Rating

Post your experiences dealing with the VA Disability Filing Process for GWS, issues with VA diagnoses, and so on.
jmartinez
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: HHC 1st Engineers 1st Infantry

Rating

Post by jmartinez » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:38 am

How many of us are still waiting for our ratings? I have provided statements, medical records for over two years. I call every month to check on status and have been told that its being reviewed. Any advice from anyone will helpand my local DAV handler isn't much help either.
J....
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.

Re: Rating

Post by redfish » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:14 pm

There are a lot of us waiting bro. I just got scheduled for my 3rd and 4th C&P. Lord the waiting is a monster. At least now I can work in my garden.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
haze
Senior Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 72nd. ENGR. CO. 197TH INF. BDE. 24TH INF

Post by haze » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:03 pm

i've been waiting since sept 2010, got 2 c&p"s done, 5 to go. i got a letter from the va wanting a copy of my records from 1988!!! seems the va has lost those... :roll: 8O :evil: .
72nd. ENGR. CO.
197th. INF. BDE(m)(s)
24th. INF.DIV
18th AIRBORNE CORPS
SAPPERS FORWARD!
DsrtStrmVet91
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: C co 1st/502nd 101 st ABN

Post by DsrtStrmVet91 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:42 pm

A DD2807-2 is the form you filled out when you first went to Meps. This forms shows what issues you had before enlistment. If it says you had no issues and now you are broken then that should be all the proof you need. I still have my entire file from 1988 till now. I have heard too many war stories and don't want to get hosed.
DsrtStrmVet91
Recruit

Post by DsrtStrmVet91 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:46 pm

A DD2807-2 is the form you filled out when you first went to Meps. This forms shows what issues you had before enlistment. If it says you had no issues and now you are broken then that should be all the proof you need. I still have my entire file from 1988 till now. I have heard too many war stories and don't want to get hosed.
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:03 am

Thats good that you have all that. Most of us though were not that insightful. I never wondered about any records until 2 years ago. Since '91 I've moved probably 20 times in 6 different states and had 3 wives. Several times I've been on the street with an old car and a bag of clothes. Naw, I ain't got no records from when I was 19 going into the service. I mean even during the middle of the ground war, there were a couple of occasions that my unit had no idea where I was or where they were. So, there is no way that they could ever say what I was exposed to or not exposed to. And, being seperated from our unit was not uncommon in my company. Being an engineer in an infantry brigade, is like being a joint in a circle of potheads. You just get passed from person to person. Luckily for me however I was able to provide an AAR from the XVIII airborne corps which mentioned my unit, location, date and time of my stressor incident. I got a buddy letter from Haze. I got a letter from my last employer, from my family and I wrote my own self report. Several C&P's later I got awarded my rating. It took 2 years. It cost me a bankruptcy and a reposession. It cost me a couple of suicide attempts. It cost me several rides with the police. I had to borrow money from family and I got financial hardship help from my church. The waiting is a real bitch. There really is no accurate to check its progress in the "system". All you can do is wait. I still don't have any medical records. Hell I can't be relied upon to keep up with anything. I got out of the truck the other night and came inside. The next day I found that I left the truck running. All kinds of things like that. No, I don't have any medical records from 23 years ago.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
DsrtStrmVet91
Recruit

Post by DsrtStrmVet91 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:30 pm

Sledgehammer are there any records in St. Louis from when you first enlisted?If so that's where the proof is, but I am sure they don't have them. I understand being an Eng, you are so right always attached to units, kinda sucks. I regret staying on AD for so long, but I have been passed over for promotion because I am afraid to take charge of any personnel, like you say we can barely take care of ourselves at times. I have dodged leadership positions because I know my weaknesses and to have these punks messing with me and doging me. Its all good I have not exactly been diagnosed with fibro or CFS, but as far as undiagnosed illnesses? My doctor keeps giving me meds, sending me out for surgeries, but I am not getting better and no one believes the pain I am in. I am afraid if I don't fight now I will be screwed later. It seems like it is an up hill battle for all of us, but sad to see so many shammers, scammers, getting paid when they didn't do a thing. For real things like carpel tunnel, served 3 years getting 40percent. I see it everyday. I just failed my sleep apnea test and learned I will need the CPAP for the rest of my life. If I don't get something from the gov, VA or whoever assigns disability, I am gonna feel cheated. If you ever need to talk, I am here.
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:27 pm

Thank you brother. Same to you. This site has really slowed down recently but some of us linger from time to time. I first went to the VA in '92. Got diagnosed with PTSD and put on Xanax. Couldn't take the crap. Knocked me out. They never offered therapy or nothing. I never went back there. Long story short and three VAMC's later in Atlanta they pissed me off so bad I vowed to never be back. That was in '95. I was taken back to the VA ER in Ashville, NC in '09. They took great care of me. Started me on meds, therapy and filing my claim for PTSD. I've been well taken care of since. Been through several groups and some one on one. It never gets better but you can learn to cope. I've never had any real other issues. Maybe staying in a whiskey bottle through the 90's kept me pickled. Sounds like you've had a lot of medical issues. Do you have fibromyalgia? Have you been on the VBN website?
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"