Desert-Storm.com Community Forums

Community for Discussing the Gulf War.

A portion of any sale supports this site.

It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: My claim and your advice please ...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:19 pm 
Offline
Soldier
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:13 am
Posts: 55
Your Gulf War Unit: 1st ID, 3rd AD, 181st Chem Co, 84th Chem, 46th Chem.
jmartinez wrote:

Brother
Don't let it bring you down or stress about it. Truth of the matter is that you helped yourself more than you think. There is transportation help for apointments through the DAV, try them. It is important that you make this apointments. My email is jmartinez14p@hotmail.com get in touch with me and I can help out more. I have been waiting on my claim since 2008 and have not heard much on it, but through the wait I have learned to coach other through their claims.
J




Well let me tell you that it did in fact hurt my case. I was able to obtain a copy of the report of the QTC Med Group and the Doctors report. I must have pissed her of quite a bit because there is no mention of my flare up in there at all. As a matter of fact she characterized me as calm and composed during the entire session. Maintaining direct eye contact. etc....

There are so many numerous "Lies" in this report. Way to many for me to list. but examples would be:

1.) I told her I was currently under Psychiatric care and treatment at the Local VA Clinic. She stated under mental History. He reports No treatment or Psychiatric disorders.

2.) In the very beginning she states that I did not participate in combat activity.....Yet later on she describes me talking about the dead bodies, Scud Missile Attacks, and fear of attack. ??????

3.) I specifically told her that after the gulf war and once I was transferred to Korea I started drinking heavily. Every day for 31 days. But she characterized me as saying that it was "Socially". She said I was was still abusing the substance. I specific told her that I had not had a drink in over a year.

Dudes and Dudettes! Be forewarned that when you go to your C&P Exam for PTSD or anxiety disorder then DO NOT PISS OFF or GET PISSED OFF at your interviewer. She just ripped me a new one with complete un truths as to what was reported.

I mean shit as simple as this: THERE HAVE BEEN NO MAJOR CHANGES IN HIS DAILY ACTIVITIES SINCE HE DEVELOPED HIS MENTAL CONDITION! I guess that would be the one that she stated earlier that I did not claim to/ nor have!!!!! WTF?????

I broke down in the parking lot today and could not come home from my Rep for over two hours. I guess a breakdown when I can't understand how you can win anything with people like this who inject personal feeling into the mix. She was not even a Psychiatrist actually. Just a doctor.

She said I was a "Reliable Historian". Remember me saying earlier that I got pissed off because I could not remember dates and things that she wanted?

The bottom line. There is nothing I can do about this woman. She was on the rag and I pissed her off and she got back at me! Simple as that! That is justice in our out sourced VA system.

I decided I am not mentally capable of dealing with the ordeal of an appeal when they deny me based on her lies. I have decided to just cancel my surgery for Prostate Cancer, Go back and get some sort of job that I can do, and let the cancer just kill me. That way it is not technically suicide!!!!

_________________
.


Image
Veterans helping Veterans
C&P Database
Veterans Voice Server


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My claim and your advice please ...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:35 pm 
Offline
Recruit
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:51 pm
Posts: 42
Your Gulf War Unit: HHC 1st Engineers 1st Infantry
wdroberson wrote:
jmartinez wrote:

Brother
Don't let it bring you down or stress about it. Truth of the matter is that you helped yourself more than you think. There is transportation help for apointments through the DAV, try them. It is important that you make this apointments. My email is jmartinez14p@hotmail.com get in touch with me and I can help out more. I have been waiting on my claim since 2008 and have not heard much on it, but through the wait I have learned to coach other through their claims.
J




Well let me tell you that it did in fact hurt my case. I was able to obtain a copy of the report of the QTC Med Group and the Doctors report. I must have pissed her of quite a bit because there is no mention of my flare up in there at all. As a matter of fact she characterized me as calm and composed during the entire session. Maintaining direct eye contact. etc....

