Desert-Storm.com Community Forums

Community for Discussing the Gulf War.

A portion of any sale supports this site.

It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: VA finally got around to looking me and my claim over
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:48 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division
I just got some paperwork yesterday and it says my claim was approved for Depression only.

I had originally filed for:
* Sleep Apnea
* PTSD
* Depression
* ]Rashes on both legs
* Tinitus

I was denied for all but the Depression, the paperwork states that while they recognize I have been receiving treatment for the above they feel I did not provide enough evidence to support it.

I figured some of it would be considered under § 3.317 Compensation for certain disabilities occurring in Persian Gulf veterans but apparently not.

The plus side of this all is that they rated my depression at 70%. However they claim I have not provided the VA with my wife's SSN so they cannot pay me for her as a dependent. All I can say is WTF? She has been in my VA file since a week after we were married 11 years ago and I have to provide them with both hers and my financials every year. They have all my children's info but claim they do not have my wifes info. I will take care of completing that paperwork rickytick.

I plan to contact the DAV as well as a couple of other hopefuls (one of them here in the forums) and see what course I need to take to have the others reconsidered. My 1 ACE card for a buddy letter just plain disappeared on me and has not replied to any of my requests to him to followup on his offer to write it for me. Hard to believe since he was a Butter-Bar during the Storm and is now a Lt Colonel in the reserves. He has to know how important and valuable this statement would be to my claim.

I'll keep you all updated with this as it hopefully progresses in my favor.

(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton

Post subject: Re: VA finally got around to looking me and my claim over
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:04 pm 
Vet

Glad to see you are making some progress, albeit small.

Gotta love bureaucracy! Missing a spouse you have been telling them about forever..... Come on...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:41 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.
They didn't initially pay me for my wife or my 5 kids. It took them 7 months to pay it. But, they do retro pay that too. :) The other things you have claimed are tough from what I hear. Are you claimng them as "presumptives"? Congrats though on your rating. Good luck on your NOD

197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:29 am 
Recruit

Your Gulf War Unit: HHC 1st Engineers 1st Infantry
Dagger X-Ray wrote:
I just got some paperwork yesterday and it says my claim was approved for Depression only.

I had originally filed for:
* Sleep Apnea
* PTSD
* Depression
* ]Rashes on both legs
* Tinitus

I was denied for all but the Depression, the paperwork states that while they recognize I have been receiving treatment for the above they feel I did not provide enough evidence to support it.

I figured some of it would be considered under § 3.317 Compensation for certain disabilities occurring in Persian Gulf veterans but apparently not.

The plus side of this all is that they rated my depression at 70%. However they claim I have not provided the VA with my wife's SSN so they cannot pay me for her as a dependent. All I can say is WTF? She has been in my VA file since a week after we were married 11 years ago and I have to provide them with both hers and my financials every year. They have all my children's info but claim they do not have my wifes info. I will take care of completing that paperwork rickytick.

I plan to contact the DAV as well as a couple of other hopefuls (one of them here in the forums) and see what course I need to take to have the others reconsidered. My 1 ACE card for a buddy letter just plain disappeared on me and has not replied to any of my requests to him to followup on his offer to write it for me. Hard to believe since he was a Butter-Bar during the Storm and is now a Lt Colonel in the reserves. He has to know how important and valuable this statement would be to my claim.

I'll keep you all updated with this as it hopefully progresses in my favor.

Dagger
This J from 1st engineers 1st ID since we shared almost the same paths by min. time. Is there something that I can help you with. Glad to hear that you have your rating. I haven't heard much on mine, other that its in the decision stage. I had my QTC appt on 10/27/11 and haven't heard much. My email is jmartinez14p@hotmail.com reach out if you like. I'll be glad to help, I also have a booklet that states the paths that the 1st engineers took and some of our works.
take care J

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:24 am 
Soldier

Your Gulf War Unit: 1st ID, 3rd AD, 181st Chem Co, 84th Chem, 46th Chem.
Dagger X-Ray wrote:

Hard to believe since he was a Butter-Bar during the Storm and is now a Lt Colonel in the reserves. He has to know how important and valuable this statement would be to my claim.

Not surprising at all to me.

Seems like anytime you mention to someone that you are making a claim with the VA they go into this mode of "he is trying to screw the government and tax payer over"!

Good luck in getting that from him.

Veterans helping Veterans
C&P Database
Veterans Voice Server

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:15 pm 
Senior Vet

Your Gulf War Unit: 72nd. ENGR. CO. 197TH INF. BDE. 24TH INF
dagger,
you in the same boat as me. they got me at 30% for ptsd, denied the rest...im gatherin more stuff to appeal the rating. they had me down as single, no dependents ..i got a wife, 2 kids...when i called an asked wtf..they said they never recieved any information on my family in my claim( wife sent in a letter stating how i am) :roll: . anyway, i told them that all the marriage licenses, birth certificates for kids in the same envelope that my claim was in 8O . ...lol...gov never changes...
at 70 % the disability rating may let u get even more compensation , cause u can get rated not able 2 work, ... im vague on how that works, but basically u get more money from va to NOT work, i know alot that has this. ask your rep about it, they'll know about it, an me ...good luck in your appeal bro.

18th AIRBORNE CORPS
SAPPERS FORWARD!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:43 am 
Recruit

Your Gulf War Unit: HHB, 2/3 ADA, 1I.D., 7th Core
They finally got my paperwork done a few months back and rated at 100% with my PTSD and Fibromyalgia. It's kinda strange... But it's a start... Now if we can get the meds right, maybe I can live a little more normal??

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:05 pm 
Recruit

Your Gulf War Unit: USS La Salle (AGF-3)
I am two years into my claim (and projected to be two more years before the finish according to eBenefits).
I am extremely interested in the Sleep Apnea issue... Will you appeal?
Here is some of the info I found on Sleep Apnea:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-volpi-md-pc-facs/veterans-sleep-apnea_b_2082960.html
"Consider these statistics: According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), one out of every five war veterans has been diagnosed with OSA -- compared with only five out of 100 civilians in the general population. And between 2008 and 2010, the number of veterans who received medical benefits related to sleep apnea grew by 61 percent, from 39,145 cases in 2008 to 63,118 cases in 2010"

"The results of the study are published in the October 2012 issue of Psychosomatic Medicine in the article "Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, and Health in Immigrants." http://www.psychosomaticmedicine.org/content/74/8/824.abstract The research showed that:

Those who left Iraq after the war began and suffered from mental disorders such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and depression and self-rated their physical health as worse than their actual health were 43 times more likely than pre-Gulf War immigrants to report OSA and later develop major chronic health issues, such as cardiovascular disease."