Desert-Storm.com Community Forums

Community for Discussing the Gulf War.

A portion of any sale supports this site.

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Writing a novel about a Desert Storm Veteran
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:28 pm 
I am writing a novel about a Desert Storm Veteran. My character was an Army medic who patched up soldiers in the field and loaded them into helicopters, and directly encountered enemy fire while doing so. I need specific information about real ground battles where this would take place. Please email me directly: jack@thehouseofdavid.com

Thanks!

Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:29 pm 
Recruit

I never heard of any stories of that happening during Desert Storm, but during Operation Iraqi Freedom, there was a Marine medic that was wounded (shot) in one hand, pulled the bullet out, continued to help others, then shoty in his other hand, pulled that bullet out too, and asked if he could stay. He eventually boarded a medivac because he realized he couldn't help anyone but himself now. The kid pulled two bullets form his hands and still wanted to stay and help. There's a book right there.

Post subject: Need Help
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:47 am 
I'm still looking for information on Gulf War medics. I need specific information of ground fighting where army medics rescued soldiers.

email: jack@thehouseofdavid.com

Post subject: Novel that needs "Medic!" info.....
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:21 am 
Recruit

Jack,

I hope your novel won't be anything like Jarhead. Although Jarhead was a good film, it basically said that the Marine there didn't really do anything, which might have been the case for that particular unit...but certainly not the overall concept. I don't feel the film provided any true justice to the Marines, or anyone that served over there. After 15 years you'd think they'd actually do a move/book about the major winning battles of Desert Storm (Battle of Al Bassah, Medina Ridge, Al Rhamala Airport South, etc).

I was a Medic in Desert Storm, I have specific information regarding locations and enemy actions. However, we did such an excellen job there, there was no US Soldiers in my unit that was injured and sent to the rear. There was one incident of a tank gunner that had extreme lower extremity pains the night the ground wars began that the unit Doctor and I sent to the rear.

I'd be more than happy to put you in contact with at least 4 of us that were all medics over there...including our Battalion P.A., whom I recently contacted after 14 years.

My email address is timdemers@verizon.net

Looking forward to your email.

Respectfully,
Tim Demers

Post subject: Still working on it!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:47 am 

Post subject: Cold steel usmc vet-desert storm
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:53 pm 
I served with 1/6 cold steel in the storm. There were many acts of valor and heroism. My plt encountered many kill zones and close quarter stuff. we were the tip of the spear for 2nd marine division. There are many things that are and wil always be sacred to me. Jarhea was a bunch of bullshit as far as I'm concerned. Heaven and hell collided during that war. 8O

Post subject: hmm
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:58 am 
Recruit

I was a Doc with my beloved Marines i am still dealing with the trama in my head the face and feeeling of lose and guilt of feel i didnt do enough from them.
remember if your peson was a female she was no where near the front lines, she was in the rear at a fieldl hospital or aid station.

Good luck
Semper FI do or die Corpsman up!!!!
Doc Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:52 pm 
Hey Jack,
I read your synopsis of your novel. To be honest with you, the first thing that came to my mind when I read this was: The Movie "Collateral" starring Jamie Foxx, etc. You may want to change the plot, just a suggestion............

Post subject: Gulf War Medic
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:30 am 
I'm still working on the novel. I need specific information:

I need locations and dates of situations where medics rescued wounded soldiers, and loaded them into helicopters for transport.

I'm thinking that sometime in February 1991 is my most likely time frame for the main flashback sequence.

It is also very important to my plot that the medics were using a helicopter for transport.

I met with some former gulf war medics who told me that their unit didn't use helicopters, but ground transportation. They heard of helicopters being used, but didn't know where.

Also, I need to know:

What would be a likely unit to which my character would have belonged? The medics I spoke to came from the 1st Armored division, but http://www.desert-storm.com/soldiers/army.html lists several medical units.

Where would wounded soldiers be taken? A MASH unit in Iraq?
A hospital in Saudi Arabia? Or somewhere else?

Where would the office of the CO of a medic unit be physically located?

Jack
jack@thehouseofdavid.com

Post subject: Re: Writing a novel about a Desert Storm Veteran
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:31 am 
Recruit

Jack,

I too am writing, but on my own experiences...I am calling it "I can Remember it all...including the CORPS!"

It details my Naval Career from bootcamp, until separation, including my duty stations and the war.....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:00 pm 
Recruit

Jack,
I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but there just weren't that many hot zones during Desert Storm. Most of the action took place out in the middle of the desert, and was mostly tank battles. There really weren't any prolonged firefights, and since we never went into the city, there was no urban fighting. By the time medics could get to a battle, the action was generally over. I think I recall seeing only one series of pictures of a couple of lightly wounded tankers flying out on a helicopter after their tank was taken out. But even then, the medics wouldn't have gone in under fire; by the time the helicopter got there, it was all over.

You're either going to have to revise your protagonist's occupation, or at least give up on the helicopter. Alternatively, you can set the medic as a 10th Mtn soldier, and have him relive Somalia. I think there were a few medevacs there.

You're trying (I think) to recapture the pathos of the Viet Nam war, which is where we get the public consciousness images of the medic trying to load wounded on a Huey, screaming at the pilot to lift off, while chaos rains down around them. It just wasn't like that in Desert Storm.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:49 am 
Lifer

Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
I don't agree with all of what mountain says, but I agree with the jist of it.

73 Easting was a pretty tough night ... we fought the Tawakana RG for several hours. The trama wasn't so much in the fighting, some was, but most of it was in the morning hours when we moved forward, through the shit we destroyed the previous night. The POWs weren't a pretty picture, and neither was the highway 8.

I can't speak for all DS participants, but in my unit ... no there weren't many casualties, and the ones that did happen were pretty catostrophic and needed no medical assistance.

The Iraq's needed medical attention worse than we did ... most that I saw were dead, but we did medevac one Iragi POW that was shot in the neck.

Just my thoughts

DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:55 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.
Seems kind of demanding for our experiences to be shared. We had no wounded that was choppered out during contact. Only after contact. Almost all of it was Iraqi's that happened to still be alive after we got around to addressing them as wounded and not targets. Medics were there and did perform valiantly with tremendous catastrophic injuries. But this wasn't Nam.

If this writer is still determined to stick to his story line, his character can still have flash backs like a lot of us, just change the experience. Plenty of terrible tales are out there.

Try using a little respect when addressing some of these vets when requesting they share something very painful and dear to their hearts. You ain't asking about what kind of copy paper they like. You're asking them to share a part of their soul's very existence. Part of which is WHAT WE ARE. I am what I am because of what I was a participant of. It is in the very nature of my every breath and is something so close to me and these other vets that for us to share something with any one outside of our BROTHERHOOD should be considered an honor.

If you are reading this, thank a teacher. If you are reading this in English, thank a vet.

197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:47 pm 
Lifer

Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
Easy killer ... it's just a request for information ... nothing more

DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:55 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.
Chaps my backside. Just make something up for your story. Come in here amongst veterans and show no respect for terrible experiences so you can profit off of our REAL flashbacks....ah... well... damn the gorilla would like to get out off his box.

197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"