The XVIIIth Airborne in Desert Storm

This forum will feature our reviews of books and films that anyone interested in Operation Desert Storm will want to read and see.
5thFSEMSG
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

The XVIIIth Airborne in Desert Storm

Post by 5thFSEMSG » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:49 pm

Most books written about our war cover the 7th Corps. This books covers the contribution of those of us who fought on the western flank, the units of the XVIIIth Airborne Corps. It is written by COL Lane Toomey, who was working in the Corps G-3 at that time.

This is an excellent book. It covers all aspects of the war from start to finish, things we did right, and things we did wrong. It gave me a wider appreciation of what we did during those 100 hours. Naturally I remember best my tiny slice of the action, so it was refreshing to read about the nearby units and other Divisions within the XVIIIth Airborne Corps AO. The pictures in the book bring back many memories, not all of them fond by any means.

I strongly recommend this book for those who were assigned or attached to the XVIIIth Airborne Corps during the war, and those who want to complete their coverage of the war.
5th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital, 5th Forward Surgical Element, Fort Bragg NC, DS/DS Oct 90 to Apr 91

Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:52 pm

Have you read Richard Lowry's Gulf War Chronicles yet? He is a member here. Its a well written book and also gave me a better idea of what happened outside of my "tiny slice" as you put it.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton

5thFSEMSG
Vet

Post by 5thFSEMSG » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:10 pm

Not yet, but I'm adding to my list of books to read. I've read everything I can get my hands on dealing with our war. We seem to have become the NEW forgotten war. Used to be Korea, now it's the Gulf War.
5th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital, 5th Forward Surgical Element, Fort Bragg NC, DS/DS Oct 90 to Apr 91

Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.

Post by Redmaxx » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:08 am

5thFSEMSG wrote:We seem to have become the NEW forgotten war. Used to be Korea, now it's the Gulf War.
You hit the nail on the head there.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Operation Desert Shield/Storm/Cease Fire 1990/1991
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:51 am

I am starting to see more "Desert Storm Veteran" bumber and window stickers around. I plan to add one to my truck to go with my Big Red One and US ARMY VETERAN stickers I already have. they will complement my license plate frame that states Desert Storm Combat Veteran and my unit.

In case anyone is interested, they are nicely done.
http://www.usaircombat.com

This guy is a fellow DS veteran and fellow Floridian who makes plates to supplement his income.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton

5thFSEMSG
Vet

Post by 5thFSEMSG » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:41 pm

Well I got one of those License Plate frames for my Jeep. It says on top "Gulf War Veteran" and on bottom "5th M*A*S*H* - 5th FSE. My only disappointment was he couldn't do it in desert colors, just black and white. :cry: Otherwise it is great.