"The Hurt Locker"

This forum will feature our reviews of books and films that anyone interested in Operation Desert Storm will want to read and see.
SaucyWench
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

"The Hurt Locker"

Post by SaucyWench » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:32 am

I thought it sucked. Has anyone else seen it?
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.

Re: "The Hurt Locker"

Post by redfish » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:32 am

Thought it looked a bit corney. My psych doc warned me not to watch it too.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:35 am

I saw it and have heard through some interviews that some of the EOD guys says its pretty close to what really goes on unlike Jarhead which depicted NOTHING like my time there.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton

haze
Senior Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 72nd. ENGR. CO. 197TH INF. BDE. 24TH INF

Post by haze » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:33 am

jarhead was a joke, it really just made me mad rhe way they done that movie....what a joke :evil:
72nd. ENGR. CO.
197th. INF. BDE(m)(s)
24th. INF.DIV
18th AIRBORNE CORPS
SAPPERS FORWARD!
Jetmech
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: C BTRY 4/5 FA Gun2

Post by Jetmech » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:14 pm

I did see this. I think it does a good job of telling the story of how f-ed up things in Iraq are. I also think it does a pretty good job of showing your basic civilian how stupid war is and that it is so underhanded that it will probably never be over. I understood how it portrays the 3 different types of soldiers we have fighting over there and I got that loud and clear;

Type 1- Your go get em, kill them all, I wanna do everything and be the hero. (Usually get self or type 2 hurt or killed).

Type 2- Scared of everything, wont make a decision on his own, wonders why he joined the army in the first place. (“This isn’t what it looked like on TV” type).

Type 3- Knows why he is there and will do what he needs to do to honor his duty and do his job. HATES every minute over there BUT, will not shy away from a fight and follows orders the best he can. (This is the guy whom I can relate to)

Yes it is a pretty graphic movie and will toss you, at times, back in the desert if you let yourself get sucked in. I remember toward the end of the movie when he was home and the cereal aisle looked a mile long, I TOTALLY could relate to that one. Transition from war to home life was unexplainable and I think they nailed it. I thought it was WAY better than "3 Kings" or any previous Iraq movie.