what happed when you got back?

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
soldiers grandaughter

what happed when you got back?

Post by soldiers grandaughter » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:39 pm

I am curious what happend to you guys when you got back from the fighting. Did your lives change and if so how?

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:52 pm

Anything that significant will always have an impact on your life. It's like loosing your first grandparent - you never forget it, and you change because of the experience.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: Please add your Unit

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:26 pm

I don't remember any real celebration other than from the people recieving thier brothers-husbands-uncles-or boyfriends, everything just pretty much went back to normal, I am sure the whole city knew we were back but it seemed as if they didn't want to mention it. I didn't expect a big party, a simple thank you would've done:D
Redleg

Coming home

Post by Redleg » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:23 pm

As I remember, life returned to normal as well. I returned to my duty station in Germany, to no family, just my brothers I served with. I beleive it was better that way however, just to get back to a simpler nomality.
Big Lew
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: C Btry 6th BN/1st FA

Return

Post by Big Lew » Fri May 27, 2005 6:49 am

Straykingfisher and Redleg are correct. There were no parades, no celebrations, no word of thanks from those whom you protected with your life on a daily basis....But in the end, we were soldiers...doing what we volunteered to do in the first place. When I think about those brothers in arms that lost their lives(past and present)I consider myself damn lucky just to be able to see my family again. And all the parades, celebrations, awards, yes and even words of thanks from total strangers, don't really matter much in the end.....but, on this upcomming Memorial Day, I can try to Honor those who have served and those who gave their lives with a humble word of Thanks.........
C-Btry 6th BN, 1st FA
Pinder Barracks, Zirndorf
Rose Barracks, Vilseck(GRAF)
"STEEL ON TARGET!"
STRAYKINGFISHER
Recruit

Post by STRAYKINGFISHER » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:57 am

I believe that people don't realize that most of us that volunteered didn't volunteer for the war, we volunteered to protect our country knowing that there was a possibility of war, but hoping that there wasn't one during our tour of duty, I had a friend that while we were at homeport was all gunho about going to Iraq, but once there he got "battle fatigue" even though the battle had just begun, not one of us knows how we will react to war, I myself was scared ***tless with the fear that the enemy would charge on us and either capture us or worse, I am very thankful to the Marines that were protecting our battalion while we repaired runways, built bridges and such, I was a construction mechanic doing upkeep of old (dinosaur) equipment. I am sorry that I cannot remember the name of the Marine unit that was there for us but I do want to send out a Thank you to all Marines past and present, God bless the United States Military.
tactnuke
Recruit

Post by tactnuke » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:56 pm

There wasn't a whole lot of fan fare, just a small recognition ceremony when we got back on post. after a few weeks we were given 2 weeks of leave, so we went to florida and visited the family. got to do all the amusement parks for free and they had special tents set up for just vets to get away from the crowd and relax a little. only thing that was annoying was the pills we had to take for 3 montsh after getting back.
Big Lew
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: C Btry 6th BN/1st FA

Post by Big Lew » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:38 am

Hey Tactnuke, glad to hear that you and your buddies were given that opportunity! Wish that more people would thank those that served and are serving. Whenever I see a Vet, or someone on active duty, I shake their hand and say thank you. You'll make someone's day, and hopefully others that see you do this will follow in kind. :D
C-Btry 6th BN, 1st FA
Pinder Barracks, Zirndorf
Rose Barracks, Vilseck(GRAF)
"STEEL ON TARGET!"
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:15 pm

Exactly, Ft. Riley (1st inf Div) had the usual family welcome and yellow ribbons and signs posted all over the place but everything else was "as usual".
I took 30 days of leave 3 days after arriving back at Ft. Riley and wore my Class-A's home on the flight to Central Florida and never so much as even got a "pat on the back" (not that I was looking for it). Of course when I got home, my family had a nice "Welcome Home" party for me and had some family and friends over for a big BBQ.

While sitting in a resturaunt here, I overheard the waitiress at the next table talking with the family of 3 and a comment of how the younger guy had just gotten home from Iraq and before I could even offer to cover their meal, the resturaunt covered their bill. I was happy to see the resturaunt step up and show their appreciation but bummed out that I didn't get to show mine.
darren barnett
Recruit

Post by darren barnett » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:32 pm

I had a welcome home party, family and friends but I don't really remember much about it other than not wanting to be there...I was glad to see everyone and all but I really needed more down time to adjust to civilization again, to me these people , although family, were not with me over there and no matter what questions they asked or how they tried to understand, things would never be the same again.Still today I can discuss stuff with the guys that were there that I would never attempt to explain to my wife.
mgm2112

What happened when I came home

Post by mgm2112 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:42 pm

My mother tried to wake me up to go job hunting after two weeks back home. She made the mistake of just touching me on the shoulder.
My only memory of it was that I had my mom on the deck by the throat choking her and ready to dispatch her to Allah.

To this day, when the city tests their tornado warning sirens, I just want to don, check, and clear my gas mask and dive in a bunker, or foxhole.
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Battalion (ATC), 58th Aviation

Post by bilbo37 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:30 am

I don't remember any fanfare when we got back. My unit went back to Germany and there was a small welcoming group, but no parties or anything.
When I went home on leave, I was met at the airport by a group of people. Again no fan fare. The group that was there was mostly military families and a few military.

Most of the people that I saw didn't really want to talk about anything. We had a small family get together (picnic).
SGT_JDC
Recruit

Went back to Germany

Post by SGT_JDC » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:53 pm

We flew directly to the Nurmberg Airport. Somehow the Germans had heard, being on the first flight back. On the left side of the road were the old Nazis they all saluted. on the right was the peace lovers, they threw things, spit at us, flipped us off.

Me and a couple of others went to see the owner of a local brewery and they sent a huge trailer tanker of beer. For free we had our own welcome home party.

B.General Boyce's wife got involved and after that the Soldiers had to pay for the beer. Some distand MWR rule forbid it being free. I still think she just wanted money for her pet projects.

Most of our brigade came back a little at a time.

From that point on, health problems, mental problems have cause me three jobs and three marriages and a couple relationships.

Going back to Germany had its problems, my little town here in the states had a Veterans Day gala and the Mayor did not mention Desert Storm Vets. Mom being Mom yelled out about it.

Anyhow just the family and extended family in Germany to welcome most of us back.
SGT_JDC US Army Retired
Medically retired due to health problems GWS.
bilbo37
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 3rd Battalion (ATC), 58th Aviation

Re: Find something

Post by bilbo37 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:14 pm

circle1880 wrote:
Redleg wrote: I beleive it was better that way however, just to get back to a simpler nomality.
I think you should find something better to do with you time...
Such as what, a family, friends, or something in particular?
SSGRONFIN

Post by SSGRONFIN » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:30 pm

The first thing I got when I got back to my kaserne in Germany, was a Bud beer from my roommate who had arrived ahead of me with the Advance Party. There was no parades, no one welcoming us back, just family members for the married guys. All we got was some beer, and a formation briefing us about the next few days. The only thing I cared about was my friends there, and planning my leave as soon as possible. I guess it was pretty disappointing since we knew that units returning to the States were getting parades and Welcome Home parties, and all we got was some shitty Bud beer and a few Germans waving little flags.