DD 214

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
jmartinez
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: HHC 1st Engineers 1st Infantry

DD 214

Post by jmartinez » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:15 am

Hello to all, its J with a strange question. I ETS before most gulf war medals were issued out. My question is would I be able to have those medals awarded and placed in my DD 214. I was awarded the soutwest asia medal with 2 bronze stars but no other medal concerning our support of Desert Storm. I have orders that state I was there during operation desert shield and desert storm. Any advice, I know its point less and it probably doesn't make a difference to others but it matters to me. Can anyone help or make suggestions.
Thanks in advance J
tricky89
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 197th Inf. 72nd ENG. CO

Re: DD 214

Post by tricky89 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:02 am

jmartinez wrote:Hello to all, its J with a strange question. I ETS before most gulf war medals were issued out. My question is would I be able to have those medals awarded and placed in my DD 214. I was awarded the soutwest asia medal with 2 bronze stars but no other medal concerning our support of Desert Storm. I have orders that state I was there during operation desert shield and desert storm. Any advice, I know its point less and it probably doesn't make a difference to others but it matters to me. Can anyone help or make suggestions.
Thanks in advance J
Yes, you can go to va.gov site and scroll to get to find the application to get an update,it will be DD-215, more than likly it has been updated so just go on there and fill it out and it will be mailed in about 4 to 6 weeks,that's how i found mine, good luck,and merry xmas.
197th inf. 72nd engr. Heavy Junk
Dagger X-Ray
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Brigade 1st Infantry Division

Post by Dagger X-Ray » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:59 pm

You ETS'd in better shape than I did. My DD-214 never mentioned my Gulf War experience. It took 10 years and the assistance of my Congressman to get my DD-214 updated (DD-215) and to get my awards and VA Medical Help for being in the Gulf. You should fare better tha I did since the VA has their crap a lot more straight now than when I was having my problems back in the 90's.
Dagger X-Ray - ARMY
(12/91 - present) - miss the service
(9/90 - 12/91) 2nd Bde 1st Infantry Division - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Combat VET
(9/88 - 9/90) C-17th Signal Battalion of 22nd Signal Brigade - Sachsenhausen Bar Scene VET
(4/88 - 9/88) AIT Fort Gordon, Ga
(12/87 - 3/88) Basic Training Fort Jackson, SC
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton
sgt Jake
Soldier
Your Gulf War Unit: Eagle Troop 3ACR

Post by sgt Jake » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:58 am

Just got my kuwait and saudi medals in oct of this year. had to fill out a request from records, and it took about 8 months, but sent the medals and the amendment paperwork. Also it is a good idea to take your 214, and any ammendments, to your county court house record dept and have them put on file. free of charge, and if you ever lose them in a fire or whatever, your or your direct dependant can go there and get a copy any time you need them. they will be there for eternity.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
- J o h n S t e w a r t M i l l
belljordan
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: 132457

Post by belljordan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:47 pm

Hello, I am here collecting some information about bronze start recipients for my college project, Please anyone here can provide me list of bronze star included with photos.

bronze star recipients
Animal
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th INF 197th 72 Engineers/18th Airborne Corps

Post by Animal » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:23 pm

Or you can just take your dd214 into your nearest va rep and they will fill all paper work out for you will receive your medals within 6 months to a year
DESERT SHIELD/DESERT STORM
197TH/72 ENGINEERS/24TH INF. DIV.
haze
Senior Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 72nd. ENGR. CO. 197TH INF. BDE. 24TH INF

Post by haze » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:37 pm

i requested mine 2 be updated a yr. or 2 back....they actully callled me on my cell phone(dunno how they got that #
0, was told that they couldn'y add any medal awarded from another country, just ones awarded from the u.s., so my dd214 stayed the same as when i got it. so, i dunno, if they have changed rules or the guy that was doin it was blowin me off....good luck
as mentioned before, go to the va.gov website an rejuest a updated dd215.
72nd. ENGR. CO.
197th. INF. BDE(m)(s)
24th. INF.DIV
18th AIRBORNE CORPS
SAPPERS FORWARD!