Desert-Storm.com Community Forums

Community for Discussing the Gulf War.

A portion of any sale supports this site.

It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Few questions about Desert Storm
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:18 am 
Can someone tell me where were troops brought over on civilian planes landing to off load? Where were they stationed? A particular village or a ready made compound? WHat was it called if it was a compound?

Was it hot in November - February over there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:19 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division
I flew on on a "Tower Air" 747 Jumbo Jet and I think we landed at Dhahran Intl airport. We landed in the middle of the night and were bussed to Kobar Towers.

I was there from Jan through May and it was HOT during the day and COLD during the night. Temps ranged from upwards of a very dry 135* in the day to the low 30*'s at night.

(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:55 pm 
Recruit

we flew in on American to Dhahran in September, bussed to Jubail port to pick up vehicles and lowboyed out to the Kuwait border. We built our camp...first foxholes, then leentoos and finally tents. It was called Camp Manly. In January we lowboyed to the Neutral Zone and set up camps before going over the top. We left on Tower Air in March. With the heat, I also saw fog, rain (once) and it would get cold enough for some to wear parkas (wimps).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:37 am 
We shipped our helicopters and vehicles out of a port in Holland in early November 1990 flew on a Tower Air 747 out of Nurnberg to a Royal Saudi Air Force base near Dahlran at night with a stop in Rome Italy, (not sure why the stop) on the night of December 9-10. After seeing oil platforms in the gulf on approach and touching down we taxied along, I could see F-15 Eagles and Tornadoes from the USAF, RAF, RSAF, and even A-4 Skyhawks with "FREE KUWAIT" written on their sides. I wondered if that was written more to identify the aircraft's national affinity or as a plea whose answer indicated why we were there.

When I exited the jumbo my first sight was the eiriest cresent moon I've yet seen. It looked blood red and seemed on its side and shaped like a either a chesire cat grin or the blade of a fat scimitar. My second sight was more comforting, a pair of USAF F-15 Eagles lit their burners and roared down the runway on take off and felt like someone was standing guard.

We stayed in a tent city by the port for the first few days unloading our aircraft and adapting them for the desert before taking the tapline road out to near Hafar al Batin where we quickly set up shop in a bermed in tent city for our squadron and started training for desert as opposed to European attack helicopter ops.

After the shooting stopped most of my unit returned to a Royal Saudi Air Force Base near King Kahlid Military City. I and my Troop were reassigned to join our sister unit the 4-229th Attack Helicopter Battalion "Flying Tigers" in an Iraqi Air Force Base called As Salam from which we flew missions along the euphrates river valley to enforce the demarcation line between where the Coalition forces were withdrawing to go home and Saddam's force which periodically would attempt to harass us or the guys on the ground. While there we hardened aircraft shelters the airforce had bombed out the base an unexploded ordinace was scttered about so we lremained in tents in a cleared out area of the base.

Only when we were recalled to Saudi to go ship out and return to Germany did we actually get to live in solid building again, in the Kobar toweres which years later were bombed by terrorists. Funny, I heard the towers were built to house Saudi bedouins, who turned down the governments offer and perfer living in tents with their herds and Toyota pickup trucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:41 am 
Lifer

Your Gulf War Unit: "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"
Dagger X-Ray wrote:
I flew on on a "Tower Air" 747 Jumbo Jet and I think we landed at Dhahran Intl airport. We landed in the middle of the night and were bussed to Kobar Towers.

