what happed when you got back?

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
Big Lew
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: C Btry 6th BN/1st FA

Post by Big Lew » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:52 am

RichardLowry wrote: As the bus rolled to a stop, a family - mother, father, son and daughter - rose to get off the bus. The mother turned to me and softly said - "Thank you."

I was blown away.
To me, that's worth more than any parade or medal. 8)
C-Btry 6th BN, 1st FA
Pinder Barracks, Zirndorf
Rose Barracks, Vilseck(GRAF)
"STEEL ON TARGET!"
devilmutt
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by devilmutt » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:40 am

I flew back with the Marines of Cherry Point, I was stationed at MCAS Yuma. The Cherry Point Marines had a good sized welcome home celebration, we (15 or so) were sent to a barracks to spend the night. Somebody stopped by and gave us a couple cases of beer, we left the next day.

We returned to Yuma on a small charter jet with a stop in Dallas. No parade or celebration when we arrived, just a grab your gear and walk back to your unit. We were told to check in at HQ first thing in the morning. Well, that was a mistake, we should have checked in with the barber first. The first person we saw was the Sgt Major, we got a first class welcome from him, an ass chewing about our 1/2 inch long hair. He made us fall in and marched us to the barber himself. It was great to be home.

All of this was fine with me, I'm not real big on parades and celebrations.
"The Army and the Navy are run like traditional military services. The Air Force is run like a corporation. But the Marine Corps is a religion." — Navy Admiral
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.

Post by Redmaxx » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:07 pm

We flew into Germany and unloaded or own bag then got on a bus and went to our Post. No fanfare, no cheering crowd, no cold beer. We did the job that we were sent to do and we should all be proud of it.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
Operation Desert Shield/Storm/Cease Fire 1990/1991
SaucyWench
Lifer
Your Gulf War Unit: "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

Post by SaucyWench » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:35 pm

We changed planes in New York, I think, and had some group of little old ladies hugging and kissing us as we debarked. 8O
SaucyWench
Lifer

Post by SaucyWench » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:38 pm

Then, back at Ft. Riley, we assembled in the hangar and had some yadda yadda speech to sit through and all the wives, etc coming up to "show everyone their new baby". :roll: (and people wonder where my bitterness comes from... just let me leave, I don't give a damn about your ability to breed and birth something...) When we did get back to our units, they staggered leave and, guess what? The married personnel got theirs first (it was more important afterall) and the single folks got the second batch of leave. Ennh. :?
rodneyw71
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 354th TFW

Post by rodneyw71 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:20 pm

I didn't get to take leave for a month after we got back, I was stationed in England, so I had to buy my plane ticket back home.
Desert Storm, KFIA, Dec. '90- May '91
RAF Alconbury, UK. '90-'92
KI. Sawyer AFB, MI. '92
434th ARW/LRS, Grissom ARB, IN. 2007-Present
OIF 506th ELRS, Kirkuk, Iraq Sept. '09-Jan. '10
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:28 pm

I landed, we had our li'l welcome thing, rode the buses back. I crashed for awhile, washed everything I had, got on phone and found a ticket (round trip) from Kansas to Florida and back for $180. Put my Class A's on and flew 2 days later on 30 days of leave.

Wanted to fly with my BDU's but was told I couldn't even though I saw numerous soldiers in Atlanta International Airport and Orlando International Airport weaing their BDU's. Pissed me off wearing that ape suit home, the damn thing didn't fit. I had lost 60 pounds while in the desert.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
SaucyWench
Lifer

Post by SaucyWench » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:25 pm

Funny, I don't remember wearing my A's when I flew home... but the more I'm finding out that I have forgotten, the scarier it gets. God, what will I be like when I'm ACTUALLY old??
SaucyWench
Lifer

Post by SaucyWench » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:26 pm

I do remember sending my parents yellow roses, and having a friend pick me up from the airport and not telling them, just showing up. It was even better, because I think it was like 2200 when I showed up! 8O
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:33 pm

I wore my civilian clothes home because I flew from Germany to NY. I probably should have worn my class A's. I had a layover in Philidelphia and a couple of people bought me drinks. They asked because of the short hair, suntan and the fact that it was 80 degrees and I had on a sweeter and a coat. I remember thinking that it was cold.
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
SaucyWench
Lifer

Post by SaucyWench » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:46 pm

Red, is that your website?
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:50 pm

I just have a VFW website that I maintain. it is:

http://www.vfw7546.org
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
SaucyWench
Lifer

Post by SaucyWench » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:52 pm

Yeah, I just looked at it. Pretty cool. I've been meaning to look into joining somewhere. What all do they do besides have pancake breakfasts?
Redmaxx
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by Redmaxx » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:59 pm

We do hospital visits, Bingo (for the old farts), fish frys, and since I am a younger member I have done a few things that they have never done before. Last fall we did a bon fire/hayride at my brother in laws apple orchard, we had a passing the torch party for the old/new lounge manager and I have started a dart league. We also sell poppys for the disabled vets, visit the National Home (for widows and children of war vets) and have dances with music to slit your wrists by. :cry:
B Co. 7/159 Avn. Regt.
SSR Platoon
rykanden
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Re: Find something

Post by rykanden » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:48 pm

circle1880 wrote:
Redleg wrote: I beleive it was better that way however, just to get back to a simpler nomality.
I think you should find something better to do with you time...
awesome first post