Desert-Storm.com Community Forums

Community for Discussing the Gulf War.

A portion of any sale supports this site.

It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: the Battle of Rumaylah
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:21 pm 
Anybody can explain me the Battle of Rumaylah because I dont find any information about this. Please

Post subject: Rumaylah
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:31 am 
Recruit

Do you mean the battle for Ar Rumaylah, the airbase that the 3rd ACR took out. I was there if that is the one you are talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:03 am 
Author of Gulf War Chronicles

Your Gulf War Unit: Military Historian and Author
There was also the battle for the Rumayla (not sure of spelling) oil fields. It was the last battle of the war. It actually took place after the cease fire. Iraqis were trying to escape north through the oil field, in view of the 24th MID. The Iraqis fired on the soldiers of the 24th and the Americans descimated what was left of the Iraqi forces that were trying to flee north.

The entire story is in "The Gulf War Chronicles."

http://www.marinesinthegardenofeden.com
http://www.gwchronicles.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:39 pm 
Thanks but why the iraqi have fire on 24th
and how many casualties in this battle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:18 pm 
Recruit

RichardLowry wrote:
There was also the battle for the Rumayla (not sure of spelling) oil fields. It was the last battle of the war. It actually took place after the cease fire. Iraqis were trying to escape north through the oil field, in view of the 24th MID. The Iraqis fired on the soldiers of the 24th and the Americans descimated what was left of the Iraqi forces that were trying to flee north.

The entire story is in "The Gulf War Chronicles."

Old post but I'm a new dude;)

It was not just the 24th ID in this fight, the 3rd ACR was also present, I was there as well as the other guy who posted. If my memory serves me correctly it was a small portion of the 24th ID, mainly was the 3rd ACR who was attached to them.

Post subject: Re: the Battle of Rumaylah
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:04 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.
The following is from the AAR:

[35th Signal Brigade SITREP, 2 Mar 91]

0130 1st Battalion, 201st Field Artillery, arrives in area of operations of 196th Field Artillery Brigade (VII Corps Artillery). [MFR, 1st Battalion, 201st Field Artillery, subj.: 1-201 FA After Action Report, OPERATION DESERT SHIELD/STORM, 9 July 1991]

0330 Military negotiations are postponed until 1100C on 3 March.

0700 1st Brigade, 82d Airborne Division, resumes clearing operations at Objective ORANGE. [82d Airborne

Division SITREP 207 (2 Mar 91)]

0720 1st Brigade, 24th Infantry Division, reports a force of 20 T-55 tanks and 23 T-72 tanks moving west at QU

1787. [XVIII Airborne Corps INTSUM 423; 24th Infantry Division SITREP, 2 Mar 91, says 1st Brigade reports brigade-sized element moving west and northwest on Highway 8 at 0730; brigade does not open fire but does try to get enemy to surrender or change direction]

0800 3d Battalion, 227th Aviation (12th Aviation Brigade) closes into Assembly Area SPRUCE. [Also see 12th

Aviation Brigade SITREP, 2 Mar 91]

0809 Company C, 2d Battalion, 7th Infantry (1st Brigade, 24th Infantry Division) comes under fire at QU

160892 from an Iraqi force moving west and engages it, resulting in the destruction of six T-72 and two T-55 tanks, two BDRMs, and four BMPs. [Also see XVIII Airborne Corps INTSUM 423; 24th Infantry Division SITREP, 2 Mar 91, does not give time but specifies that previously discovered Iraqi formation trail element opens fire on 1st Brigade with a SAGGER antitank missile and direct fires; the 1st Brigade then responds with fire and maneuver in effort to block Northern Causeway (QU 221000) and employs two attack helicopter companies]

0830 5th Squadron, 6th Cavalry (12th Aviation Brigade) closes into Assembly Area SPRUCE, completing the

movement of the main body of the 12th Aviation Brigade back from forward positions. [Also see 12th Aviation Brigade SITREP, 2 Mar 91]

0900 As of this time the 525th Military Intelligence Brigade has screened 4,192 enemy prisoners of war at the

Corps Interrogation Facility. [525th Military Intelligence Brigade SITREP 151 (2 Mar 91)]

0930 Air cavalry elements from the 24th Infantry Division engage Iraqi elements in the vicinity of QV

0945 101st Airborne Division reports that a UH-1H from the 6th Battalion, 101st Aviation has crashed on

takeoff in Assembly Area PEAR (MT 10653984), apparently from engine failure, resulting in five minor injuries. [Also see 101st Airborne Division SITREP 206 (2 Mar 91)]

1030 4th Battalion, 64th Armor (24th Infantry Division) counterattacks to QU 200835, completing the major

division action resulting in numerous prisoners of war and the destruction of 31 Iraqi tanks, 21 BMPs, one BM-21, five FROGs, and five trucks.

