Desert-Storm.com Community Forums

Community for Discussing the Gulf War.

A portion of any sale supports this site.

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Basrah Highway.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:27 pm 
Recruit

I was wondering if anyone knows of the body disposal at Basrah Highyway? I was a part of the clean up and there were some incinerations and mass graves but I can't find anything on this any where. It has caused me much pain and nightmares for which I am in therapy for(PTSD). Everything has been censored.I just feel alone and wondered does anyone else?[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:24 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division
I saw lots of dead at that area. I did not see any of the mass graves but know they were done. I sure remember the smell though.

Welcome to our world of nightmares and screwy ass dreams, VA finally classified me as PTSD a year ago but i have not filed for it yet.

(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton

Post subject: the smell
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:18 pm 
Recruit

Yea, I can remember the smell too. We had to take the bodies and with the army corp of engineers dig pits to throw them in,or should I say body parts. We had to put mogas and diesel fuel on them, aproximatly 50 to a pit to burn them completly. Sometimes fires would die out and we had to relight them until the fires started feeding themselves. Then move to another one. We were told not to tally them. It really sucked You're the first one that has ever had the nads to speak of it to me. Thank You! Its nice to know im not alone. P. S. , How do I get my war patch on my posts the way yours is .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:22 pm 
Recruit

yes, there were mass graves. that area was west of (TAP LINE ROAD), alot of engr. units were involved. if i remember right, the british were marking them with gps. i was a bull dozer operater at the time. i also remember it was about a days drive from AAA columbus. do you remember this point? alot of 24th id were stadged from here. thats about all you could at that point. it would had been very inhumane not to do this. it was a bad memmory for me also. im now 42 and glad to be alive. it was the first time i ever saw a dead anything. i think i have afew pictures from that area, i dont know how to post them.hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:24 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division
I only mentioned it because we spoke of such things in my VA Depression/PTSD group about a month or so ago. In some cases they feel its better to talk about it so we learn to deal/cope with it instead of keeping it cooped up inside us.

I heard a report that the VA is considering letting some of the PTSD people play war games on game consoles like the XBox to also help them deal with it, to see that even though its still there, their day goes on anyway. To help them see its in their past now.

Your have to set your avatar in your profile to show the pic. Send it to me and I will size and post it for you.

(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton

Post subject: Highway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:47 pm 
Recruit

To be honest, points of references are a little blurry. They had me all over the place doing stuff. mostly picking up body parts and such, putting them in deuce and 1/2's, then taking them to the holes and offloading them. I remember I think it was maybe the27th of Feb 91 I was positioned just outside Kuwait several hundred yards away behind sand dunes. We were told to wait and watch for Iraqi withdrawl from the city,in case they tried to take positions surrounding the road.Being a dozer oporator, I can Imagine how hard it was, the trenches and all that.(being occupied by Iraqi troops not expecting you). I agree with you about it being inhumane to just leave them their in the open after the assault on the 2nd of March I believe, on the Basrah highway ( highway 8 or 9) i cant remember. I have just started therapy today. I'm a little nervouse .Saying this here to you guys is more than I've usually talked about. It helps not being alone in this. Thanks to all... Thinking of it the way you said,it being inhumane to leave them there. That helps alot, i never thought of it that way So In a way I could think of it as us doing something proper,not nessasarily bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:12 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
I was there for a few hours. The Army messed up and sent a bunch of us there without weapons or any kind of gear and said that we were replacements. An English Officer asked for help in delievering the mail to his troops and a couple of us helped him out. I had photos but they were lost with just about everything else that I had when we were returning to Germany. It was not a pretty sight. :(

Post subject: Re: Basrah Highway.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:19 pm 
Recruit

I have seen the mass graves I was standing in one talking to a female sgt and a bulldozer was getting ready to cover them up i think lime was put on them or a white sheet or something white.
the VA said i have PTSD then next month the PTSD phyic. said she did not think i had it

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:46 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.
I do not remember any mass graves dug when we were sitting there on the highway up close to Basra. I do recall clearing the road for passage though. There were bodies everywhere. In and out of burned vehicle. Body pieces all over. True nastiness. Running over bodies in the sand was one thing but damn nasty on asphalt on a dozer or in a track. I knew of burial details but don't recall sites. Yet.... Always finding new topics for the shrink.

197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:34 pm 
Vet

Your Gulf War Unit: 197th Inf. 72nd ENG. CO
Hey Redfish, were you in heavy junk plt? Or line dog?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:30 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

I was remembering last night that the task force I was attached to hung out for a bit just south of Nasiriyah on highway 8 between there and Basra. Eventually, if memory serves, we moved down below Basra @ some point. There was some kind of brick jail looking building we were next to at one point but I don't remember where. I seem to have been very popular then I got attached to a number of different units all over the place. At one point, my shotgun and I found ourselves by ourselves in the middle of Iraq in the middle of the night in the middle of the ground attack. What a damn mess.

Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:42 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

What's up Trick? You and I buried some brand new generators together, and a buncha other shit, for what seemed like forever. I told ya then if I ever get outta the sand man I ain't comin' back out there. And, I have'nt. LOL......

Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:34 am 
Vet

Your Gulf War Unit: 197th Inf. 72nd ENG. CO
Remember that coffee pot we had forever? Man we were on our last leg when we left that place.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:41 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

LOL. Yea I had forgot about that. We had definitely had it. Wore slap out. All kinds of shit going on at that time

Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:50 pm 
Lifer

Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
Hell at least ya had a coffee pot ... I was cooking coffee in a canteen cup.

DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!