Desert-Storm.com Community Forums

Community for Discussing the Gulf War.

A portion of any sale supports this site.

It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the scariest thing you did or seen in the war?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:44 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.
The dollar 97 did our best to provide a pandemic of lead poisoning to those in service for Saddam that were willing to poke there heads up to see what was going on and to some of them who did not. I had some RGf boots withthe feet still in them that I taped to the front of my truck. Me and "boots" went through a lot together.

197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:27 pm 
Lifer

Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
That's just wrong.

DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:09 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

That is just one of numerous in-appropriate things that were wrong and grotesque. Different mind set. Had pictures of everything but I threw them all away some time in about '93 or so.

Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:24 pm 
Vet

Your Gulf War Unit: 197th Inf. 72nd ENG. CO
Hey Red fish, glad your back! hope your doing fine.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:32 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Hey Trick. My laptop is still in the shop. I am using my daughter's @ the moment. It has been a ride for sure. Started CPT Group on Monday. Any else done that? Spose to last like 3 months every Monday for 2 hours. Good to see ya back.

Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:34 pm 
Vet

Your Gulf War Unit: 197th Inf. 72nd ENG. CO
Is the group helping in any way? hope so. but glad your back. Iv been working on geting ready to move to memphis for a new job so hopefully soon ill be out of FL.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:11 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

As in TN.? Wow closer to us in NC. Buy a coat yet? Group is just starting. I'm still wierd. Mixed up feelings all upside down. We are gonna get down in group and learn to deal with what went down as opposed to not talking about it. Great. But, I need to get it out. I've hid from it 20 years.

Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:36 pm 
Recruit

There were some scary times.

[EDIT: I'm going to file this under 'Too Much Information'] I have a tendency to spill my guts and then get shy about it.

But just when I was getting over my fear and getting used to all the killing and destruction, the damn war was over.

Last edited by Delta1-41 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:17 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Nothing like seeing tracers bounce off an M1. I recall blowin' bunkers with grenades. So familiar... all too familiar.

Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:55 pm 
Recruit

Yeah, watching T-whatever rounds bounce off was kind of wild. I saw a T-72 fire three rounds at an Abrams. They made huge explosions, but when the smoke cleared the Abrams was sitting there a little dented and fired one round into that T-72. The turret popped right off and straight into the sky. It reminded me of film from the attack on Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona's magazines exploding straight up high into the air. The tank explosion was of course much smaller, but I remember that it reminded of the Arizona. It was the Arizona, right? That famous footage of the blown magazine going way up into the air?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:45 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Seems like it was the Arizona but it may be another.

Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:24 am 
Recruit

I have to admit that I was very, very scared even before we deployed, and am not afraid to say it. 2AD was one of the last combat units tabbed to deploy (around Jan. 7th) as they needed something to attach to 1st ID.

[EDIT: I'm going to file this under 'Too Much Information'] I have a tendency to spill my guts and then get shy about it.

Pretty much every single casualty in 1-41 Inf was blue on blue. The Iraqis fired on us a lot actually, but it didn't do much damage to anything.

Last edited by Delta1-41 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:19 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

I have read some accounts of that kind of thing. War is hell. No blame but still messed up. Forget where I read about that. I think most of what I read was Abrams on Bradley.
One account waas after a bradley was disabled by friendly fire they had dismounted. The Iraqi's were able to be combat effective after being over run or "by-passed". The Iraqi's then engaged the dismounted Bradley crews (there was 2 seperate crews from 2 seperate disabled tracks). Another Bradley which witnessed the fire fight pulled his track between the dismounted troops and the Iraqi's and he was wounded in the process. I believe he received the silver star for the action.
In some cases, we went through so fast that after some units were hit and made combat ineffective, they were able to regroup and engage other units who believed the area cleared.
Any vet who down plays desert storm must have spent the 5 days in Khobar Toweres eatin' frikkin' hamburgers.
And, I remember when my unit got back to khobar towers with our bleached out torn black soot covered uniforms long hair and unshaven with our 16's still on our backs, the remfs left us alone when we went to the front of the hamburger stand line.
For years I felt like we did not deserve to have PTSD or we did not pay our dues. PTSD just takes one trauma and you may get it.
My father and several of his brothers were in Nam each for 2 or 3 tours. One a marine at An Khe. One was in the 173rd sky soldiers and one in the 101st airborne. All line grunts one a 60 gunner.
They say they had on average 10 to 20 fire fights a year and had stand down time where they drank beer and stayed in tents with showers. Small units and few casualties for the most part per engagement.
We spent 5 months waiting to engage a combat experienced force who had dug in and had chemical weapons. We were told to expect as high as 50% casualties. Then we saw thousands killed hundreds getting hit and in many cases men women and children. So violent that we were there and close by when pieces of people were blown apart. Boots without a body but still has the feet in them arms all over, men with all or pieces of their heads blown off. Children blown apart. Mass confusion, seperated from your unit by you self. Pieces of people in our tracks and trucks because we had run over so many. The sights and smells. Cooked off rounds coming in all over for 2 weeks after cease fire. Still engaging RGF 4 and 5 days after cease fire. Bunker clearing, mine field every where. Kim lights marking hundreds of bodies in our perimeter so we can stop track steering on them. Accidents killing men and civilians. Chemical ordinance going off in bunkers and setting off our detectors every f'ing day.

The psych doc and my therapist have said that sleep deprivation increases your chance of getting PTSD. Man we were up 4 frikkin days.

I bet any person who was over there that down plays the war could tell you the best place to eat in Dhahran.

Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:33 pm 
Recruit

The incident you're talking about wasn't from our unit, but I think I read something about that one.

I have an uncle who was a Marine in Vietnam. He was there only 5 months or so, until he got wounded and sent to Okinawa to recover. He's a big help for me in my recovery from the war. But he stressed that it doesn't matter how long you've been in country, in a combat zone, all it takes is one bad experience and it can change you for life. He told me a couple stories of some new guy who was wounded on his first patrol and how it messed them up in the head.

It's good to talk about it and get that ugly stuff on the table so it's out there and not a monster hiding in your body. Then we can focus on life and things that are positive and affirming.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:57 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Hey man its all good. I see you pulled a lot of stuff down you had posted. I pretty much posted my life since storm, the good and bad, over on my stories riding the storm out. I feel like, and have expressed to my wife, that I am tired of subduing or hiding or opressing my thoughts or feelings about the war. It is a festering infected wound and it has to get out of me. I have never said notthin' about nothin' to nobody until the last few months. Most of it has been on here but now it is coming out in group.

I enjoyed your experiences and every little piece I hear and share I think heals me a little.

You wanna holler, lot a guys on this site got a good ear and have been where I have so maybe they have been where you have.

Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next