Vet's wife who needs help!!!!!!!!!!1

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
erinjeff_1

Vet's wife who needs help!!!!!!!!!!1

Post by erinjeff_1 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:02 am

My husband served in desert storm in the 24th infantry division of the Army. We have only been married for about 4 years so I wasn't there when he went through this. Now in 2005 he is suffering from horrible Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. I am doing lots of research but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. It is affecting his relationship with our kids and with us. I know he needs help right away and i don't know how to get it for him. His low days are really bad and his depression is starting to win. He also has some nerve damage I believe from the war. Please someone help if you can.
yellersgirl
Recruit

PTSD

Post by yellersgirl » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:17 am

Hello,
My fiance also suffers from depression, he has horrible nightmares also. I know that he will not talk to a counselor, but he is functioning in his daily life ok. My suggestion is to encourage him to seek counseling through the Veterans ADM. or through a private Dr., just be sure they have a reputation of success, a bad counselor can do more harm than good. Also, there are some really great drugs on the market for depression. Sometimes, just knowing that your not the only one, is a HUGE step in the right direction. Feelings of depression, guilt, aggitation, all those things associated with PTSD are very common in men who have served during war time. I hope that he will get some help, he's not alone, and you are not alone either.
Good Luck,
Kim
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Battalion (ATC), 58th Aviation

Post by bilbo37 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:39 pm

In response to your situation,

I am in the same situation, I was in the gulf war 1. Let me ask you this, does he trust anyone, or does he not want to talk to people?

It took a long time for me to be able to trust anyone at all. I would try to keep it all inside. I finally got married in 94. It took years for me to start talking to doctors at the VA. I went through all of the psychiatrist that they had. Finally I ran into a psychologist that I could talk to.

Anger management is a MUST. Some how some way, he needs to find some one to talk to.

I don't visit here too often, I usually post over at politicalplace.com under bilbo37.

Iwill try to check back here later. hang in there :)
Zan
Recruit

PTSD

Post by Zan » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:33 pm

This link may help too:
Aftermathofwarcopingwith PTSDtoo@groups.msn.com

My prayers are with you and your family. Educate yourself and seek counseling. Good Luck

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:08 pm

If you can get him to talk the VA and try to get them to send him to North Chicago VA medical center they have a super 5 week ptsd treatment.It was the best thing I have ever done.The staff is great and really care and understand what you are going through and try to help you deal with it.I know it has to be hard on you too,but hang in there because he needs your support.I am a desert storm vet and i have ptsd.My wife is my strenth but I also put her through hell almost everyday.I spent 5 months in a great depression and isolation before I went to the va.If they can get him there dont let him leave,I was ready to go home after one day but my wife would not come get me.the friends in the other vets he meets there will last a lifetime.Good luck and keep on loving him
silentwarrior

marine vet with ptsd

Post by silentwarrior » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:10 pm

I feel for you on the ptsd thing. The demons came to me after 14 years. I am seeking counseling and pray to God. it never goes away but i cna learn better coping skills. It is strange at times but I am married and needed to talk about some the things we did.
hollandmad3

post tramatic stress

Post by hollandmad3 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:41 pm

i would like to offer good solutions ! see your V. a. rep and get help from him ; AND i have found out that prayer and being a Christian really does make a difference in my life and would you consider Jesus and asking him to save your marriage ONly God can restore what Satan has stollen from your family Have faith and believe God was with us during desert storm and in my loneliest hours God showed me his grace and gave me peace and strengh and I will believe God with you to overcome ptsd and i hope to hear a good report :)
blueknight
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by blueknight » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:35 am

Prayers and good luck wishes are nice, but they don't solve the problem or pay the bills. Take my advice, don't mess around with the VA. They have good services, but shrinks are not one of their strong points. Check into a good PRIVATE mental hospital for your needs. If he doesn't want to play that game, then the cold hard truth is that he will probably be alone the rest of his life. Your kids must come first, as with every problem.

My advice can be backed by hard facts and life experience that even Hollywood would probably not believe. Not enough time to explain, just trust me.........if he truly loves you, he will listen to you. don't be afraid to tell him he's got a problem. If he want's to continue living in 1991 and forsake his family by doing so, then it's his loss. THE KIDS ARE WHAT"S IMPORTANT!!!! Confront him with it and get it out into the open. Ignoring it or playing it off will only cause more problems.............Good luck! :evil: :twisted:
The biggest idots in the world are my favorite people. They give me job security!
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Battalion (ATC), 58th Aviation

Post by bilbo37 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:27 am

The demons and nightmares still happen even after all this time. Anger and frustration seem to always be there no matter what is done. I hope that you find a way to learn to deal with what is and always will be a part of this life.

An Army Vet
Bilbo