please help me out

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.

please help me out

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:30 pm

I am trying to find someone who was involved in the war to interview for my American History class. I tried emailing people from the veteran guest list but i didnt have any luck. Some one please help me out... Here are the questions:

1. How did it feel when you were told you were shipping out from the United States?
2. What was your first day like in foreign territory?
3. What were your responsibilities during the war?
4. Please describe a typical day for you during the war?
5. What were you thinking during the first few weeks of the war?
6. What is the biggest memory you have coming out of Desert Storm?
7. How did it feel when you were told you were coming home?
8. How has this event changed your life?

Hope to here from someone soon..thanks alot

if you want to email the answers to me, my email is totuf4u04@comcast.net
blueknight
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by blueknight » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:44 am

I have written a book titled "Sunrise on the Sand" which answers all of your questions. Unfortunately, I just finished it a few months ago and it's not in print just yet. Your questions will be answered when I close a deal with a publisher. I give advice and opinions for free, but life experiences will cost you.........they definitely cost me! :twisted:
The biggest idots in the world are my favorite people. They give me job security!
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

I'll do what I can

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:30 am

1. How did it feel when you were told you were shipping out from the United States?
I was stationed in Germany when Desert Shield began, I was getting ready to change duty stations and did not want to go but since I was already slotted for a position stateside with 1st Infantry Division, I had to go or take a "bar to reenlistment" in order to stay in Germany. Right at 2 months after I got to Ft. Riley and settled into my unit, we were put on alert for Desert Storm and allowed to take leave to see our families before we shipped out to Saudi Arabia....I was kind of nervous at that point, still could not believe I was going.

2. What was your first day like in foreign territory? Not bad at all...but it was HOT. I've lived in Florida's humid 90* weather all my life but landing in Saudi Arabia and climbing off that air conditioned 747 out onto the tarmac and into the 135* weather was a whole different kind of hot, not humid at all. I still could not believe I was there.

3. What were your responsibilities during the war? I was one of several S-3 radio operators and Maneuver Control Systems Operator (MCS was a large computer system mounted inside a tracked vehicle and used to report unit status and inventory to the S-3 at Division level) and track commander. My track provided MCS and radio communications between Col. Anthony Moreno of 2nd Bde and all the battalions he commanded.

4. Please describe a typical day for you during the war? It varied depending on what was going on, we had no equipment (vehicles) at first so we more or less sat and waited and did some minor training. Once the vehicles arrived at the port, we all packed up and went there to a warehouse where we stayed for the next week while waiting on them to be offloaded from the ships. I myself had to stand watch outside the warehouse and was lucky/unlucky enough to observe a Patriot Missile miss a Scud missile coming into Dharan. I have no idea what happened to the missile or where it landed but had to brief a 2 star general (a Major general) and all his brass on what I saw. I also had to stand watch on our vehicles once they were offloaded from the ships and that’s when the sirens started wailing regularly from the scuds coming in. Many of the times we climbed into some of the tracks for cover and a few extra seconds to get our chemical gear on (MOPP gear). Once we were in the desert in our vehicles it was almost the same as many of our training exercises back before we left. Practice this and practice that while knowing it wasn't practice at the same time. Prior to the ground war actually starting, we did a lot of stopping, setting up, then tearing down and jumping to the next spot. Once the ground war actually started, sleep stopped and nerves were on edge 110%. I literally did not sleep for 4 days straight due to my responsibilities of communications, reporting to division via MCS and sticking my target of a head out the top of our track when moving to look for mines and so during jumps.

5. What were you thinking during the first few weeks of the war? I do not really remember any specifics, always wondering if and when it was going to get bad, what it would be like, if any of my friends or myself would ever get hurt or killed I guess

6. What is the biggest memory you have coming out of Desert Storm? The sky being midnight black at 12 noon due to the oil fires and 4 dead Iraqi soldiers I saw laying in a row like they had been walking in single file and just fell over on their sides. They looked peaceful and like wax figures. One guys leg was all torn up like hamburger, we guessed he had been partially run over by something after dying.

7. How did it feel when you were told you were coming home? I do not remember the plane ride home, I do remember the bus ride from the airport in Topeka back to the post and all the signs welcoming us home, all the yellow ribbons hanging everywhere, and all the people lining the streets waving and cheering as the buses rolled past them. I had no one waiting on me when I get back, my family was all in Florida and did not know when I was actually coming so did not come to Kansas to meet me. I admit I was kind of sad but it was great seeing others who got to experience that.

8. How has this event changed your life? Well, I have felt on a daily basis that if we had been allowed to finish the job of capturing Saddam the first time, we might not be there this time. That country may have changed for the better but then again, it may not have. I think about my experiences in Desert Storm everyday. Every time we have any kind of thunderstorms or I see lightning off in the distant nighttime sky, I get a little creeped out and have to go somewhere where I cannot see it or go be with my wife and kids to try and take my mind off of it. Part of that is from watching the distant flashes and hearing the distant booms of the bombs being dropped nonstop for weeks prior to the ground war and other parts come from having to roll through areas where there were burning Iraqi (Russian made) tanks and other vehicles that our Armored battalions had just destroyed minutes before. I have partial hearing loss from what I believe was a loud boom coming from a tank exploding as we rode by it. My ears rang for a day or so after that. I still have dreams of stuff I saw there, I have seen (in my dreams) dead Iraqi soldiers walking towards me with their uniforms shredded and hanging off their mangled bodies. I have seen burnt Iraqis in my dreams lying next to burnt out exploded vehicles and so on. My wife understands and I am sure is tired of it but still hugs me tight when I wake up because of it.

I can only imagine what our guys over there are seeing and experiencing now, PTSD is a fact; Gulf War Syndrome is a fact. I suffer from both yet I get by just fine on a daily basis.

I hope this helps you some, I know others will have more and different experiences and hope they too offer you some insight into their own time there.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton