Desert-Storm.com Community Forums

Community for Discussing the Gulf War.

A portion of any sale supports this site.

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Off to the Sandbox
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:14 pm 
Vet

Well it's a bummer of a day. I put my son on a plane to fly him back to Ft. Drum. He is doing his second combat tour, the first one is in the 'Stan)

I know that he is a man now, a well trained, well quipped Soldier. But you know, I'd rather walk up that ramp myself than watch my son walk up that ramp. I feel alone in this issue. I did give my lucky knife, it's been all over the world. He gave to me when he was 12 years old when I got it on Christmas. Now it's full circle I hope it works for him as a good luck charm.

Post subject: Re: Off to the Sandbox
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:13 am 
Senior Vet

Your Gulf War Unit: HHC 43rd CSG / 1st Cav
I can only imagine , how You feel .
You'll both be in my thoughts and prayers .

Binge drinking college student 06/86-10/88
N.C.N.G. 07/86-10/88
Ft Carson CO 10/88-9/91
HQ AFNorth 10/91-11/93

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:05 am 
Senior Vet

Yes...and I would like to see this knife :P that might be cool.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:37 am 
Lifer

Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
Quote:
Well it's a bummer of a day. I put my son on a plane to fly him back to Ft. Drum. He is doing his second combat tour, the first one is in the 'Stan)

I know that he is a man now, a well trained, well quipped Soldier. But you know, I'd rather walk up that ramp myself than watch my son walk up that ramp. I feel alone in this issue. I did give my lucky knife, it's been all over the world. He gave to me when he was 12 years old when I got it on Christmas. Now it's full circle I hope it works for him as a good luck charm.

You are NOT alone ... Remember the pep talk you gave me a couple of weeks ago? :)

I know exactly how you feel. The whole time I was in the Army, I was the one getting on the plane, bus, truck, train, whatever and the family stayed behind. I always understood that they were waiting and worrying, but I never really felt it until my son joined the Army and deployed to the 'Stan. I felt absolutely helpless and worried constantly about the possibilities.

The upside ... he was one of the best supported soldiers in his unit ... I spared no expense in keeping him supplied with things he needed or just wanted. I even sent him an empty beer bottle that I drank for him on his 21st birthday.

Hang tough ... you gotta stay strong for him ... you gotta do what you need to do so he can do what he needs to do.

I know you know this, just thought it might be good to hear it again.

You just gotta love a soldier!

DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:02 pm 
Vet

Thanks guys, I appreciate all support. It's much easier being a Solider and heading off for combat than it is standing on the runway and waving good bye. At least these days we have Internet chat sites that allow us to talk almost daily, that helps.

I'll have to dig around and see if I can find a picture of the knife. It is in sheath I made that is, frankly, one of better pieces of leatherworking. Dyed deep Corodovan over golden undertones and a double loop lacing job to make the thing whole.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:55 pm 
Senior Vet

Your Gulf War Unit: 1087th Trans Co.
What type of unit is he with...is he in the medical field to... Will be keeping him in my prayers also...

16th support group
4th Trans Batt.
1087 Trans Co.
Road Warrior
SSG Retired..... 1976-1997
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you.
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G.I.
"One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!"
Life Member VFW Post 9573

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:18 am 
Vet

He is commo, 25P microwave communications repair and operations. He is in the Division main repair shop and should soon be the shop foreman.

Thany y'all for the prayers