Desert-Storm.com Community Forums

Community for Discussing the Gulf War.

A portion of any sale supports this site.

It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: My claim and your advice please ...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:25 pm 
Soldier

Your Gulf War Unit: 1st ID, 3rd AD, 181st Chem Co, 84th Chem, 46th Chem.
jmartinez wrote:
redfish wrote:
Whats it for? Its just a C&P right?

I'm not sure, it is stating that the exam is to determine the current level of my disability.

But what is it for? A mental condition, i.e PTSD, Depression, Anxiety.. A physical condition i.e. IHD, Cancer, Arthritis, Messed up shoulder...etc.....

Veterans helping Veterans
C&P Database
Veterans Voice Server

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:26 pm 
Recruit

Your Gulf War Unit: HHC 1st Engineers 1st Infantry
wdroberson wrote:
jmartinez wrote:
redfish wrote:
Whats it for? Its just a C&P right?

I'm not sure, it is stating that the exam is to determine the current level of my disability.

But what is it for? A mental condition, i.e PTSD, Depression, Anxiety.. A physical condition i.e. IHD, Cancer, Arthritis, Messed up shoulder...etc.....

It is for PTSD, and other mental conditions associated with PTSD.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:53 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.
I've had 3 of those. Best thing I can tell ya is to be honest and leave your pride and your ego at the door. Don't hold nuthin' back. Some guys I've talked to have actually made lists of symptoms so they would remember but, to me, I felt like that made it look rehearsed. Honesty bro. That's all there is to it. My anxiety levels were through the roof. Most guys I've talked to were the same way. Hang in there bro. It'll be over soon

197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:01 pm 
Soldier

redfish wrote:
Best thing I can tell ya is to be honest and leave your pride and your ego at the door. Don't hold nuthin' back.

I couldn't agree more Redfish. My pride has helped in adding time to my claim also. I was to ashamed and considered myself weak. I'm not weak ..... Just slightly damaged! :)

Good luck and my hopes for a successful C&P exam Martinez.

C&P Database
Veterans Voice Server

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:13 pm 
Soldier

Martinez,
How has your claim been moving along for you? Have you received a copy of the C&P exam results yet? I hope it is good news for you.

I went back to the beginning of this thread, over a year ago, and read back through everything. I am amazed at how naive I was back then when I initially filed and how much I have learned since then.

There should one extra requirement added to the VA Claims process. Prior to filing a person should have to spend a mandatory minimum of a week reading through all valuable information available on sites such as this one and others that have claims information available. I think that if I had then instead of the initial denial it would have been much more favorable outcome and no need for reconsideration or appeal.

C&P Database
Veterans Voice Server

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:42 pm 
Recruit

Your Gulf War Unit: HHC 1st Engineers 1st Infantry
wdroberson wrote:
Martinez,
How has your claim been moving along for you? Have you received a copy of the C&P exam results yet? I hope it is good news for you.

I went back to the beginning of this thread, over a year ago, and read back through everything. I am amazed at how naive I was back then when I initially filed and how much I have learned since then.

There should one extra requirement added to the VA Claims process. Prior to filing a person should have to spend a mandatory minimum of a week reading through all valuable information available on sites such as this one and others that have claims information available. I think that if I had then instead of the initial denial it would have been much more favorable outcome and no need for reconsideration or appeal.

wdroberson
I have not received any copies of any medical exams, I did have a QTC evaluation on 10-21-11 but no copies of that either. The Dr. who did the QTC mentioned as she introduce herself to me that the evalution would take at least the most 30 minutes but it really lasted an hour and half. I had a lot to say and talk about. I hope to get a fair rating but will not be surprise if I dont. Like you I was clueless when I filed three years ago for my back, head aches and rash. My PTSD is moving at a good pace. I was first seen in may for it, evaluated in early September and QTC last month. That has been the best pace for any of my claims so far.
Thank you for your insite
J

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:05 am 
Senior Vet

Your Gulf War Unit: 72nd. ENGR. CO. 197TH INF. BDE. 24TH INF
well i went 2 mailbox on the 24th.merry xmas from the va. they finally gave me a rating...30% for ptsd....denied the rest of my claims, since nothing was in my service med records. i figured it be a low rating 1st. time tryin, so gonna appeal it, after i gather more stuff. gonnna start seeing a shrink, get more statements, plus i've remembered some more stuff....
least im rated now, but gonna keep up the fight....workin still don't help my claim, but gotts work 2 support family, i just eat more meds now 2 get through day.

18th AIRBORNE CORPS
SAPPERS FORWARD!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:20 am 
Soldier

haze wrote:
well i went 2 mailbox on the 24th.merry xmas from the va. they finally gave me a rating...30% for ptsd....denied the rest of my claims, since nothing was in my service med records. i figured it be a low rating 1st. time tryin, so gonna appeal it, after i gather more stuff. gonnna start seeing a shrink, get more statements, plus i've remembered some more stuff....
least im rated now, but gonna keep up the fight....workin still don't help my claim, but gotts work 2 support family, i just eat more meds now 2 get through day.

Wow! What timing! Congratulation's Haze. I'm sure that made Christmas just a little better for you. Good luck on the rest of the claims and don't give up. I know I sometimes feel like throwing in the towel.

I noticed the reconsideration of my claim went from "Claim Received" all the way to "Preparing to mail out the decision" and "Administrative Review" ... What ever that could mean.... Never stopped anywhere else in between on eBenefits. Some may have noticed they have 8 phases now versus the three I think they had before.