There are so many numerous "Lies" in this report. Way to many for me to list. but examples would be:

1.) I told her I was currently under Psychiatric care and treatment at the Local VA Clinic. She stated under mental History. He reports No treatment or Psychiatric disorders.

2.) In the very beginning she states that I did not participate in combat activity.....Yet later on she describes me talking about the dead bodies, Scud Missile Attacks, and fear of attack. ??????

3.) I specifically told her that after the gulf war and once I was transferred to Korea I started drinking heavily. Every day for 31 days. But she characterized me as saying that it was "Socially". She said I was was still abusing the substance. I specific told her that I had not had a drink in over a year.

Dudes and Dudettes! Be forewarned that when you go to your C&P Exam for PTSD or anxiety disorder then DO NOT PISS OFF or GET PISSED OFF at your interviewer. She just ripped me a new one with complete un truths as to what was reported.

I mean shit as simple as this: THERE HAVE BEEN NO MAJOR CHANGES IN HIS DAILY ACTIVITIES SINCE HE DEVELOPED HIS MENTAL CONDITION! I guess that would be the one that she stated earlier that I did not claim to/ nor have!!!!! WTF?????

I broke down in the parking lot today and could not come home from my Rep for over two hours. I guess a breakdown when I can't understand how you can win anything with people like this who inject personal feeling into the mix. She was not even a Psychiatrist actually. Just a doctor.

She said I was a "Reliable Historian". Remember me saying earlier that I got pissed off because I could not remember dates and things that she wanted?

The bottom line. There is nothing I can do about this woman. She was on the rag and I pissed her off and she got back at me! Simple as that! That is justice in our out sourced VA system.

I decided I am not mentally capable of dealing with the ordeal of an appeal when they deny me based on her lies. I have decided to just cancel my surgery for Prostate Cancer, Go back and get some sort of job that I can do, and let the cancer just kill me. That way it is not technically suicide!!!!



Damn Brother
I'm so sorry to hear that you were treated in this manner. I know exactly how you feel, when I first approached the VA to be seen through their system. I came out of there feeling like shit, and like you I cried my ass off. I had just had my daughter and wanted to feel better physically, I was told by all my vet buddies to go and get looked at. I tried to register for help and was told that I made to much money. The individaul looked at the paper work that I had from my civilian Dr. and mention to go file for my symptoms. The VSO looked at the medical records, DD 214 and said "Ok so you were in combat, there is nothing wrong with you". Lucky for him my wife made me give up my 45 because I would've used it.. Since then I have filed on my own, learned the in's and out's through trail and error. I have managed to help two of my buddies recieve the ratings. One is rated at 70% and another at 100%..

I have my first appointment for PTSD tomorrow at 1100, its been in the making for two years.

My advice file the appeal because they want you to quit. If you don't do it for yourself do it for your love ones because GOD knows they suffer as well. Feel free to contact me jmartinez14p@hotmail.com..

By the wat you wouldn't happen to be an NBC fella?

j


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My claim and your advice please ...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:54 pm 
Offline
Soldier
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:13 am
Posts: 55
Your Gulf War Unit: 1st ID, 3rd AD, 181st Chem Co, 84th Chem, 46th Chem.
Yeah 54B

Started back in 85 as a 54C .... Make Smoke .....Then they consolidated the MOS's.

If you go for a PTSD C&P with an outside contracted agency then man I hope and prey for you that you keep your cool and don't get aggravated by the questions and lack of ability to answer them as quick as they want you to.

I appreciate the responses too. I have no one right now to talk to. I feel like the whole world is against me and I could not even bring my self to be able to tell my wife the bad news today.

I know one thing. I am going to quit lying to them when I say I never have suicidal thoughts. I have been too proud to admit that and other things. Today in that parking lot I was really in bad shape.

I think I will take this copy of this report to my Doctor that I see through the VA and tell him I need some Valium or something because this is just to much for me.

I know. I can't give up. They have to fix me! That is the bottom line!

