Port Mortuary Dover

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
Submech
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Port Mortuary Dover

Post by Submech » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:12 am

I am trying to find anyone that served at Dover AFB Port Mortuary during Desert Storm. Im going through some rough times with PTSD and I am wondering if anyone else is having troubles too. Thanks Tom
sumech

Post by sumech » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:38 pm

If any body knows anyone who was, is or ever been at Dover Port Mort. I would like to talk to them. Thanks Tom
Jointservice1991
Recruit

Re: Port Mortuary Dover

Post by Jointservice1991 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:54 am

Hello Tom,
I was at Dover Mortuary in 1991, a female US Navy Reservist. It was a Joint Service Command and I have often wondered what happened to those who served at this Duty Station for we were never aknowledged, nor did they do the 10 year follow-up study that I helped the psychologist complete before we left. I would really like to communicate with you, for I have information for you, so I hope you answer back.
Diana
jennko
Recruit

Post by jennko » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:33 pm

I worked at the Port Mortuary between 2004-2006 and I have been diagnosed with PTSD because of it. I tried to apply for VA compensation for it and was denied because they said I had never been in a combat zone... I still have nightmares to this day and it has been three years...
FA1SGret
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery

Post by FA1SGret » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:36 am

I tried to apply for VA compensation for it and was denied because they said I had never been in a combat zone
Appeal it! Get a service officer to help, and appeal the VA decision. If you meet the criteria, or aren't sure but want to be sure, contact the behavioral health folks, somewhere, VA or otherwise.

Here is the assessment protocol which should be used by any doctor when assessing the severity of PTSD. Get your doctor to use it, follow it, fill it out in its entirety. IF you can't get a doctor to do, the VA should do a compensation & pension exam (after you file a claim or appeal), and the VA doctor should follow this to the letter.

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/e ... sexm43.htm

My understanding of PTSD, is that the 'stressor' doesn't have to be combat, but has to meet the following criteria for the VA:

309.81 DSM-IV Criteria for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder

A. The person has been exposed to a traumatic event in which both of the following have been present:

(1) the person experienced, witnessed, or was confronted with an event or events that involved actual or threatened death or serious injury, or a threat to the physical integrity of self or others (2) the person's response involved intense fear, helplessness, or horror. Note: In children, this may be expressed instead by disorganized or agitated behavior.

B. The traumatic event is persistently reexperienced in one (or more) of the following ways:

(1) recurrent and intrusive distressing recollections of the event, including images, thoughts, or perceptions. Note: In young children, repetitive play may occur in which themes or aspects of the trauma are expressed.

(2) recurrent distressing dreams of the event. Note: In children, there may be frightening dreams without recognizable content.

(3) acting or feeling as if the traumatic event were recurring (includes a sense of reliving the experience, illusions, hallucinations, and dissociative flashback episodes, including those that occur upon awakening or when intoxicated). Note: In young children, trauma-specific reenactment may occur.

(4) intense psychological distress at exposure to internal or external cues that symbolize or resemble an aspect of the traumatic event.

(5) physiological reactivity on exposure to internal or external cues that symbolize or resemble an aspect of the traumatic event.

C. Persistent avoidance of stimuli associated with the trauma and numbing of general responsiveness (not present before the trauma), as indicated by three (or more) of the following:

(1) efforts to avoid thoughts, feelings, or conversations associated with the trauma

(2) efforts to avoid activities, places, or people that arouse recollections of the trauma

(3) inability to recall an important aspect of the trauma

(4) markedly diminished interest or participation in significant activities

(5) feeling of detachment or estrangement from others

(6) restricted range of affect (e.g., unable to have loving feelings)

(7) sense of a foreshortened future (e.g., does not expect to have a career, marriage, children, or a normal life span)

D. Persistent symptoms of increased arousal (not present before the trauma), as indicated by two (or more) of the following:

(1) difficulty falling or staying asleep
(2) irritability or outbursts of anger
(3) difficulty concentrating
(4) hypervigilance
(5) exaggerated startle response

E. Duration of the disturbance (symptoms in Criteria B, C, and D) is more than one month.

F. The disturbance causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

I wish you well.
Desert Shield/Desert Storm/Cease Fire
3rd Bn 17th Field Artillery
210th FA Bde
DS (OPCON) 3/2 ACR, GS 1 ID
FIRE MISSION!
Miguelc
Recruit

Post by Miguelc » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:31 am

Trying to find some into on this as well. I worked there right after 9/11. I was stationed there from 2000-04. Had to set up right after the plane hit the pentagon and worked there through OEF OIF. Have had plenty of sleepless nights and nightmares amongst other PTSD signs. Have had a VA compensation form filled but have not heard much about it. I go to the VA for Mental Health appointments for this and am being medicated by them. Now being that I had no combat experience is it true I will not be compensated? I wouldn't be filing for compensation if this did not affect me but it is. If any one has info on this could you please share or if you would like to talk about it cause I know it helps me write me and I will write you.

God Bless

Miguel
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.

Post by redfish » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:40 pm

PTSD is PTSD. Civilians get it, rape victims get it, car crashes, weather disasters. You got it while in service for our country you should be compensated same as the rest of us. Appeal it and get a rep at the DAV. Having been through what you have it's no wonder you have PTSD. I bet you have seen more than a lot of folks who were in desert storm so... welcome brother. I hope you get the care and compensation you deserve.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
FA1SGret
Lifer

Post by FA1SGret » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:32 pm

Damn redfish, well said ... well said indeed.
210th FA Bde
FIRE MISSION!
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:31 pm

Thnx top. I been listening to a few others on here. Present company included.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
FA1SGret
Lifer

Post by FA1SGret » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:41 pm

And what opinion would that be?
210th FA Bde
FIRE MISSION!
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:16 pm

:?:
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.

Post by Redmaxx » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:50 am

He is just a spammer.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Operation Desert Shield/Storm/Cease Fire 1990/1991
FA1SGret
Lifer

Post by FA1SGret » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:11 pm

Everytime I hear or see the word spam I think of Monty Python's ... spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam.
210th FA Bde
FIRE MISSION!
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:13 pm

:lol: You're the man top.

Nothing but a sandwich here but you know, I like fried spam.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
FA1SGret
Lifer

Post by FA1SGret » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:16 pm

spam spam spam spam