Desert-Storm.com Community Forums

Community for Discussing the Gulf War.

A portion of any sale supports this site.

It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: My claim and your advice please ...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:18 pm 
Soldier

Your Gulf War Unit: 1st ID, 3rd AD, 181st Chem Co, 84th Chem, 46th Chem.
sgt Jake wrote:
thanks. Hey I was in 3AD once back in the day....

I was only attached to the 3rd AD during the ground war.....Also The Big Red One....changed up mid stream....I was authorized to wear both combat patches....I just happened to throw this one up here for an avatar. Looks much better than I do! :lol:

Veterans helping Veterans
C&P Database
Veterans Voice Server

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:32 am 
Recruit

Your Gulf War Unit: HHC 1st Engineers 1st Infantry
Hello Fellas
Can anyone clarify or answer my question. I was told by my VSO that I would get answer or rating with in two months of my QTC appointment. Well its been longer than that, is there any truth to this. Please someone help.
j

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:03 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.
No truth. Sorry. Your VSO really has no control over it and shame on that person for giving you false hope. I had a C&P for my increase claim in Jan. 2011. 5 months later, they scheduled me another C&P for the same damn thing at another facility. 3 months after that I got my award letter.

There ain't no time frame. Everybody's claim is different. Just sit and wait. It's a real bitch. The only thing I would say is, it could be any day. Good luck bro.

197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:28 pm 
Recruit

Your Gulf War Unit: usns mercy
hi giuys. i am lucky because i do have a non service connected claim so that may be a place to start to at least get some income. however when i mentioned gulf war illness to my vet service officer he told me it would be a cold day in hell so now i am going to the vfw for claim help. i was denied once but it is so hard to prove service cinnecin because some issue didntget bad til bout 5 yrs ago. all i can sau is find out all ucan t library aan onlineand dont give up!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:01 pm 
Soldier

graphxdave wrote:
hi giuys. i am lucky because i do have a non service connected claim so that may be a place to start to at least get some income. however when i mentioned gulf war illness to my vet service officer he told me it would be a cold day in hell so now i am going to the vfw for claim help. i was denied once but it is so hard to prove service cinnecin because some issue didntget bad til bout 5 yrs ago. all i can sau is find out all ucan t library aan onlineand dont give up!!

I think you meant that you have a service connected claim..... right?

On the Gulf War Illness part.... What exactly would you be claiming? Diagnosed? Un-diagnosed? Although they made changes to what is presumptive and extended the deadline fro 5 more years unless you have a history of trying to get care for some illness and either (a). There is not a clear dignosis or (b). You have a diagnosis of one of the presumptive s such as CFS or Fibromyalgia , etc...

C&P Database
Veterans Voice Server

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:18 pm 
Soldier

Well it has taken me this much time, since I first made this post back in Nov 2010, to get another C&P exam .... one for PTSD and one for my left shoulder. I had the C&P's at the VAMC of my choice, the one that I go to for all my medical operations, etc... , and I think they went very well. 19 months for alternate exams....wow!

I look forward to requesting copies on Monday and with the track record of the VAMC being very quick in returning my request's I should have them by weeks end next week if not early in the week after that.

I have no reason to think that this Psychiatrist disagreed with my treating Psychiatrist so I do not think they will differ much in diagnosis from what he says:

Axis I: PTSD (Combat Related)
Major Depression (history of suicidal ideation)
Obsessive Compulsive Anxiety Disorder with Panic Attacks
Alcohol abuse by history in remission since 2004
Axis II:
Axis III: HTN, Hypercholesterolemia
Axis IV: Financial Stress

Symptoms are severe and chronic and he is felt to be totally and permanently disabled for employment. Veteran has been followed by undersigned since xx/xx/xxxx at the xxxxxxx Clinic.

Maybe soon the light at the end of the tunnel will become brighter.

C&P Database
Veterans Voice Server

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:46 pm 
Recruit

Your Gulf War Unit: usns mercy
hi, i hope i can help, i dont claim too be an expert but i can share my exp. i went to my local veterans service officer and he got me a non service connected pension because i am too disabled too work with all the gulf war illness symptoms. about 20 or so and aboiut the same amt of meds. if u are unable to work u may want to pursue this first then go f the serviceconction later. however from what im learning its an uphill battle and u have to have medial evidence n yoir records that yoi had these servic nnected claim within 2 years after discharge. when i got ou in 96 i had issues but ad a fam to feand most of my issus it worsen til about 5 yrs ago. all i can ay shag im there

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:05 pm 
Soldier

Thanks Dave for that advice. I can't qualify for that I am sure since my Wife works and our means would be slightly higher I think.

C&P Database
Veterans Voice Server

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:26 pm 
Soldier

Well I started this claim about 22 months ago and this thread quite a ways back....over a year I think.. and I was really pissed off at the way the QTC C&P examiner treated me. I have fought the good fight and it looks as though I was rated 80% total yesterday according to the AB8 letter and amount due each month.

What a stressful ride this has been. But the other VAMC C&P examiners I had were strictly business and told it like it was.....That is all I wanted was a fair shake and I got it from them. There was not one single fabricated and biased bit of info in either of those reports.

C&P Database
Veterans Voice Server

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:10 pm 
Vet

Your Gulf War Unit: 24th INF 197th 72 Engineers/18th Airborne Corps
Went back read your story , congratulations on your fight to receive what was yours in the beginning ,seemed like a long road for ya brother the unit i was assigned to was to be able to deploy in 72 hours for battle but it takes more than a year for someone to read and confirm a sickness for ptsd and other d/s illnesses and most of the time longer all the while a man has to suffer and put up what little fight is left in him but you proved we are trained not to give up and now you can start concentrating on living life and the fight for a better health ,good luck and again congratulations!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:28 pm 
Soldier

I have since applied for SSDI by advice of my treating Psychiatrist and was approved the first go around. I am heading down to finalize everything with the SSDI lady in just a few minutes.

I still have a request in for TDIU but I am sure that will be another year before they decide that but the SSDI benefits approval will go along way to helping in that regard I believe. They said I required a fiduciary though and that stings really bad. The VA is cool with me handling my own affairs but the SS folks see otherwise. Luckily I have a wife of over twenty years that can be my fiduciary and maybe if I talk sweet to her she will give me an allowance! lol

I don't know if there will be any back pay on the SSDI but I stopped working and claimed June of 2010 as my date of disability. Just have to wait and see.

A lesson to all is just never give up if you have the medical evidence and you are not faking and really do suffer from any Service Connected Conditions. The Psychologist / Psychiatrist's will weed you out if your making up crap. Stand your ground, make your deadlines, and be your own advocate. No one cares about your claim more than you do.

C&P Database
Veterans Voice Server