_________________
.


Image
Veterans helping Veterans
C&P Database
Veterans Voice Server


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My claim and your advice please ...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:08 am 
Offline
Recruit
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:51 pm
Posts: 42
Your Gulf War Unit: HHC 1st Engineers 1st Infantry
wdroberson wrote:
Yeah 54B

Started back in 85 as a 54C .... Make Smoke .....Then they consolidated the MOS's.

If you go for a PTSD C&P with an outside contracted agency then man I hope and prey for you that you keep your cool and don't get aggravated by the questions and lack of ability to answer them as quick as they want you to.

I appreciate the responses too. I have no one right now to talk to. I feel like the whole world is against me and I could not even bring my self to be able to tell my wife the bad news today.

I know one thing. I am going to quit lying to them when I say I never have suicidal thoughts. I have been too proud to admit that and other things. Today in that parking lot I was really in bad shape.

I think I will take this copy of this report to my Doctor that I see through the VA and tell him I need some Valium or something because this is just to much for me.

I know. I can't give up. They have to fix me! That is the bottom line!


Brother Hang in there.
I know I had the s-thoughts run through me on several times. Twice the round didn't go off for what ever reason, just glad it didn't because of my family. Keep going to your sessions and use this site to vent. This site has done more for me than any Dr. has been able to. Knowing that I'm not alone has helped me more than any meds have.

I to was a 54B, was stationed with 1st Engineers 1st ID. Served with Echo Co. first then transfered to HHC Co., when the Top was transfered he took me along. I got lucky everyone in the Battalion seemed to get along. It helped that I could out drink most of them...

j


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My claim and your advice please ...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:05 am 
Offline
Good Soldiers Never Die
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:36 pm
Posts: 1009
Location: North Carolina
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.
wdroberson, sounds like you gotta bum deal. I hate to hear it. Once you get your rating, if you don't agree with it, you can file a nod. Getting angry, upset, nervous or uncomfortable about PTSD questions is the essence of PTSD. Some of the raters are good and some are bad. I've been fortunate but have heard stories about bad ones. Even from the docs who say things to me like if you ever have an appointment with him, reschedule with someone else because he low balls everyone. The treatment you got sounds like the standard from in the 90's. I went to a number of VA's and got brushed off or not even seen. If you are gonna get any help, you are gonna have to start being open with your provider. They can't help if they don't know what all is going on with you. That will also help your claim. The VARO person who is actually going to give you a rating will look at your entire picture so they won't just go off of one bad C&P. However, if you have been less than open with your VA docs, there won't be a lot of evidence to support your PTSD claim. Whenever you have these SI thoughts, get some help. Go straight to the VA ER and tell them whats up! If you are gonna get any help, you gotta let them know that you need it. Sorry you got a bad rap but keep your dukes up and get back in there!

_________________
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My claim and your advice please ...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:09 pm 
Offline
Soldier
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:13 am
Posts: 55
Your Gulf War Unit: 1st ID, 3rd AD, 181st Chem Co, 84th Chem, 46th Chem.
I am still here btw... I haven't done anything completely rash. I did check myself into the locked down mental ward there in Augusta though and started being more honest with the Doc's. I didn't stay very long but I did get some changes to med's and a rude awakening as to how fortunate I am to some of the lost souls in there. God Help some of those guys. I pray for them.

Yes this site is a great help and I won't give up and do nothing stupid. I was stupid to ever right that previous thing about the cancer earlier as well as characterizing that bad C&P Examiner and the monthly cycle comment. Sorry to anyone that I may have offended by that comment. After reading it today I thought "Damn what an ass!"

_________________
.


Image
Veterans helping Veterans
C&P Database
Veterans Voice Server


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My claim and your advice please ...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:39 pm 
Offline
Recruit
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:51 pm
Posts: 42
Your Gulf War Unit: HHC 1st Engineers 1st Infantry
wdroberson wrote:
I am still here btw... I haven't done anything completely rash. I did check myself into the locked down mental ward there in Augusta though and started being more honest with the Doc's. I didn't stay very long but I did get some changes to med's and a rude awakening as to how fortunate I am to some of the lost souls in there. God Help some of those guys. I pray for them.

