what happed when you got back?

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
SaucyWench
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

Post by SaucyWench » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:56 am

Re: Return

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:40 pm

Big Lew wrote:Straykingfisher and Redleg are correct. There were no parades, no celebrations, no word of thanks from those whom you protected with your life on a daily basis....But in the end, we were soldiers...doing what we volunteered to do in the first place. When I think about those brothers in arms that lost their lives(past and present)I consider myself damn lucky just to be able to see my family again. And all the parades, celebrations, awards, yes and even words of thanks from total strangers, don't really matter much in the end.....but, on this upcomming Memorial Day, I can try to Honor those who have served and those who gave their lives with a humble word of Thanks.........
SaucyWench
Lifer

Post by SaucyWench » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:14 pm

:?:

What, now we're digging up old topics to quote things from a year ago? Am I the only one confused here?
SaucyWench
Lifer

Post by SaucyWench » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:15 pm

Yeesh! It's TWO years ago....
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.

Post by Redmaxx » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:16 pm

I am lost. WTF?
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Operation Desert Shield/Storm/Cease Fire 1990/1991
SaucyWench
Lifer

Post by SaucyWench » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:19 pm

I don't know where the circle1880 came from the other day, and now a guest has quoted a post from two years ago. Maybe I just need a drink or something...
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Battalion (ATC), 58th Aviation

Post by bilbo37 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:42 am

DangerForward121 wrote:I don't know where the circle1880 came from the other day, and now a guest has quoted a post from two years ago. Maybe I just need a drink or something...
Nah, just bang your head on the desk three times, then shake your head two times. If it is still confusing after that then, take some aspirin for your head ache and go to bed. :D
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:57 am

I tried that but it didn't help. All I can see now are stars and little birdies...............
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Battalion (ATC), 58th Aviation

Post by bilbo37 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:25 pm

Ok when they go away then you will be ok.
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:56 pm

They are still there and saying, " I tat I saw a puddy tat." They are yellow with a big head.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
ODS/SCOUT
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by ODS/SCOUT » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:23 am

Came home, wife didn't know what to do wit me, so we divorced. I ended up being sick when I came back...who knows why, because the government says we're telling stories. Personally I didn't have any home coming, no medical out processing, had all the sleeping problems most have and have been told I have PTSD, okay I guess so. I hate fire works and I hate Hajji's! I came home with a lot of hate and learned about a lot of lies from the government. I'm not going to get into a big argument, I know how I feel and what I did or didn't do and I don't need anyone telling me any diffrent-and I really hate that bumper sticer that says "I'm no desert hero, just a vietnam veteran". I'm no desert hero! On the flip side-things do get better day by day and I'm not living in a hole and I have remarried and have great kids. Hope this helps.

Scouts Out!
lex taliionis~
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:45 pm

Sorry to hear about your ex-wife. I am glad that you found someone else and that it did work out. Some people just don't understand how that place messed us up.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:39 pm

Does anyone remember that they had a lot of MREs left and no one wanted them. The prisons didn't want the, HELL, even Ethiopia didn't want them.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
SFCKMGander
Recruit

Re: what happed when you got back?

Post by SFCKMGander » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:48 pm

My unit didn't get back to Fort Bliss until August 21, 1991. We Spent 299 days in the Gulf. We got caught up in the retrograde of thousands of tons of left over ammunition (Those damned Iraqi's quit to soon). We spent 5 months just south of KKMC packaging, palletising, banding, and shipping back to the ports all kinds of ammo. Having spent 5 years in EOD from '80-'85 (I reclassified to 55X in '85), I was the NCOIC of the demolition team. We blew up obsolete (152mm rounds used in the M551 Sheridan light tank, and any arty rounds with TNT fillers, etc.) and uneconomically repairable/damaged items (MICLIC's were great fun). Also, we destroyed about 50-75 tons of captured Iraqi ammo that MAP's didn't want. I did much more demo work in those 5 months than I did in my whole 5 year EOD career.
Since we didn't get back until late August, and Desert Storm being old news, besides family and friends (a unit in our Bn got detailed to cheer us when we got off the plane), there wasn't any big deal made. I was just glad to get back to flushing toilets, hot water, and a real bed (with my wife in it). Basically, I got drunk, and got reaquainted with my wife when I got back. The experience of Desert Storm didn't change me much. I felt I didn't do crap, anyway. But, I had a bit of a "cocky", "Been there, done that", attitude for a while. " FIRE IN THE HOLE !!!!!"
MMeilleur
Recruit

Re: what happed when you got back?

Post by MMeilleur » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:48 am

what happened when I got back?
a few said 'thank you' then when they realized i couldn't relate to them (did i ever really relate to them?) they stopped talking and i never really talked at all. so i stopped talking period. went more than a week without remembering if i had talked to anybody. realized something was wrong, even for me.
i asked a psychiatrist if i had ptsd; he said i was depressed. funny, i didn't feel depressed. ended up reading buzz aldrin's (2nd guy on the moon - zealous over achiever who went to the moon and then crashed back to earth) book 'back to earth' and realized i'd better set larger goals for myself or i would be condemned to wander aimlessly forever in search of the nearest vfw hall happy hours..... that's what i've been doing since....no, not the vfw part but the goals....
has it changed me?
while other things in life have changed me more, ya it has. i live in kuwait and we get a yearly reminder 25/26 feb. kinda like the 4th of july for the early americans. some of the young spoiled kids don't fathom the service and sacrifice that went into the 25/26 feb 91 moment. changed educate everybody, but at least my kids know what they parents did during liberation.
it changed me in that it was the first big thing , but not the last big thing, i've done in my life
SEE MY POST ABOUT AUTOGRAPHS _ I WANT YOUR AUTOGRAPHS