Anyway Congratulations and good luck on the remaining conditions.

C&P Database
Veterans Voice Server

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:18 am 
Senior Vet

thks, think the va/gov just stalls you hoping that u'll give up an take what they offer u. everybody was shocked to learn it was only 30%, it'll prob come down to gettin a lawyer an a hearing before its over with.
what really gets me is i put in 10 different items, that i filed on. on had 2 c&p's ,couldn't get them 2 give me any other c&p's. wtf? ...sorry, about that.
now how they rate you if they never checked you out?..... :roll:
have a safe an happy new year

18th AIRBORNE CORPS
SAPPERS FORWARD!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:21 am 
Senior Vet

oh....do you go through the american legion,dav, vfw? in filing your claim? if so, get ahold of their state advote, an ask them to check it out. also write a congressman/ senator, thats what i did

18th AIRBORNE CORPS
SAPPERS FORWARD!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:02 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.
Stay after them. It takes a hell of 'a long time. Apply for SSDI if you can no longer work because of your back and the meds. But of course for that too you can't be working. But SSDI only takes about a month or so. Good to see ya back in the AO

197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:28 am 
Soldier

haze wrote:
oh....do you go through the american legion,dav, vfw? in filing your claim? if so, get ahold of their state advote, an ask them to check it out. also write a congressman/ senator, thats what i did

I filed my initial claim back in 08/2010 through the State Rep behind the VA clinic I go to. Actually this thread was started by me just before I first received a copy of my bogus C&P examination by QTC Med. I knew nothing of rep's at that time and didn't even know that the guy was my rep. You guys told me that I think. I have also had my meds adjusted numerous times and I think the cocktail is about right now that I am doing much better as far as not living my life around this claim. I did create this web site below more as a hobby than anything else but it has been somewhat therapeutic being able to vent on that site since there are so few that read it.

I have learned allot since back then and really have very little contact with that State Rep. He and I just never clicked and as hard as I have tried to build better rapport with him it never seems to work. I met someone very knowledgeable in psychiatric issues and the VA process and he has been my point man on advice on how to handle all this BS and how to counter that BS C&P Exam.

I noticed today that another one of my eBenefits claims went to closed but there is no letter in the verification area. But now there is a "Dependency" claim listed up top along with two other things. I am starting to think that the Administrative Review portion that closed was to see if I could be paid back to 08/2010 based on the new and material evidence I submitted. They probably decided no and are still working on resolving the issues based on the date that I requested Reconsideration......which means that I would lose allot of money if they do in fact grant an award.

It is all hard to understand really... There is really no telling what in the hell the VA is up to. lol

But I find it extremely hard to believe they can deny my PTSD claim now when I have a Vet Center LCSW diagnosis stating that I have PTSD and Alcohol Abuse was secondary and I have my VA psychiatrist diagnosis of PTSD with MDD secondary and history of Alcohol Abuse in remission since 2004 third.. Along with a narrative like this in my treatment notes:

"LOCAL PACT MENTAL HEALTH NOTES
He is better able to focus today on significant emotional changes following his
combat exposure in Iraq. This has been difficult for him in the past, relevant
to his difficulty discussing deeper emotional issues, his obsessive anxiety and
at times denial of symptoms eg: see my note of jun 08,11. As a result of combat
exposure, he has experienced hypervigilence, withdrawal, alcohol abuse,
avoidance behaviors, depression, insomnia. Wife has described him as dramatically changed post Iraq, not the caring person he once was. He is currently verbal, cooperative, anxious, depressed, denies si. He is s/p prostate ca surgery. No evidence of thought disorder.

imp: ptsd
depressive disorder nos
obsessive compulsive anxiety disorder
alcohol abuse by hx, in remission
"

If that doesn't trump that bogus C&P by QTC Medical then I give up!!!! not really but I will be smashed... Might start drinking again.

C&P Database
Veterans Voice Server

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:22 am 
Soldier

Your Gulf War Unit: Eagle Troop 3ACR
congrats haze. I got great news for new years as well. After numerous appeals on my PTSD rating of 60%. It finally went to washington for final appeal and I was worried that I had no new information to put in my appeal file and feared it would be turned down. Then got my approval letter from Social Security Disability and got approved! I then requested a copy of that exam and forwarded it to use against the VA. I am hoping that the independent evaluation from ss disability will push me to 100 percent with the VA as well. I also highlighted the statement in the exam that in the dr.'s opinion a lot of the physical problems I was turned down for like chronic pain and gerd etc was very likely a direct result of ptsd and depression. The new year is looking up, but not quite there yet. not too hopefull that my appeal will make it to the top of the stack this year, but as long as its in there the backpay meter is clicking. plus it gives me grounds to reopen all the other claims that were turned down. well worth the pro bono lawers fees.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
- J o h n S t e w a r t M i l l

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:20 am 
Soldier

Congrat's SgtJake on your good new years news!

C&P Database
Veterans Voice Server

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:59 pm 
Soldier

Your Gulf War Unit: Eagle Troop 3ACR
thanks. Hey I was in 3AD once back in the day.... 3/12 cav I think they have long since disbanned and there was a helicopter outfit there for a while, but I dont know if they are even there anymore. getting old I guess! haha

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
- J o h n S t e w a r t M i l l

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next