Yes this site is a great help and I won't give up and do nothing stupid. I was stupid to ever right that previous thing about the cancer earlier as well as characterizing that bad C&P Examiner and the monthly cycle comment. Sorry to anyone that I may have offended by that comment. After reading it today I thought "Damn what an ass!"


It happens, the good thing is that your okay and you sound better. We're here to help each other and as I mentioned in the past. This site does help me out more than some of the pills that I take.... We vent and we advise never critique each others action.... Stay positive even when its hard....
j


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My claim and your advice please ...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:43 pm 
Offline
Recruit
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:51 pm
Posts: 42
Your Gulf War Unit: HHC 1st Engineers 1st Infantry
Well Fellas
I was diagnose with PTSD this past Monday, the social worker asked me to go and file because I deserve it. I also have been to two group meetings this week. Now the real question is, should I really file because I don't want to be let down by being denied anymore. I have my first session with a phychiatrist next Friday. What would you all do, I don't want to be let down anymore??? Don't think I can handle being denied anymore....
J


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My claim and your advice please ...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:40 am 
Offline
Good Soldiers Never Die
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:35 pm
Posts: 1899
Location: Central Florida
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division
Yes, file. PTSD is much easier for DS Vets to prove now. They have lightened the guidelines.

_________________
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My claim and your advice please ...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:02 am 
Offline
Good Soldiers Never Die
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:36 pm
Posts: 1009
Location: North Carolina
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.
File bro. I first went into the VA in '93 for PTSD symptoms in Waco TX. The doc said yep you have PTSD. HE ordered me some Xanax and that was the end of it. No follow up or therapy. The Xanax knocked me out so I never took it. In about '95, I went in at Tuskeegee VA for symptoms of PTSD. I sat in there literally all day. At 5pm the lady said they are closing I will have to come back tomorrow. I never got seen. In '96 or so, I went in for my gulf war C&P. They did'nt even tell me at the time it was a C&P or even what that was. The doc asked about my PTSD complaints and he said I would get over it and I couldn't have PTSD because our war was only 4 days long. October 2009, my family did an intervention and made me go to the ER at the VA in Ashville, NC. I had gone past anger and had started forcing confrontation. I was getting out of control. I kept telling my wife why in the hell would I go to the VA? They ain't ever done anything for me. I was angry as usual. When we got to the VA, the snotty woman behind the counter asked what brings you in today? So still being angry, I leaned over her counter and glared at her and said I feel like I'd like to start killin' folks! All of a sudden like a switch, I was treated amazingly. They walked me to admissions and back to the triage nurse and back to a room. I have been treated great there. I go to therapy, get meds, and psych there. They helped me with my claim. I have never regretted going this time.

Things have changed J. They know a lot more about PTSD now. They have good therapy available and appropriate meds now. (not Xanax). You'll need a few things for your claim.

1. A CIB or Purple Heart or Brronze Star with V device (this proves combat) OR an inservice stressor event that you can prove you were present for. Presumably they changed the fact that we have to prove a stressor. I still hear about the VA asking for it though. They asked for mine. You can write a statement about what you experienced in storm. If ya can get a buddy letter, even better to go with your statement.

2. A diagnosis of PTSD from a psychiatrist

3. A Nexus statement from your psych doc.


* I turned in a bunch of stuff in support of my claim. a letter from my previous employer, letters from Haze, my wife, my mother, medical records from private hospitals, my own statement, a VA form called an incident report, a copy of the XVIII airborne corps after action report from storm which made note of my stressor. Everything I had that might help my claim.

File brother. Be proactive with your claim and show them how your time in Iraq continues to have a negative impact on your life. Like you said bro, you earned it. PTSD gets worse with age not better. If you quit, they win.

