as a Vietnam vet understood...

Post subject: Re: How do you feel?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:05 pm 
Lifer

Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
-- I am wondering how the soldiers feel about going to war.

As a senior leader and a veteran of multiple deployments, a shooting war, and almost 8 years years in 2 ID in Korea, I think it safe to say that most soldiers don't think about going to war. They perform as they are trained, they conduct their personal and professional affairs as necesitated by the mission, and then they deploy. If the chain of command has their stuff together, thinking is a luxury most soldiers don't have time for.

Most of my deployments were gung ho, balls to the walls, episodes of endurance, both physical and mental. We were confident in what we were doing, confident in our leadership, and confident that our families were cared for.

The decision to deploy wasn't ours, we were ordered to deploy so we deployed. Politics has no place in the combat zone ... mission and rules of engagement ... that's all we needed and all we usually had.

--What is your opinion about the Persian Gulf War?

Your question isn't a very good question. The 'Persian Gulf War' has many, many interlaced issues. I will answer with the assumption that you are talking about the war in Iraq ... beginning with Desert Storm and now with Iraqi Freedom.

The issues the way I see them:
- Were we justified in going to war with Iraq during Desert Storm ... yes ... Iraq invaded Kuwait, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia asked for our help, we helped. We gave the regime ample opportunity to leave Kuwait, they refused, we kicked their ass. We could have kicked more, but that was not in the coalitions charter.

Were we justified the second time
- I don't know ... I don't have all the intelligence information, I wasn't at the driver's seat. What I do know:
1) Congress, through the War Powers Act, gave the president the power to deploy military forces.
2) Iraq violated the terms of the cease fire repeatedly and ignored international attempts to reconsile these violations.
3) The president deployed troops over several months (again) under the full awareness of Congress and the American people.
4) Congress passed a resolution to support the invasion to remove Saddam.

That's the way I see it ... now it has become politcally correct to criticize the president and push to bring our troops home. I believe that bringing our troops home before Iraq is stable and secure is a very dangerous thing to do.

We, as a country, go to war easily, but we have a problem with our staying power. We think in terms of days, weeks, and months, while our enemies think in terms of years, decades and centuries. If we don't stay the fight in Iraq, we will fight again, but the price will be much higher and the burden will be much greater. I hate to see the bloodshed, but the enemy is the one causing the blooshed, we are not blowing up buses and cars, and mosques. We are not intentionally killing innocent people .... that's why they are called bad guys. Stay the course, kill the bad guys, fight 'em until they are done fighting.

We didn't have the stomach to finish the job in Korea, Vietnam, Somalia, and now we are waivering in Irag. No wonder people around the world dislike us ... flash in the pan.

If the Iraqi government made a statement today that they wanted the US to leave, then and only then would I agree to a pull out.

--Would you rather stay in the US at a base, or be shipped out to defend America?

Shipped out ... make contact and keep contact ... Keep the powder dry ... see ya in a few ... Later gator ... definitely shipped out with a qualifier that I would not be abandoned because of shifting politic winds.

The thing that I find the most displeasing about Iraq is our lack of national unity and resolve to stand behind the decision made by the man who was given the authority to make the decision. The United States president made the decision within the full authority of his office ... we (Congress) gave him that authority, we (Congress voted to suppor the war), and now we (Congress) are backpeddling after we have committed ourselves to an irreversible course.

We CANNOT put Iraq back the way it was ... we owe the Iraqi people our support and our continued commitment to a stable and secure Iraq ... very simple in my eyes.

DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:42 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

A-friggin-MEN

(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

- General George Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:33 pm 
Senior Vet

Your Gulf War Unit: HHC 43rd CSG / 1st Cav
I often feel bad over "Our" failure to support the Kurdish uprising after DS . I feel the President encouraged a popular revolt , and then left those who did out to dry . In this case , be gassed and slaughtered .
To add abandoning the fledgling government We fostered , after Our vow to help them live free , to me is unthinkable .

Binge drinking college student 06/86-10/88
N.C.N.G. 07/86-10/88
Ft Carson CO 10/88-9/91
HQ AFNorth 10/91-11/93

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:02 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

I agree, maybe thats why we are still there today...because of our president's screwup back then.

-George Orwell

- General George Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:02 pm 
Lifer

I totally agree. We were on the south of the Euphrates river across from the town of An Samawah (sp?) during the uprising.

As we were moving into our positions we passed a lot of refugees on the road. I mean a lot, several hundred would be a low estimate. Then I noticed something else, they were all men. Very few women were among them. They were the first to flee and left their women and children behind.

We sat on the southern side of the Euphrates and literally watched the Iraq army and police crush the uprising. We saw their tracers, heard their shots, and even had a few mortar rounds (suspected) fall within a few hundred meters of our position. We sat and watched as they were being beaten down.

After the first day, the women and kids started getting across the bridge. They were in bad shape and who knows what horrors they went through. Kids bleeding, women beaten and we were forced to sit and watch until they made their way across the bridge, then we could give them assistance.

I say stand our ground as long as they ask us to. I don't know if the motives for invading Iraq are just or not. That's not my problem ... but as an American, OUR reputation in this world is my problem and I say stand and fight ... they kill one of us ... we kill ten of them ... they blow up a bus, we hunt them, we find them, and we kill them ... they blow up a school, we hunt them, we find them, and we kill them.

I say to the bad guys ... come and get some of this!

FIRE MISSION!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:19 pm 
Senior Vet

Your Gulf War Unit: HHC 43rd CSG / 1st Cav
I couldn't agree more "Brother" .
It's time America's Word means something again .
Not just "that's the way it is till the next election .".

Binge drinking college student 06/86-10/88
N.C.N.G. 07/86-10/88
Ft Carson CO 10/88-9/91
HQ AFNorth 10/91-11/93

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:25 am 
Lifer

So how do we get our politicians to hear this instead of the anti-war hype?

FIRE MISSION!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:07 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

FA1SGret wrote:
So how do we get our politicians to hear this instead of the anti-war hype?

Get people like Oprah, Rosie O'Donnell, Elen Degenerate (sp? :lol: ). Angelina Jolie, and others like them to start preaching it and telling people to call their Senators, Congressman, Governors and so on. This country has turned into way too many bleeding hearts, what would happen if we went into another full scale war like WWII? We'd lose worse than we are now because of all the panzies deserting, going out of country, or refusing to join and going ot jail instead. We have 2 deserters in the south end of my county now who are all over the news, both in early 20's.

WHERE'S THESE PEOPLES PATRIOTISM?

Sure, I would be upset if my son or daughter joined and was shipped out to fight, even madder than hell god forbid he/she get killed, but I would still support them and my country for doing what was right.

-George Orwell

- General George Patton

Last edited by Dagger X-Ray on Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.