Desert-Storm.com Community Forums

Community for Discussing the Gulf War.

A portion of any sale supports this site.

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: the Battle of Rumaylah
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:38 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.
I guess I'll elaborate on the recent topic. Sorry Sgt. Jake, this is what I was talking about. After consulting this map:

http://www.2nd-platoon.com/img/Operatio ... _Storm.jpg

It seems the 197th was at Talil airfield and the 3rd ACR was at Jabilah airfield. 3ACR went on to the oilfields discussed in this thread and the 197th went on to Az Zubayr. There was a brick building there with bars on the windows. I think it was a jail on the side of the "Highway" . We stayed there 10 days. I think 3ACR pushed out some RGF because we engaged them at this position on or about 28 Feb. 1991. I've discussed that with Tricky89. My only memory from the engagement was watching green tracer rounds bounce off an M1. We were dismounted enginneers in with 1/18 infantry. We hid behind some boulders during the exchange. that's all I remember. Dagger, close to this place was the tamater truck. The school bus and the destroyed Iraqi ambulance were close to here also. We were just south of a spaghetti junction I've discussed before.

197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:53 am 
Soldier

Your Gulf War Unit: Eagle Troop 3ACR
yeah, sorry about the anger thing, when you said jubail I thought you were fishing for posers or something as jubail is the port in saudi. sounds about right, I think our scouts were the ones that took out the tomatoe truck threat as they were attempting to leave the AO. haha I have some pictures of it with the one dude in the passenger seat all tore up and the other guy out on the ground with a 7.62 to the head. that was a day or two before the assault on ar rumaylah airfield.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
- J o h n S t e w a r t M i l l

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:58 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

We had some pix of the mater truck dude if it was same guy. Our guy was missing his head with his arm out the window. Somebody stuck a cig in his hand. He looked normal except his head was missing. Did you guys do an ambulance or a school bus? I think 2/7 infantry did it but who knows

Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:02 am 
Soldier

I never seen the bus or the ambulance, but its possible, sounds like the right truck though was slumped over into the dash and his arm was hanging out the door.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:18 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

LOL! That's dude. We took pix with us getting behind him and puttin our head where his was supposed to be. Thanx to you guys we had a laugh at his expense.

Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:24 am 
Soldier

sounds right... remember the day before, the truck that was all burnt up and there was a dude that didnt get out of the back, and he was burnt to a crisp and sitting there, like he never moved and he was still waiting for the truck to arrive? the melted power line towers bent in half? wow! getting some recall now!...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:18 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

I don't really recall a lot of specifics. Lot of bodies and pieces. I remember the boots I found that still had feet in them and I carried them around with me a while. I remember lots of bodies like that. Never got out of the vehicle or still in the back. There were a lot all over where we were that were out of their vehicles. They got ran over so much we started marking them with kim lights at night. Pieces of them getting in track pads and in the dozer tracks.

Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:21 pm 
Soldier

didnt have to grease your track then..... thats just wrong. what the hell happened to our value for human life? you carried around some feet in boots for a while? thats pretty morbid, but you know it kind of makes sense in all that chaos. I bet your shrink at the VA wanted some discussion on that topic! haha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:46 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

It seemed funny at the time to put them on the front of my truck and ride. Pretty morbid. I think the mind flips into a save your sanity mode while in the middle of that. Yeah my shrink and I have been through it. Its crazy bout the tomato truck. That makes 4 of us members on this forum who saw that specific dude in the tomato truck.

Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:15 am 
Soldier

small world! thanks for the map pic, I havent seen this one before. I guess we ate some of the same sand. I hadnt realized we ended up so close to the kuwait border I thought we were farther west. Interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:29 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

We were north of Safwan and south of Basra. Did you guys get up to spaghetti junction. We first got to the highway it was highway 8 I think It was between Basra and Nasiriyah. We passed some of 82nd airborne. I know cuz they had them funny tanks the M551 I think. That was close to Talil airstrip.

Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"