VA Care and Activity

Post your experiences dealing with the VA Disability Filing Process for GWS, issues with VA diagnoses, and so on.
lmsnh
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 400th MP BN, 800th MP Bde

Re: VA Care and Activity

Post by lmsnh » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:30 am

Good luck! Oh, and when you have your MRI done fill out an ROI to get a copy of the results for your records and so you can read what the Radiologist actually read and reported on, rather than waiting for the VA to just tell you a yes or no.
Little Sis,

SFC Lynn M. Santosuosso
U.S. Army
VFW Post 1772
Desert Shield/Storm 1990-1991,
400th MP BN, 800th MP Bde

Ft Dix, NJ BCT, 1980
Lowry AFB Denver, CO, 1981
Ft Benning, GA, 1983
Ft Devens, MA, 1985
Ft Meade, MD, 1990
76th Div, USAR. 1992-1997
xrammyx
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 1st Armored Division HHB 6/3 ADA

Post by xrammyx » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:00 pm

wow, here i was sitting watching some TV and get a call about 1900hrs and it was a private number i was like who could be calling this late besides family,
Well it was the VA service out of Houston who are now contracted to take on the case load from the Waco office to set up appointments to see the docs for a C&P, i was shocked. They told me that I would have an appointment letter next week to do the C&P. of course they had the wrong address, which ticked me off, cause I called the VA in Waco and Cleveland that my address had changed which shocks me cause I guess all the records are not up to date dammit...at least I was able to give her the right address and get this done. They did give me a number to call back if I any questions so that's cool and its not a VA number that everyone calls which is cool, but for now its in the books and I will be getting my C&P soon...
HHB 6/3 ADA
Schwabach, Germany
Desert Shield/Storm
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.

Post by redfish » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:50 pm

Great news bro!
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
xrammyx
Vet

Post by xrammyx » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:21 pm

Thanks!
HHB 6/3 ADA
Schwabach, Germany
Desert Shield/Storm
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:21 am

I'm trying to gather documentation to turn in for my next round.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
xrammyx
Vet

Post by xrammyx » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:22 am

redfish wrote:I'm trying to gather documentation to turn in for my next round.

Good Luck hope you don't have to get to much information and you get what you want...
HHB 6/3 ADA
Schwabach, Germany
Desert Shield/Storm
lmsnh
Vet

Post by lmsnh » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:36 am

I am enroute to Boston to see the neurologist as I write, obviously I am not driving. I have a C&P exam and PFT test to see how my lungs are holding up. Then Monday I have my psych exam.
Little Sis,

SFC Lynn M. Santosuosso
U.S. Army
VFW Post 1772

Ft Dix, NJ BCT, 1980
Ft Benning, GA, 1983
Ft Devens, MA, 1985
Ft Meade, MD, 1990
xrammyx
Vet

Post by xrammyx » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:39 am

lmsnh wrote:I am enroute to Boston to see the neurologist as I write, obviously I am not driving. I have a C&P exam and PFT test to see how my lungs are holding up. Then Monday I have my psych exam.
hope all things work out..
HHB 6/3 ADA
Schwabach, Germany
Desert Shield/Storm
delta197wife
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by delta197wife » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:46 am

I am praying for good news for all!!

God Bless you!!
delta197wife
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:49 am

Thanx DW. I gotta mess o' shtuff to collect.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
lmsnh
Vet

Post by lmsnh » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:35 pm

Where do I begin....

Went to Boston last Thursday and the Neurologist didn't have any explanation for the pain, numbness and tingling in my arms. He said that there were other labs that should have been done first, like muscle enzymes and blood tests. Then he set up another Neuro-phsych exam.

Friday I had my PFT, in Manchestr, NH, for my respiratory issues and a medical exam. Fortunately my lungs were really crappy on Friday, probably from being in the city on Thursday. I say fortunately because usually when I go there my lungs are doing fairly well and have minimal asthmatic effects. The medical exam went well also and the doctor was really nice.

The Psych exam yesterday sucked, only because I hate to talk about the stuff that happened over there but I had to suck it up and tell all I could for the exam. I fell apart....damn I hate crying.
The doc said I definately have all the signs and symptoms of PTSD and that he was going to put everthing in his report. It is now up to the rating board to put a number on everything.

