New SPAM Prevention

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:29 pm

Well, I am disrespecting them back all I can by deleting their posts and their profile website listings with Troutster deleting them altogether.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Battalion (ATC), 58th Aviation

Post by bilbo37 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:42 am

Dagger X-Ray wrote:Well, I am disrespecting them back all I can by deleting their posts and their profile website listings with Troutster deleting them altogether.
8) 8) 8)
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.

Post by Redmaxx » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:42 am

The spam has bee pretty thick the past couple of days. Good job on deleting them Dagger.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Operation Desert Shield/Storm/Cease Fire 1990/1991
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Redmaxx wrote:The spam has bee pretty thick the past couple of days. Good job on deleting them Dagger.
Yea, the ones reposting under the same email host are getting their email hosts banned from allowing registration therefore causing them more work to find another email provider so they can try and register again. I delete all the weblistes listed in their profiles along with banning and deleting their activation keys and eventually Scott deletes them completely from the board. From time to time I delete from within their profile if its only 1 or 2 that have registered since I last banned. I do this multiple times daily...including weekends.

Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by bilbo37 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:03 pm

Yep, doing one bang up job there with the spammers..
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:51 pm

To give you an idea what I am up against from time to time, look at these stats from late this afternoon.

There were only 64 "guests" at that time but a couple hours ago, I had an onslaught of spammers register. They were all banned of course.

Heres from a few seconds ago and they started registering so I turned registration off for awhile.

Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by bilbo37 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:13 pm

I think that you are doing a heck of a job...
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:15 pm

bilbo37 wrote:I think that you are doing a heck of a job...

Theres like 100 on right now.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by bilbo37 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:17 pm

Yeah, I saw that.. If you need help let me know..
PFC MIELKE
Recruit

Post by PFC MIELKE » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:24 pm

Just looking for war buddies from desert storm 2nd coscom 15th trans attached to the 1st infantry div. 8O
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:48 pm

Welcome to the forums
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
5thFSEMSG
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by 5thFSEMSG » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:38 pm

With this forum software you can have all new requests for membership forwarded directly to you for activation. You also have to set the parameters of posting so that only registered users can post. That's what I do on the website I host.

I then scan through the profiles and dump those that are spammers. Their limited intelligence makes it easy to spot their profiles and if I have one that is questionable I drop them an e-mail. If it is returned unanswered, or if the answers don't match what I think they should for someone interested in my site, I dump the account. It makes for about a hour's worth of work a day but I have NO spam on my boards.
5th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital, 5th Forward Surgical Element, Fort Bragg NC, DS/DS Oct 90 to Apr 91

Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:37 pm

I do all of that now. All the "Guest" posts you see are years old. Most a legit and/or replied to so I don't screw with them so as to not messup the topic.

Only registered users can post, they must activate their registration via email first. I go through every day or so and ban all the junk registrations and spammers, delete their profiles and posts and Scott eventually deleted them all. I have several hundred email domains banned from registration, certain keywords banned, certain email domain extensions (.ru, .de, .au, etc) are also banned from registering.

On days that you see spam posted, its usually fairly recent to your visit or I am nowhere near a computer but it gets deleted almost every day...several times too.

Trust me, and others will agree, that this place is trmendously different then it used to be before Scott allowed me to start assisting him. I am pretty anal about keeping this thing clean and going, Scott has built a great website and forum regardless of the fact that he isn't a DS vet but he also has a ton of things going on himself which prevent him from staying on top of this. I have not become overwhelmed yet so haven't needed any help and believe me its been offered tenfold.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
-George Orwell
- General George Patton
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by bilbo37 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:49 pm

Dagger X-Ray wrote:I do all of that now. All the "Guest" posts you see are years old. Most a legit and/or replied to so I don't screw with them so as to not messup the topic.

Only registered users can post, they must activate their registration via email first. I go through every day or so and ban all the junk registrations and spammers, delete their profiles and posts and Scott eventually deleted them all. I have several hundred email domains banned from registration, certain keywords banned, certain email domain extensions (.ru, .de, .au, etc) are also banned from registering.

On days that you see spam posted, its usually fairly recent to your visit or I am nowhere near a computer but it gets deleted almost every day...several times too.

Trust me, and others will agree, that this place is trmendously different then it used to be before Scott allowed me to start assisting him. I am pretty anal about keeping this thing clean and going, Scott has built a great website and forum regardless of the fact that he isn't a DS vet but he also has a ton of things going on himself which prevent him from staying on top of this. I have not become overwhelmed yet so haven't needed any help and believe me its been offered tenfold.

I totally agree that you can be anal about it.. That is a good thing... Keep up the good work.... :D
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.

Re: New SPAM Prevention

Post by Redmaxx » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:05 am

It looks like with the new server and updated software are helping keep the spam down.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Operation Desert Shield/Storm/Cease Fire 1990/1991