Few questions about Desert Storm

Do you have a question about Operation Desert Shield/Storm? Ask it here!
jerry424
Recruit

Post by jerry424 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:43 pm

I flew over on a 747 from Pope AFB to Brussels, then to Dhahran. Late Sept. We we taken to a camp built for foreign workers about 25 miles north of Dhahran called "Superleg City". I was only in tents from late Jan. through Feb, and half of Mar. They put us in apartments then, beds, showers, a pool. The flight back was interesting. Our plane broke. We had to land at a mostly evacuated AFB in Athens, and wait 12 1/2 hours watching old AFN tapes while a new plane was flow in.
5thFSEMSG
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by 5thFSEMSG » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:54 pm

Nice. I slept in tents the whole time over there. We rigged up some Environmental Control Units (ECUs), basically oversized tactical heat pumps, to provide airconditioning to a sleep tent for night shift. The Doctors (naturally) got one to themselves while everyone else had to sweat. The entire hospital was air conditioned so folks tended to spend extra time at work when the weather was too hot for comfort. That TEMPER set up is nice when it is up but it is an iron clad female dog to transport and set up.
5th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital, 5th Forward Surgical Element, Fort Bragg NC, DS/DS Oct 90 to Apr 91

jerry424
Recruit

Post by jerry424 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:56 pm

Was that one of those gigantic inflatable igloo looking things? I was in one once, though not for medical reasons.
ronvaeth88
Recruit

Re: Few questions about Desert Storm

Post by ronvaeth88 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:01 am

any body fly through Upper Heyford England?