Desert-Storm.com Community Forums

Community for Discussing the Gulf War.

A portion of any sale supports this site.

It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Proof Of Combat Service While In SWA....Need Help Please
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:42 pm 
Recruit

Your Gulf War Unit: 1st SOCOM 6th Psychological Operations Battallion Airborne
How can I find out if I am in fact a "combat veteran". I am trying to join a MC and they want proof that I was in combat. I sent them a copy of my 215 that stated I was awarded the SWA Service Medal with three bronze stars, time in country and the Kuwait Liberation Medal. On my 214 it also states the time I spent in SWA. Any help with this problem would be great. I called the state VA and was told that the SWA Service Medal w/3 bronze stars should be proof enough and the time spent in SWA. Anyone have a definite answer.

Thank you.

Also I am new to the forums, I served with 1st SOCOM, 6th Psychological Operations Battalion Ariborne. out of Fort Bragg, NC. 1991

Post subject: Re: Proof Of Combat Service While In SWA....Need Help Please
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:15 pm 
Vet

Your Gulf War Unit: 24th INF 197th 72 Engineers/18th Airborne Corps
I don't actually know if thats not proof enough being in country really don't know or how they look at that. I recieved an award implicating i was in combat maybe a buddy letter from a fellow commrade or something in and about your unit but again I dont know if being in combat or being in a combat zone has 2 diffrent meanings it may or may not ,stick around redfish or someone else may be able to help ya anyone in country got a sw asia medal but it says nothing about combat on those my sw asia metal only had 2 stars how do they rate those not for sure what those stars mean, anybody out there know looks to me though your dd214and 215 should be enough ,and welcome to the forum bro!

Last edited by Animal on Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:49 pm 
Recruit

Thanks for replying to my questions. Yeah, I thought that everyone in country received a SWA Medal. I have yet to speak with anyone who knows for sure. I even called the VA, that person did not know either, nice guy though. Everything is so automated now a days that it is hard to speak to an actual person, just get computerfied menus'. <not a word but it should be. It's good to find a place where other Desert Storm Vets hang out.

PSYOP's; Some wounds never heal.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:57 pm 
Vet

After doing a little research on the swa medal it shows 3 diffrent campaigns during certain time periods and looks like you where there for all 3 that answers my question .Anyone serving in the states was not allotted these you can look it up at WIkipedia on the combat subject anyone out there got a definte answer for this fellow soldier,in my eyes if you served there you fought a battle one way or the other.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:10 pm 
Vet

RoadRunner wrote:
How can I find out if I am in fact a "combat veteran". I am trying to join a MC and they want proof that I was in combat. I sent them a copy of my 215 that stated I was awarded the SWA Service Medal with three bronze stars, time in country and the Kuwait Liberation Medal. On my 214 it also states the time I spent in SWA. Any help with this problem would be great. I called the state VA and was told that the SWA Service Medal w/3 bronze stars should be proof enough and the time spent in SWA. Anyone have a definite answer.

Thank you.

Also I am new to the forums, I served with 1st SOCOM, 6th Psychological Operations Battalion Ariborne. out of Fort Bragg, NC. 1991

Hey like I said earlier keep checking in to the post someone will most likley answer your question and give you facts to follow it up with, again welcome.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:25 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.
What is " MC " ?

The VFW and American Legion recognize the SWA service ribbon to satisfy their requirements.

Animal is exactly right. The three star symbolize the three phases of our time in country.

Here is the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_ ... vice_Medal

That should be more than proof enough. If they don't accept that as evidence enough, I might take my interest elsewhere.

Oh, welcome to the forum bro.

197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:12 am 
Recruit

MC is Motorcycle Club, but hey thanks for answering my question. I am sending a 180 to St. Louis to try and see what I get back. See if I can recover any of my pay vouchers from back then. Again, appreciate your answering my question. It's kind of important that I get in this club or I wouldn't worry about it so much. I'm in the Legion now and had no problem there, it's the combat thing that I need proof of.

PSYOP's; Some wounds never heal.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:15 am 
Senior Vet

Your Gulf War Unit: 72nd. ENGR. CO. 197TH INF. BDE. 24TH INF
ok, i think i can help ya some, least i can try.
as stated before the bronze stars on the swa, is for the 3 different phases/timelines while in country. to get the swa you only had to be in theater of opreations to recieve it..i:e gulf region, my cousin got one in 95 while in the navy after a tour in the gulf that year. so i can see why that club might not wanna use that.
try looking up your units history, after action reports, buddy letters, documented lists of divisions that fought battles are listed online. also look up units effected by the explosure of oil well fires, an list of those units effected by the gas.
i think your units title might be whats giving them the prob...they seen that an probably thought , no way that unit was in combat....no offense.
so do a search on your div's history, etc, ...its out there, also, im thinkin only those units that crossed into iraq, kuwait recieved the liberation of kuwait medals , might be wrong, there two of them now, 1st one issued in 91, 2nd in 95.
good luck in your search...lets us know how it turns out.

18th AIRBORNE CORPS
SAPPERS FORWARD!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:48 pm 
Recruit

Your Gulf War Unit: 2-319th AFAR 82nd ABN
I recently found out after denial of claims what was missing. Proof of combat. I had to find out if unit was awarded anything, which it had. Meritorious Unit Commendation had been given after I had left for another assignment. My records of this did not follow so here I am 20 years later being told "NO COMBAT" I was offended. The answer to your question is the ribbons mean nothing only, CIB< MCB< purple heart, Valor awards or unit awards. My claim is still pending, we will see what they do now after me providing proof of combat. I hate the VA and this entire process.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:40 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.
BW, do you have a service rep? Do you have anything like an ARCOM or something from that unit proving you were in that unit? Do you have an AAR of your unit during the war? Do you have any buddy letters? If it is not too personal, can I ask what you are claiming?

197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:27 am 
Recruit

Your Gulf War Unit: 2-319th AFAR 82nd ABN
The found MUC awarded and DD-214 should get these clowns to stop treating me like a bumb. I was DRF-1 status with 82nd abn 2-319 AFAR. Was the initial ground force then stayed for ground war being first artillery unit into IRAQ. VA doctors treat they don't help. I developed severe panic attacks, anxiety, major depressive disorders. My first visit the doctor said yes textbook then wrote no combat. Took me 5 more years to understand why they said that and push me away from PTSD. What do you think of that?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:39 am 
Soldier

Your Gulf War Unit: Eagle Troop 3ACR
join the VFW and show your MC your membership card!

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
- J o h n S t e w a r t M i l l

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:50 pm 
Senior Vet

Your Gulf War Unit: HHC 43rd CSG / 1st Cav
Big Whiskey

I do hope you've refiled . CFS , IBS , fibromialgia , Cronic Sinutitus all dennied . PTSD , which I figured I'd never be able to prove , 50% rating .

Good Luck Bro !!

Binge drinking college student 06/86-10/88
N.C.N.G. 07/86-10/88
Ft Carson CO 10/88-9/91
HQ AFNorth 10/91-11/93