Now comes the waiting but I am very hopeful about these exams. I will keep you all posted.
Little Sis,

SFC Lynn M. Santosuosso
U.S. Army
VFW Post 1772

Ft Dix, NJ BCT, 1980
Ft Benning, GA, 1983
Ft Devens, MA, 1985
Ft Meade, MD, 1990
xrammyx
Vet

Post by xrammyx » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:49 pm

lmsnh wrote:Where do I begin....

Went to Boston last Thursday and the Neurologist didn't have any explanation for the pain, numbness and tingling in my arms. He said that there were other labs that should have been done first, like muscle enzymes and blood tests. Then he set up another Neuro-phsych exam.

Friday I had my PFT, in Manchestr, NH, for my respiratory issues and a medical exam. Fortunately my lungs were really crappy on Friday, probably from being in the city on Thursday. I say fortunately because usually when I go there my lungs are doing fairly well and have minimal asthmatic effects. The medical exam went well also and the doctor was really nice.

The Psych exam yesterday sucked, only because I hate to talk about the stuff that happened over there but I had to suck it up and tell all I could for the exam. I fell apart....damn I hate crying.
The doc said I definately have all the signs and symptoms of PTSD and that he was going to put everthing in his report. It is now up to the rating board to put a number on everything.

Now comes the waiting but I am very hopeful about these exams. I will keep you all posted.

I hate crying too, but I do when asked about stuff from over there...

Glad things went well, hope the board gets to you soon...good luck
HHB 6/3 ADA
Schwabach, Germany
Desert Shield/Storm
xrammyx
Vet

Post by xrammyx » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:58 pm

Well, I am finally getting things settled here in Cincy, after many phone calls and going to see the docs here, I think this place is way better than what I had in Dallas, Texas, very weird as I have said in other post...

I went to my first group yesterday, it was an intake to see where I would fit in a group setting or individual therapy, I said either way, its been 20 years and no one has figured out how to help, I am at the point where I say fuck it, I want to at least understand some of the stuff I am going through and my wife also...

The lady that was doing our intake seem to know what she was talking about and had some knowledge of what we are going through since her husband was a Vietnam Vet and killed himself due to PTSD... So finally at least I am dealing with someone that's know what the hell is going, after 20 fucking years of this shit, they are making way or finding ways to find out what needs to be done and what they need to do too help us all...

I am still really freaked out that I am getting better service here in Cincy than I have ever had in the VA system, maybe the tide is turning for us, even though there is a backlog maybe they are understanding they need to help us period...

Oh OH OH, I did find out that not all veterans know about the new law concerning PTSD claims, as I was in my intake there was a young guy who just got out of the Marines and had been diagnosed with PTSD, but I guess some places are still telling soldiers that they need to come up with proof for the claim or actual dates(which i think they still need to get, but not sure, I can't remember), but I at least told them the guidelines have change and really need to go back to whoever said that and get that straighten out...

So all in all I am doing better, wish it was much better, but I guess that will never be....thanks for listening all, have a great day...
HHB 6/3 ADA
Schwabach, Germany
Desert Shield/Storm
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:11 pm

The guidelines changed really recently like July this year so they may be before that. But, they are fresh out so they can probably remember better than us ol' folks. xrammyx, I squall like a baby 'bout every time I go cuz I know I gotta talk about some stuff. I loved group. Get what ya can from it. Glad it's better there. Luck
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
xrammyx
Vet

Post by xrammyx » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:32 pm

redfish wrote:The guidelines changed really recently like July this year so they may be before that. But, they are fresh out so they can probably remember better than us ol' folks. xrammyx, I squall like a baby 'bout every time I go cuz I know I gotta talk about some stuff. I loved group. Get what ya can from it. Glad it's better there. Luck
Thanks so much for the response, I was glad that I could at least help that young kid, because I know I was in his same shoes when I first got out and got no help whatsoever and at least I can be some what of a advocate for him that he needs to go back and have relook at his paperwork to make sure he's on the right path...

I will see what I get out of group since its my first, like you said I hope I like it and can get a lot to help me and help with my family, hehehe

oh BTW my name is Frank if you feel more comfortable calling me that, they called me ramrod while I was in Germany in Schwabach so I skimmed it a little and use rammy a lot for my radio shows...
HHB 6/3 ADA
Schwabach, Germany
Desert Shield/Storm