Adam

_________________
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My claim and your advice please ...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:28 pm 
Offline
Soldier
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:13 am
Posts: 55
Your Gulf War Unit: 1st ID, 3rd AD, 181st Chem Co, 84th Chem, 46th Chem.
redfish wrote:

* I turned in a bunch of stuff in support of my claim. a letter from my previous employer, letters from Haze, my wife, my mother, medical records from private hospitals, my own statement, a VA form called an incident report, a copy of the XVIII airborne corps after action report from storm which made note of my stressor. Everything I had that might help my claim.

Adam


I wish that I had found this, and other sites like this site, before I had made my initial claim. I thought I was prepared and knew what I was doing but the fact is I did not have enough knowledge to equal the optimism I had that my claim would be a slam dunk.

My claim is not decided yet and I am still optimistic that I will be rated on a couple of areas but if I had read and learned more about PTSD, been more honest about certain symptoms and not let pride get in the way, and had more ammunition ready when going into this battle then I would have fared much better. Instead I am going to probably have to make up for it in my appeal when and if necessary.

So take head to Redfish and go in with the proper armament and yours probably will be a slam dunk.

_________________
.


Image
Veterans helping Veterans
C&P Database
Veterans Voice Server


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My claim and your advice please ...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:34 pm 
Offline
Recruit
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:51 pm
Posts: 42
Your Gulf War Unit: HHC 1st Engineers 1st Infantry
My VSO showed my an article in the Air Force times that VA is issuing automatic rating for Gulf War vets with stomach issues starting Aug 15.. I didn't grasp the article can anyone simplify it for a forgetful mind like mine.
J


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My claim and your advice please ...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:26 am 
Offline
Good Soldiers Never Die
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:36 pm
Posts: 1009
Location: North Carolina
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.
It's one of the "presumptives". Check it out:

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposure ... llness.asp

_________________
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My claim and your advice please ...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:42 pm 
Offline
Senior Vet

Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:53 pm
Posts: 418
Location: ky,
Your Gulf War Unit: 72nd. ENGR. CO. 197TH INF. BDE. 24TH INF
hi all.....been awhile, i know.been dealing with alot of stuff lately.still no word on claim... :roll: .between trying 2 work, home stress an all. i haven"t felt up 2 even logging on 2 the site.
my memory is getting bad now, i have 2 write stuff down in a notebook if i wanna remember it. kinda starting 2 get discusted about it all.had a lil inceodent at the local walmart, but wife was there 2 stop me. good thing, feller behind counter might have got hurt.
anyway, this is all i feel like writing, everybody take care of yours an your own.

_________________
72nd. ENGR. CO.
197th. INF. BDE(m)(s)
24th. INF.DIV
18th AIRBORNE CORPS
SAPPERS FORWARD!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My claim and your advice please ...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:38 pm 
Offline
Soldier
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:13 am
Posts: 55
Your Gulf War Unit: 1st ID, 3rd AD, 181st Chem Co, 84th Chem, 46th Chem.
Haze,
Glad that you are hanging in there. I too am just sorta playing the waiting game. My initial claim was denied based on that bad C&P Exam that I had and no other diagnosis of PTSD at that time. No big deal I guess. I will not let it get me like I did before.

I have since took head of all advice I have received from here and other sites and have been diagnosed with PTSD at the Vet Center and also found that my existing Psychiatrist was actually treating me for Anxiety and PTSD Symptoms for over a year now. I learned that through my records request and reviewing his treatment notes. I guess the Raters didn't access any current treatment records like I thought they would.

I did have my prostate cancer surgery on the 9th of this month (August) and am now in the healing mode. I am waiting to get the results back from the lymph nodes that they removed at the same time because they saw some growth. Hopefully they will be clean and the cancer didn't spread too far.

Something to think about though. I was only 44 years old with prostate cancer. I wonder just how many younger Desert Storm/Desert Shield Vets out there have also been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. 44 yo is actually a young age to have it.

_________________
.


Image
Veterans helping Veterans
C&P Database
Veterans Voice Server


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron