Desert-Storm.com Community Forums

Community for Discussing the Gulf War.

A portion of any sale supports this site.

It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Review: Jarhead DVD
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:54 pm 
Vet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:34 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division
I work with an ex-marine who ragged on the movie nonstop talking about how there was no way a master Gunny would stop a sniper from taking his shot and so on. Keep in mind that this is a Marine who did not get to go over to D/S either and he only drove an Am-Trak when he was in. I reminded him that I was there as a 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division unit soldier also and that I was lucky enough to sit around waiting on orders I also hoped I would never get too. Sure I look back and wish I had gotten to see some action too. I think this marine was loooking for more of a "shoot em up, blow eveything in sight up and kill as many as you can" movie.

D/S was primarily an Air Force (bomb the $^!# out of the place) and Tank/Bradley (come in and clean the rest up) war in my opinion. Most of the dead Iraqi tanks, BMP's and so on that we came across were already empty when hit. Most of those guys didn't want to fight in the first place. He changed his tune a little bit after I shared some of the things I saw with him but he is still stuck on this "gunny not allowing the sniper to take his shot" thing.

I will be standing in my local Blockbuster at 10am to rent a copy when it comes out tomorrow.

(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:07 pm 
Vet

In concert with this review I understand Desert-Storm.com should be receiving some copies of the DVD to giveaway to our members! So be on the lookout for an update concerning this as I get more details!

Who else has seen this movie? Lets hear from you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:09 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Battalion (ATC), 58th Aviation
Haven't seen it as yet. I would like to though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:40 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

I watched it last night with my wife. She couldn't believe some of the things she heard or saw and of course asked me if was really like that each time and I told her it was that and more.

So many memories were brought back while watching Jarhead. I had some weird dreams last night because of it too. Wife said I made a lot of weird noises in my sleep (in fact that was a line directed at Swofford in the movie too). I don't remember most of my dreams last nite though...thank god.

I expected a bit more action but that expectation is based on what I experienced as being part of a tank-heavy mechanized brigade with the 1st Infantry Division. They did a very realistic job depicting the dead Iraqi's in the convoy of vehicles trying to run away...I saw a lot of that on the Road to Basrah (Highway of Death").

Now I wish someone would make a movie depicting the US Army doing its thing over there and make it like 4 hours long...they could do it based on the 1st Infantry Division and our capturing of Safwan Airfield and Col. Moreno's show of force in advising the Iraqis to leave Safwan.

(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

- General George Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:44 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

That would be a great idea but then it would be too intense for a lot of people. The longer the movie, the harder it is to stay with it.

If they should show all of the things that happened in a movie it might be too much for people to digest and understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:04 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 354th TFW
I'm going to rent it this weekend, how long is it, King Kong was 3 hrs. and it lost my interest after the first hr and a half.

434th ARW/LRS, Grissom ARB, IN. 2007-Present
OIF 506th ELRS, Kirkuk, Iraq Sept. '09-Jan. '10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:26 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

No Idea how long it is. Think I am going to go rent it though. I liked the Movie Article 99. That was a funny movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:56 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Did you ever see the movie All the kings men, wasn't that about Desert storm, it's been along time since I've seen it, it was kind of a weird movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:37 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

It was about DS but I never got a chance to see that one.

Gonna have to add it to my list of things to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:55 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

I rented it tonight and it was a great movie. I'd put it right up there with Full Metal Jacket as one of my favorites. I was in the Airforce So I like to see what it was like for other branches during D/S. My favoite part was when the Vietnam vet got on the bus at the end, but with this movie I had alot of favorite parts. I'd give it 2 thumbs up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:11 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

I will let you know as soon as I get the chance to see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:09 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

I was going to watch it again, but I went to the Drag races instead.
I had to have it back by 7pm, and the Las vegas race is on tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:29 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Three Kings was set in D/S but was more about a small squad finding and stealing Kuwaiti gold stolen by the Iraqis and saving a group of Kuwaitis, not much other than that.

Jarhead was about a small group of Marines and their experience...or lack of.

Courage Under Fire was about a female in D/S, her death and the medal of Honor she deserved.

Each movie seemed to touch on some "personal" experiences of a few instead of the larger picture. They were able to do what I suggest with Full Metal Jacket, Plattoon, and so on. A bigger story (can be done in 2 hours) could be told out a larger part of the war and still keep people interested. Spend 10 minutes introducing the characters (touch on the battalion or brigade or even the division just a bit), spend another 20 going over the "how it got to the point of becoming a war" then an hour going over different incidents (going through the breach, showing the trip across Kuwait and into Iraq and the small & quick battles along the way) the face to face Ultimatum Col. Moreno gave to the Iraqis to leave Safwan and end the movie with the Cease Fire negotiation on end of the Safwan Airfield runway. maybe close the film out (credits rolling) with the soldiers flying home and being welcomed.

You know a lot of people would watch it, see how good the 3 I listed up top did.

If I only knew what I know now, I'd have dropped a couple grand on a top end Digital Video Camera and a few hundred if not thousand on lots of media and video'd everything from the time I landed in Saudi until I walked into my barracks on Ft. Riley. Some editing and my video would be on IFC (Idependent Film Channel) and maybe right to video stores.

You know that Hind sight and the 20/20 thing!

-George Orwell

- General George Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:09 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

We didn't have the technology that they have today, remember how huge video recorders were then, they were shoulder held. I wish I would have set back and looked around a little more, I was 19 and couldn't wait to get the hell out of there, I kind of have forgotten about alot of things, luckily I took a few pictures. When I see a photos of KFIA I start remembering alot of things that I had forgotten totally. I'm glad I found these forums, because I never had anybody to talk about this stuff to.