Desert-Storm.com Community Forums

Community for Discussing the Gulf War.

A portion of any sale supports this site.

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:19 am 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division
Jessica...and anyone else that doesn't understand why we are there,

FREEDOM at any cost is worth it.

The Iraqi citizens can't fight for their own freedom so we do it for them.

EVERYONE of us volunteered for the service, EVERYONE signed our names on the dotted line right below the text that basically stated you may go to war, you may die, and you may have your ETS date extended and so on and so on.

I agree we should have gone the extra few miles back in DS1...but we didn't. Saddam got another chance and he blew it too. His regime has been responsible for the thousands and thousands of deaths of innocent people...in fact these were his own Iraqi people. What kind of leader tortures and kills his own people? I am very surprised some pissed off Iraqi didn't take him out years ago.

In fact Saddam forced many of his soldiers to fight in Desert Storm by threatening to kill their families; once again, what kind of leader would terrorize his own people like that? The biggest reason the US and other coalition forces had such a high number of EPWs was because they didn't want to fight in the first place. I remember Iraqi soldiers waving their arms, waving white cloth, blowing kisses, seeing them hug each other because they had been "SAVED". I remember Iraqi soldiers with injuries, some life threatening, being helped by our medics, some even medivac'd out by our choppers. In fact at one point, my brigade commander Col. Moreno had an Iraqi General surrender to him.

In the end, we are there to offer Iraq a chance at freedom. Sure some people may claim we are forcing democracy on them but it really is for their own good. People hate change and Saddams way of ruling is all they have known for years and years. Some people need to be told how to live and they are used to it...we are trying to give them a chance to live for themselves.

Time to educate yourselves on world history, if your grandparents knew some of you didn't understand why we join the service, volunteer to protect our country and go off to distant lands to fight people for other people who we don't even know, they'd roll over in their graves.

(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:44 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 354th TFW
I'd go back in a heart beat, even though I have a family now. I've been thinking about going in to the Guard. I called both Airforce and Army, but they want me to go a mini basic training. They said it was 3 weeks, I don't know why the Airforce wants me to go back. The Army I understand, because I wasn't in the Army, they want me to go to warrier training. If they would let me just slide in I'd sign now.

I heard the recruitment was way down, if they would just relax the rules a bit they would probably get more people. Because I'm sure there are people like me saying, " I'm not going back to basic". Just a thought.

434th ARW/LRS, Grissom ARB, IN. 2007-Present
OIF 506th ELRS, Kirkuk, Iraq Sept. '09-Jan. '10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:54 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division
I'd go too and I also have a family now. They'd have a problem with some weight I put on since then but I'd lose it as soon as I got there. Hell, I lost 60 lbs in DS1, Top even made me eat extra MRE's each day to try to put the weight back on.

(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:55 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 354th TFW
I just got done chatting online with a Air national guard recruiter, somebody is supposed to be getting back with me. I've put on some weight but am within my limit, I'm 6'1 and 170. I want back in bad, my life is going nowhere, I'm tired of just living, sleeping working and repeat. That's why I want in the guard, to have something different once a month. But I don't want to go back to basic that is my only hold up, it's not that I couldn't do it again, but I do have to support a family and training would take to long.

434th ARW/LRS, Grissom ARB, IN. 2007-Present
OIF 506th ELRS, Kirkuk, Iraq Sept. '09-Jan. '10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:35 pm 
Good Soldiers Never Die

Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Battalion (ATC), 58th Aviation
Yes that would take a bit to go through. I am sure that they will try to make allowances where they can. Good luck to you.

http://www.gulfweb.org/
http://www.gratitudecampaign.org/fullmovie.php

Post subject: the war??
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:10 pm 
Recruit

My best friend in the world Michael is over there. And my opinions come from him! His thing is he doesn't think that the general public should have anything to say about it cause its not like they are over there gettin shot at everyday!!! And the protesters??? :evil: I wonder how many of us go to work everyday and have somebody protesting our jobs??? Not very many huh???? They are over there sleepin in the desert with bugs and nasty stuff...not to mention the hail of gunfire oh too often!!! I think the qestion shouldn't be about the war!! It should be how much do you respect and honor our men and women!!!!!!!!!!!!

But thats just my opinion...u don't have to agree...and I'm sure many people will dissagree with me...but thats how i think!!!

Post subject: What do I think of the War?
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:01 pm 
Recruit

I wish so many soldiers didn't have to die, that there would be peace and no more fighting. But the truth is our men are over there defending our Freedom. I wish it didn't have to be this way. I wish they all could come home and be with their families. Until then, be proud of them for they are much stronger than any of us sitting here expressing our opinions in a warm home and no bombs going off over our heads.

My brother-in-law will be going over in October...we all wish him a safe Journey and a quick return home.

Post subject: Sorry, but ...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:02 am 
Sorry to disturb your peacefull "save the world, bring the world democracy !" discussion, but I'ts so funny to read those bullshits about freedom and democracy, and Saddam killing his own people, why dont you care about CHINA killing its own people ? Why dont you go to SUDAN to stop killing THOSE innocent people ? Why dont you stop at East Timor to stop killing innocent people there ? Why did you provide Saddam weapons and CIA support, when he is so bad ? Maybe it is time for USA to start thinking about those damned arab arguments about USA atacking their world without any good reasons ! (well, oil is not good reason at all ...). And without this thinking, you will never by safe on your side of the ocean, even if your army is great and you have the almost perfect weapons ... because PEOPLE are the most perfect weapons, and by "bringing democracy" to countries, where they do NOT want to have democracy of USA type, you cause just anger and hatefulness. I always was a USA supporter and I always stand on your side, but when seeing that normal people believe in those Bush bullshits, its very confusing for me !

