Desert-Storm.com Community Forums

Community for Discussing the Gulf War.

A portion of any sale supports this site.

It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: VA Issues
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:01 pm 
Recruit

Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Inf. Div. Ft Stewart GA Svc Btry 3/41 63D/H8
ok i got hurt in the war. not by the norm but I got almost thrown out of a hatch and tore my ACL and cracked 3 ribs. I got out in 99 on a med discharge because of my knee. 10% :roll: . Since then I have had 6 more operations on them and VA keeps saying it is an extention of the original injury and will not increase my %. Does anyone here think I need to get a lawyer involved. Also has anyone had any memory lost or joint pains due to the war. I have recenty, well over the last 3 year, started getting memory lose and a lot of joint pain from my arms to my hands?

Post subject: Re: VA Issues
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:50 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division
I suggest you get an outside Orthapedic involved. Have it looked over and a diagnosis and then appeal the request for an increase with that documentation.

(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:40 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division
Had my C&P Psych eval today based on the questionnaire visit 2 weeks ago. Doc was very nice and easy talking. Had a lot of good questions, felt there should have been more though that specifically address what my experiences were that I feel led to my PTSD claim as well as what the triggers my reactions to it. I felt there should have been more questions about my anxiety claim and when and where it is triggered as well.

(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:45 am 
Soldier

Your Gulf War Unit: Eagle Troop 3ACR
go to a representative at the VA you go to, such as the American Legion, VFW, DAV, AMVETS, if you are a member or not, most of these organizations are represented at the VA and will help you with claims and appeals and just to get advice from. I found a lawer that specialized in Service connected claims for vets and they asked for a 20% donation for anything they get you (first check only) so if they get you 100% its about $400. I was happy to pay, however, I think you could get the same dilligence from any service organization for free. If you arent getting the results, just fire them and try another one. Dont get frustrated and give up.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
- J o h n S t e w a r t M i l l

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:40 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.
Dagger, If you saw a psychiatrist, that's the norm according to how mine goes. The psych doc just does meds and a few general questions as to not upset the vet. To get into the meat of your baggage, you go see the therapist. In some, cases thats a pyschologist in some cases it's a social worker that's actually a therapist. I've seen them all. Talk to your doc and get into see the therapist and ask to be in group or individual therapy. That's where the rubber hits the road. Go get the help you earned. You and your family will be better for it

197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:41 pm 
Soldier

Your Gulf War Unit: 1st ID, 3rd AD, 181st Chem Co, 84th Chem, 46th Chem.
redfish wrote:
To get into the meat of your baggage, you go see the therapist. In some, cases thats a pyschologist in some cases it's a social worker that's actually a therapist.

I certainly agree.

You really need to have PTSD attacked on two fronts. The Psychiatrist (medicine man) and the Therapist. I have made improvements just being able to talk with the LCSW at the Vet Center and the VA Psychiatrist that I have been seeing for over a year relies heavily on what the therapist discovers.

The Psychiatrist used to diagnose in my Progress Notes MDD as primary and "Consider PTSD Elements" ..... I knew nothing of this and have learned allot. The LCSW (Vet Center) diagnosed me as primary PTSD and gave me a letter to take to my VA Shrink. After that my Progress Notes all have Axis I as PTSD and narratives that explain how the effects of my combat exposure are related to my current condition.

Funny thing is ..... I don't even know if that will be enough for the VA. I feel that they will find another way to weasel out. I requested a 'Reconsideration' in October and submitted that new evidence. I looked on ebenefits today and noticed that it has went from "Claim Received" (the first phase) to "Preparation for Notification" (the next to last phase) with the addition of "Administrative Review". Never stopped anywhere in between those phases.

That all makes me think they just rubber stamped the original denial.....Happy Holidays to all. I sure hope you folks have a great Christmas and enjoyable family time.......Ham is going in the oven shortly.....That is all I look forward to twice a year....

Veterans helping Veterans
C&P Database
Veterans Voice Server