Seperation pay

Post your experiences dealing with the VA Disability Filing Process for GWS, issues with VA diagnoses, and so on.
tricky89
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 197th Inf. 72nd ENG. CO

Seperation pay

Post by tricky89 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:03 pm

I just got one of my ratings back this week, but they are withholding payment until my seperation pay is payed back,,, why would i pay that back?
197th inf. 72nd engr. Heavy Junk
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.

Re: Seperation pay

Post by redfish » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:12 pm

Never heard of that. Call that 800 number and ask. Ask that question on VBN. Get rated what you deserved?
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
sgt Jake
Soldier
Your Gulf War Unit: Eagle Troop 3ACR

Post by sgt Jake » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:35 am

doesnt sound right. If they had money due they would have taken it out of your fed tax return a long time ago. great to hear you got a rating, now the fight with appeals process can begin. hang in there, time is on your side! 8)
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
- J o h n S t e w a r t M i l l
wmebert
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Dco 3/327th Inf 101st Airborne Division

Post by wmebert » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:13 am

Did you get out of the Army under the SSB or VSB program? I did, I got $24k after taxes. If I remember correctly any future moneys paid out such as retirement from the USAR or NG or VA Disability would be used to 1st pay back the money you received. Once you're at a zero balance you would then start receiving the payments. Pretty sh!tty deal I think. I'd still check on it tho. My memory isn't what it used to be.... :roll:
CSC 1/87 Inf, 8th ID, Baumholder, GE 81-83
CSC 4/9 Inf, HHC 1/9 Inf, 7th ID Fort Ord, CA 83-87
CSC 1/506th Inf, 2nd ID, Camp Greaves, ROK 87-88
Army Recruiter, 100 Oaks Mall, Nashville, TN 88-90
D Co. 3/327th Inf. 101st ABN, Fort Campbell, KY Desert Shield/Desert Storm 90-92
Various USAR & NG Units 1992-2004 AR, OH, PA
tricky89
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 197th Inf. 72nd ENG. CO

Post by tricky89 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:18 am

wmebert wrote:Did you get out of the Army under the SSB or VSB program? I did, I got $24k after taxes. If I remember correctly any future moneys paid out such as retirement from the USAR or NG or VA Disability would be used to 1st pay back the money you received. Once you're at a zero balance you would then start receiving the payments. Pretty sh!tty deal I think. I'd still check on it tho. My memory isn't what it used to be.... :roll:
As far as i know, it was a regular ETS, i just usumed the money was for 6 months duty, i went over my ets due to contract from a reserve unit prior. The amount was 5000 dollars. But, it seems in the dissicion prosess, they semm to admit they knew we were exposed to chemicals.
197th inf. 72nd engr. Heavy Junk
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.

Post by redfish » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:30 pm

I've no idea. What a crappy deal.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
haze
Senior Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 72nd. ENGR. CO. 197TH INF. BDE. 24TH INF

Post by haze » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:20 am

trick, good to hear from you.... sounds like the regular government B.S.
do you still got a copy of where you first joined up? the paperwork should have your ETS date on it , if i'm remembering right. i'm thinking that i've still got mine in my paperwork somewhere. if it was a regular ets, the only thing that you should have recieved was any leave time that you had saved up, and if you had say 24 days leave saved at the time of your ets. that would add up to quite abit there. that also would be in your seperation papers that you got while clearing, along with the notification that you still needed to finish your previous reserve time. .....good luck.
72nd. ENGR. CO.
197th. INF. BDE(m)(s)
24th. INF.DIV
18th AIRBORNE CORPS
SAPPERS FORWARD!