Health Issues

Post your experiences dealing with the VA Disability Filing Process for GWS, issues with VA diagnoses, and so on.
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Battalion (ATC), 58th Aviation

Re: Health Issues

Post by bilbo37 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:22 am

Well, I can tell you that your friend was right... Go to your local VA and get things going there.. You can always appeal any decision that is made at the VA... The problem is, is that you have a certain amount of time to file the appeal for it.. At least that is what I was told up here at the VA that I go to..

See if there is a local group that can help you out.. Either through the VFW or American Legion in your area. What ever you do, do not give up on this....
smokypin
Recruit

Gulf War Vet Needs Help.

Post by smokypin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:02 pm

Well, today I took the first step to re-apply for disability. I called the local VA office and I spent 30 minuted to update my records. The next step is that I will be set up with a primary care doctor ( I don't kow if that is good or bad). I will let you all know what happens after my doctor appointment.
smokypin
Recruit

Post by smokypin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:58 pm

I just want the medical benefits, that's a big priority to me.
Last edited by smokypin on Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by bilbo37 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:48 am

II. Eligibility
You may be entitled to VA disability compensation for any medical condition or injury that was incurred in or aggravated by your military service if you were released from active military duty with an other than dishonorable discharge. There is no time limit to apply for VA disability compensation. However, you are encouraged to apply within one year of your release from active duty as entitlement is established retroactively to the date of separation if your claim is filed within this period. The effective date of eligibility for benefits will be based upon the date of your claim if you apply beyond the one-year period.
This is for starting your first claim..... I do believe that there is a 1 year period that you have to ask to have your decision letter appealed.. I will see if I can find anything in writing and post it here..
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by bilbo37 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:13 am

Ok here is a link to a pdf format that states a lot of information...

Claims and Appeals

It does state that you have One calendar year from that date of decision to make an appeal...
proudbrit
Recruit

Post by proudbrit » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:43 pm

I have always been healthy but suddenly 14 months ago I couldn't move, Couldn't get out of bed, get out of a chair, climb stairs and many other things. I was diagnosed with Polymyositis, a very rare disease. After doing a lot of research I noticed that the symptoms were so similar to what others hae been experiencing that I requested an evaluation at the VA Hosp. I finally got in 11 months later, right now my case is under review. They are saying that desert Storm illnesses have not been diagnosed and mine has. I explained that very very few Dr's know of this disease, cause unknown, and it is just possible that it could be diagnosed if they look at my case. It is still under investigation at this time.
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by bilbo37 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:28 pm

Keep going with it though.. It may help people down the line....
smokypin
Recruit

Re: Health Issues + service connected claim

Post by smokypin » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:47 pm

I want to file a claim for back pain. I went on sick call for my back, and I have a copy of the profile. When I ETSed the doctor wrote on my physical exam that my back hurts. So, even if I went on sick call for my back one time and it is stated on my physical exam, would that be proof that it is a service connected claim?
Last edited by smokypin on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die

Re: Health Issues + service connected claim

Post by bilbo37 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:12 pm

smokypin wrote:I want to file a claim for back pain. I never went on sick call for my back, but when I ETSed the doctor wrote on my physical exam that my back hurts. So, even if I never went on sick call for my back but it is stated on my physical exam, would that be proof that it is a service connected claim?
It may help you with your claim... If you had gone on sick call for it more than once would have been better... Did you see any civilian doctors at that time? If you did you could check those records and see if there was anything that was noted there...
FA1SGret
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery

Post by FA1SGret » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:36 pm

You can also use 'Lay Statements' to substantiate a claim ... statements from people who knew you or knew of your condition.
Desert Shield/Desert Storm/Cease Fire
3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
210th FA Bde
DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!
smokypin
Recruit

Post by smokypin » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:04 pm

How about if I told my co-workers that my back hurts?
FA1SGret
Lifer

Post by FA1SGret » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:09 am

When I submitted my claim, I was asked by my service officer if I had told anyone about my condition, if I had written any letters that mentioned my condition, or if anyone else knew about it.

I'm not really sure what the rules are concerning lay evidence, but I know you use it to substantiate your claim.

Service Officer ... best thing I can tell ya.
210th FA Bde
FIRE MISSION!
smokypin
Recruit

Post by smokypin » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:04 am

I know that I can get a letter from my co-worker, but on the other hand if I go tell everyone that my back hurts I am sure that I would not have my job much longer,right? I am sure that many people feel the same.
FA1SGret
Lifer

Post by FA1SGret » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:56 pm

Don't know what to tell you with that.
210th FA Bde
FIRE MISSION!
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:28 pm

smokypin wrote:I know that I can get a letter from my co-worker, but on the other hand if I go tell everyone that my back hurts I am sure that I would not have my job much longer,right? I am sure that many people feel the same.
They will want documentation or letters from people yo uwere stationed with, not recent fellow coworkers. You most likely won't have much luck with the back thing through the VA as far as getting a claim but you should be able to get some assistance through the VA anyway, just mention it to your VA doc and it will go into your record. You might end up with some copays but they and the meds are usually cheaper than through your covilian PCP.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton