Best hand gun for P.P.

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Battalion (ATC), 58th Aviation

Post by bilbo37 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:48 pm

Dagger X-Ray wrote:Unfortunately many of the views are from me deleting the SPAM posts that appear here every couple of hours. I sit at a computer all day so visit here regualrly to get rid of the crap so you all don't have to see it.
I deal with spammers, manage profiles, and deal with admin issues at another site..

It does take a bit of time.. But once you get the hang of it, it really aint too bad.. We have cut down the amount of spammers a lot..

It is not tolerated at all.. :D I enjoy it a bit too much, maybe...
rodneyw71
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 354th TFW

Post by rodneyw71 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:52 pm

If everybody had to register would that keep the spammers away?
Desert Storm, KFIA, Dec. '90- May '91
RAF Alconbury, UK. '90-'92
KI. Sawyer AFB, MI. '92
434th ARW/LRS, Grissom ARB, IN. 2007-Present
OIF 506th ELRS, Kirkuk, Iraq Sept. '09-Jan. '10
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by bilbo37 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:41 am

No, not really.. People can and do register with a fake email address, which they never plan on using anyway...

So they register, but can still be spammers... There are ways around that though..

But if eveyone had to register is would cut down on the Anonymous posters...

I could help out here but I don't have access to the admin panel...
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:06 am

I PM'ed Scott (Trouster) about some additional access so I could delete several thousand registered people who have never posted a single time. He has read my request but never replied to me on it and I understand, he doesn't know me and its his way of making sure his forum doesn't get taken over, I respect that and don't blame him either.
The large number of users I was referring to above are here for "link exchange" reasons that are used for search engine placement of the websites they have posted in their profiles.

Then there are the regular registered spammers who post here almost daily that I do manage to delete their posts before most of you ever see them, I would love to delete their usernames also.

Do what I can for now though.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by bilbo37 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Dagger X-Ray wrote:I PM'ed Scott (Trouster) about some additional access so I could delete several thousand registered people who have never posted a single time. He has read my request but never replied to me on it and I understand, he doesn't know me and its his way of making sure his forum doesn't get taken over, I respect that and don't blame him either.
The large number of users I was referring to above are here for "link exchange" reasons that are used for search engine placement of the websites they have posted in their profiles.

Then there are the regular registered spammers who post here almost daily that I do manage to delete their posts before most of you ever see them, I would love to delete their usernames also.

Oh, I understand completely.. It took quite awhile for me to move up to admin status on the other site. Some where along the way it would be a good idea for Scott to allow others to help out... I know that there is a lot to do to keep things running....
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:20 am

I'd love access to the whole site. I have some DS pics I'd love to add and maybe even make some improvements to the site itself (navigation and so on).
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by bilbo37 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:24 am

Yeah, there are a few things that could be done a little different... Maybe in time, maybe in time.
rodneyw71
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by rodneyw71 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:15 pm

Dagger X-Ray wrote:I PM'ed Scott (Trouster) about some additional access so I could delete several thousand registered people who have never posted a single time. He has read my request but never replied to me on it and I understand, he doesn't know me and its his way of making sure his forum doesn't get taken over, I respect that and don't blame him either.

I think your doing a hell of a job, I don't see spammers any more, every once in a while I see one, but you get to them very quickly.
KI. Sawyer AFB, MI. '92
SaucyWench
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

Post by SaucyWench » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:27 am

rodneyw71 wrote:If everybody had to register would that keep the spammers away?

There are other sites I use that require email validation in order to post. It seems like that would help considerably. Even just blocking guests from posting should help some.
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:36 am

But then people like you would not bother registering to make a post Danger, if you remember right, you posted as "Guest" your first 2-3 times because you weren't sure you wanted to participate yet.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
SaucyWench
Lifer

Post by SaucyWench » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:36 am

Dagger X-Ray wrote:But then people like you would not bother registering to make a post Danger, if you remember right, you posted as "Guest" your first 2-3 times because you weren't sure you wanted to participate yet.
:? I did, however, register, and I do subsequently post. If my first two posts are your justification for keeping the board open to every yahoo out there who are intent on simply spamming, please feel free to delete them as well. What's with the attitude?
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by bilbo37 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:09 am

It does take a bit to kep on top of things.. We have made it(at the other site) so that you have tot be registered to make any kind of a post.. Some people use bogus email addresses, but that can be found out easily.. Then they are removed...

:)
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:34 am

DangerForward121 wrote: What's with the attitude?
No attitude, sorry if my replay came off that way.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
SaucyWench
Lifer

Post by SaucyWench » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:28 pm

I just think that keeping the boards here tidy would be easier if posting were limited, that's all. If registration would have been required to post, I would have lurked, then registered if I did want to post. The garbage left on the site and the pages and pages of bogus member names is off putting so anyone browsing and considering joining. It's hard to take a site seriously when the garbage posts and members outnumber the serious ones.

Dagger, are you the designated "board Nazi"? Does the site owner frequent here at all or do much in maintaining it?

..... I must ad "board Nazi" was not meant as an insult. 8) Rather, just asking if you are the lucky one responsible for trash patrol.
rodneyw71
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by rodneyw71 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:48 pm

DangerForward121 wrote:I just think that keeping the boards here tidy would be easier if posting were limited, that's all. If registration would have been required to post, I would have lurked, then registered if I did want to post. The garbage left on the site and the pages and pages of bogus member names is off putting so anyone browsing and considering joining. It's hard to take a site seriously when the garbage posts and members outnumber the serious ones.

Dagger, are you the designated "board Nazi"? Does the site owner frequent here at all or do much in maintaining it?

..... I must ad "board Nazi" was not meant as an insult. 8) Rather, just asking if you are the lucky one responsible for trash patrol.
You mean I should stop posting so much B.S. :D
KI. Sawyer AFB, MI. '92