Post subject: Re: the war??
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:56 pm 
Recruit

~*ashley*~ wrote:
My best friend in the world Michael is over there. And my opinions come from him! His thing is he doesn't think that the general public should have anything to say about it cause its not like they are over there gettin shot at everyday!!! And the protesters??? :evil: I wonder how many of us go to work everyday and have somebody protesting our jobs??? Not very many huh???? They are over there sleepin in the desert with bugs and nasty stuff...not to mention the hail of gunfire oh too often!!! I think the qestion shouldn't be about the war!! It should be how much do you respect and honor our men and women!!!!!!!!!!!!

But thats just my opinion...u don't have to agree...and I'm sure many people will dissagree with me...but thats how i think!!!
THIS is a tipacal problem with some young soldiers, its called the "SUPERMAN" mentality. HITERS 3rd riche had this problem early in the war, blaming the civillian people for their war. we do have an opinion and it does count! 2 words..... VOL. ARMY. HE will grow out of this when he comes back to everyday american society and sees how much americans really cares about vets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:38 pm 
Lifer

Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
There are too many partial truths, opinions, and assumptions being thrown around in thread for me to comment on.

I will make one comment: The global war on terror started (right or wrong) in the aftermath of the 9-11. We should have the national courage and endurance to finish it.

The trouble is that political, economic, social, cultural, and religious forces are also playing into this, with each entity vying for a say in what 'should be' or 'could be'.

My one voice ... Recall ALL US forces back to US territory, Recall all US funding, call in ALL US debts owed the US, build a big damn wall on our border, and tell the rest of the world to 'have a nice day'.

DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:13 pm 
Recruit

FA1SGret wrote:
There are too many partial truths, opinions, and assumptions being thrown around in thread for me to comment on.

I will make one comment: The global war on terror started (right or wrong) in the aftermath of the 9-11. We should have the national courage and endurance to finish it.

The trouble is that political, economic, social, cultural, and religious forces are also playing into this, with each entity vying for a say in what 'should be' or 'could be'.

My one voice ... Recall ALL US forces back to US territory, Recall all US funding, call in ALL US debts owed the US, build a big damn wall on our border, and tell the rest of the world to 'have a nice day'.
my thoughts exactlly! "LET THEM EAT CAKE"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:02 pm 
Senior Vet

Your Gulf War Unit: 1087th Trans Co.
FA1SGret wrote:

you got that right... only problems would be our problems...

16th support group
4th Trans Batt.
1087 Trans Co.
Road Warrior
SSG Retired..... 1976-1997
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you.
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G.I.
"One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!"
Life Member VFW Post 9573

Post subject: Re: The war in Iraq
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:28 pm 
Vet

Jessica Ellis (15yrs old) wrote:
This war is :evil: . What is the jpoint. They have found no weapons of Mass destruction. Bush is a stupid a**. But I support the famiies of the
soldiers over there. I ALSO FEEL VERY BAD FOR THOE WHO HAVE LOST LOVED ONES. Because i have cousins over there :(
THIS IS ALL BUSH'S FAULT

Actually there were weapons of mass destruction found. Most of us from the Gulf War were exposed to them. I was exposed to Sarin, Cyclo-Sarin, and Mustard gas. So don't sit there, having never served your country, and spout off that kind of garbage about "no weapons of mass destruction" having been found. They were there, and they are there. Until every square inch of Iraqi soil is dug up to a depth of 20 feet they cannot state with any degree of certainty that there are no WMDs in Iraq.

If you are referring to recently, they found a brief case full of Sarin nerve gas about 2 years ago, enough to the wipe out your home town along with some of the neighboring towns. They have also found some artillary shells with cyclosarin in them. An Iraqi Air Force General testifies that he flew a great quantity of WMDs into Syria in a converted civilian jet. Just because the press says that there are no WMDs doesn't make it true. The press publishes what they want to publish and that is frequently very far from the facts.

The evil you refer to comes not from President Bush, rather it comes from ignorant people who make public statements based off of emotion rather than fact. Grow up fast Jessica, the real world isn't going to cut you any slack. Learn to differentiate between facts and what the press puts out, better known as fiction. Otherwise you are just an automaton, believing everything the press says, easily controlled and never thinking for yourself.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:45 pm 
Recruit

123 wrote:
I think that some are very very fanatic because if you call a liberation kill tens of a thousands of innocents and if you think the war is good its because that you are very fanatic. I think this is very coward of the United States to attack weakest. And its funniest that Iraqi win against the beast army in the world.

I'm going to bite my tongue on this one. But I will say this, "You are very uneducated my friend". I'm going to say a prayer for you.

Post subject: Re: What do you the people think of the war
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:20 pm 
Recruit

Everyone liked Bush when he responded to 9/11 but when times get tough for the sheltered they want to bail out and blame him. I believe were doing the right thing to keep our country safe but I have also thought that mabie we should pull back everyone and everything to the US, then well see who comes calling for help. To take it a step further if we opened our border to our neighbors to the south, they could all move to the US and be happy so we could stop dealing with that issue, then....QUICKLY all US citizens relocate south of that southern boarder and put up a wall everyones happy!!! I hate the cold weather. 8)

Hope I didnt offend anyone here.

5-INF