1045 24th Infantry Division reports final assessment of damage inflicted on Iraqis as 81 tanks, 95 armored

personnel carriers, 11 FROG-7 TELs (2 with missiles uploaded), 2 BM-21s, 8 BDRMs, 5 artillery pieces, 23 trucks, and numerous prisoners of war. [Also see XVIII Airborne Corps INTSUM 423 which gives time of final assessment as 1350; 24th Infantry Division SITREP, 2 Mar 91, gives assessment of 24 T-72s, 7 T-55s, 43 BMPs, 17 BDRMs, 34 artillery tubes, 5 MTLBs, 9 multiple rocket launchers, 1 AMX-10, 377 trucks, 1 ZSU-23-4 and 66 prisoners of war with a brigade loss of one wounded, one M-2A1 Bradley damaged, and one M-1A1 Abrams lost when secondary explosion of a T-72 set sleeping bags stowed on the M-1 on fire]

This is kinda the result of our position at cease fire and a lot of rumors that General McCaffrey purposely misled XVIII corps about our location to cause an engagement after the cease fire. Our location was:

0800 At cease-fire, 24th Infantry Division poised along Phase Line AXE to engage Hamurabbi Division at Phase Line CRUSH, with 1st Brigade positioned on left, 2d Brigade in center, 3d Armored Cavalry on right, and 197th Infantry Brigade in center after completing refueling at Objective ORANGE; 2d Squadron, 4th Cavalry, in position behind 1st Brigade. NOTE: 24th Infantry Division Artillery with support of 212th and 196th Field Artillery Brigades fired up until cease-fire. [24th Infantry Division SITREP, 28 Feb 91]

2- 7 infantry of 24 ID and 3ACR were the main players from what I've read. In defense, the cease fire was known to us but not the Iraqis. It is just logical that they would fire on us first because they did not know there had been a cease fire. Their chain of command did not exist so they had no communication.

197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

Post subject: Re: Rumaylah
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:10 am 
Recruit

Your Gulf War Unit: Desert
3rdcavtrooper wrote:
Do you mean the battle for Ar Rumaylah, the airbase that the 3rd ACR took out. I was there if that is the one you are talking about.

Interesting, if you were there then please post more. How did you feel being there at the time?

There's more on this page. http://weightwoo.com/eat-stop-eat

Last edited by FredPates on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:43 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Fred, I'm afraid that post is over 4 years old and that individual has'nt been back on this site in over 3 years. Glad to see you are interested though. Welcome to the site.

Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:11 pm 
Soldier

Your Gulf War Unit: Eagle Troop 3ACR
really interesting looking over the "old" posts. Should be some interesting dreams 2nite. remember it like it was this morning. wish someone was around to talk about it.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
- J o h n S t e w a r t M i l l

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:40 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Type a little on this forum Sgt. Some of us are listening

Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:50 am 
Soldier

this auto log out sucks,,,, anyways one quick vivid memory was rolling through the airfield and two or three enemy troops scramble to a brdm for cover when the tanks crash the fence on the perimeter of the airfield and we pull the tank up to the brdm and open up at about 15 yds with the 50 cal and every time a round went into the side the hatch which mustnt have been locked jumped up and down like a tea kettle. they didnt come out.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:57 am 
Soldier

on the way in though, I thought I was gonna s#@t in my pants when they opened up on us with an anti aircraft gun, but realized the pucker factor was so high u couldnt have drove a pin up my @ss with a jackhammer!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:25 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Was that at Talil or Jubail. I'm thinking it was Jubail. The 197th was at the other.

Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:30 am 
Soldier

WTF? is that supposed to be humorous or what? No wonder this place is a ghost town! I'm outta here!

Last edited by sgt Jake on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:10 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

You talked about rolling through an airfield. I was enquiring as to which one. There were 2 I know of that 24 ID was engaged

Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"