I was there from Jan through May and it was HOT during the day and COLD during the night. Temps ranged from upwards of a very dry 135* in the day to the low 30*'s at night.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought it was cold in the am! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:27 am 
Recruit

Your Gulf War Unit: 4th PLT, B Co, 511th MI Bn (TE), 207th BDE
We were flown in on a TWA 747 jet from Stuttgart, Germany to Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. The Aircraft was painted entirely white except for a black triangle under the cockpit windows. The chartered crew onboard the aircraft were all TWA flight attendants (the only way we knew it was TWA was their TWA nametags) but they called themselves "The Wings of Angels" instead of Trans World Airlines. They all stood out at the top of the airstairs as we deplaned and clapped and cheered for us as we marched out into our first Saudi Arabian dust cloud.

http://www.pyroinsomnia.com/eds1.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:53 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
Murf wrote:
We were flown in on a TWA 747 jet from Stuttgart, Germany to Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. The Aircraft was painted entirely white except for a black triangle under the cockpit windows. The chartered crew onboard the aircraft were all TWA flight attendants (the only way we knew it was TWA was their TWA nametags) but they called themselves "The Wings of Angels" instead of Trans World Airlines. They all stood out at the top of the airstairs as we deplaned and clapped and cheered for us as we marched out into our first Saudi Arabian dust cloud.

I also flew from Stuttgart to Dhaharan, Saudi Arabia. We flew on an American Trans Air plane. We stopped in Rome for re-fuel and I can remember getting off the plane in Saudi and smelling the burning shit. It was cold in the evening from December to about March/April, then it was pretty much hot, hot, hot during the day but comfortable at night. I remember during the December, Jan, Feb time frame that there was ice that formed during the night hours on anything that had water. I also remember freezing cold showers and one HELL of an updraft......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:47 am 
Recruit

Your Gulf War Unit: 599th Trans Det (MCT)
My unit flew out of Hunter Army Airfield near Savanna, Ga on an Air Force C-5. Stopped at an airbase outside of Madrid, Spain for a refuel and landed in Dharan. We spent a bout a week in the tent city at Dammam port then bused out to Log Base Alpha. After two months we moved westward to Log Base Echo. After the shooting stopped we were stationed at KKMC for a while before moving to Khobar Towers to wait for our turn to return home. We came back home on a United 747.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:16 pm 
Recruit

Flew from 'home' at Torrejon AB, just outside of Madrid up to Rhein-Main in Frankfort via USAF C-130, then caught a C-5 to RSAFB Dhahran (flying 'Space Available'). The next day, once again on a C-130 flew from Dhahran, to Riyadh, and over to The Qatar Emiri AF Base in Doha - home for the next seven months.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:26 pm 
Senior Vet

Your Gulf War Unit: HHC 43rd CSG / 1st Cav
Mike , where abouts in the old north state You call home Now ?

Binge drinking college student 06/86-10/88
N.C.N.G. 07/86-10/88
Ft Carson CO 10/88-9/91
HQ AFNorth 10/91-11/93

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:31 pm 
Senior Vet

Your Gulf War Unit: 1087th Trans Co.
Flew out of England Air Force Base Pineville La. We flew in C141"s all the way to Daharan.. Any one been to Ft. Polk La....It is now a National traniing center.... it was rainy cold Dec morning to a hot 0300 landing in Daharan.

16th support group
4th Trans Batt.
1087 Trans Co.
Road Warrior
SSG Retired..... 1976-1997
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you.
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G.I.
"One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!"
Life Member VFW Post 9573

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:24 pm 
Recruit

Why do you want to know? Sorry, but maybe I have grown a little cynical over the years but I think some of you are giving out way to much information to sensitive information. No matter how long it has been since we've been there.

Post subject: Storm.com Community Forums :: View topic - Few questions abo
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:38 am 
Recruit

The first week of the air war saw a few Iraqi sorties; but these did little damage, Desert-Storm.com Online Community For Desert-Storm Veterans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:20 pm 
Recruit

prettykitty57401 wrote:
Why do you want to know? Sorry, but maybe I have grown a little cynical over the years but I think some of you are giving out way to much information to sensitive information. No matter how long it has been since we've been there.

None of this is OPSEC sensitive stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:10 pm 
Vet

WE flew out on various c-47s and c-5a's. Our unit arrived in bits and pieces. sone flew, some went by boat. We flew home on civivlian 747 and all of the unit's equipment came home by boat.