Social Security

Please visit this area and participate in various diffrent topics of discussion.
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th Infantry Division, 197th Infantry Brigage, 72 Engr Co.

Re: Social Security

Post by redfish » Fri May 18, 2012 6:59 am

Get a lawyer bro.
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
197th Infantry 72 ENGR CO
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
Animal
Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th INF 197th 72 Engineers/18th Airborne Corps

Post by Animal » Fri May 18, 2012 12:24 pm

Haze ,Thats what I did haze they are taking care of alot of things on that side ,takes the burden of the stress off of you you have enough to deal with than to put up with it I tell you there is a lawyer in your state who is highly reconized as the best in ky he is located near pikeville name Eric Conn look him up Iam sure he is on the net but he really gets the job done and gets whats due to you he is best that ky has when it comes to ssi at least do some research on him if iam over that way i will try to get you a number or its probably on the web
DESERT SHIELD/DESERT STORM
197TH/72 ENGINEERS/24TH INF. DIV.
OneyeVet
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: 2nd Marine Division 6th Marine Regiment

Post by OneyeVet » Wed May 30, 2012 10:56 am

Hello Vets

I am new to the website and would like to ask a question and would really appreciate some advice... I lost my left eye on active duty which the VA siad was 30% and PTSD at 50% Hearing loss at 10% and 10% for IBS anyway I have a combined rating of 80% through the VA.. I have had a lot of problems with my health since returning from DS/DS. My question is do you guys or Gals think I should go ahead and file for my SSI. I hav'nt just because you here how difficult it is to get. I have not been able to keep a job since returning whether it was my temper, anxiety, not being able to sleep. For whatever reason my family could really use the extra support that SSI would provide. :?:

OneyeVet (Jim)
USMC Ret
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Wed May 30, 2012 5:45 pm

Welcome Oneye

Are you still working? Have you applied for IU?
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
OneyeVet
Recruit

Post by OneyeVet » Wed May 30, 2012 10:12 pm

No I am not working and what is IU?
wdroberson
Soldier
Your Gulf War Unit: 1st ID, 3rd AD, 181st Chem Co, 84th Chem, 46th Chem.

Post by wdroberson » Thu May 31, 2012 5:51 pm

What is TDIU?

TDIU (Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability) is also called IU and Unemployability. TDIU is paid to veterans who cannot work due to a service connected disability, but have less than a 100% schedular rating.

How can I qualify?

There are two ways to qualify.

1. Ratings-based qualification:

You must first have one service-connected disability of 70% or a combination of ratings totaling 60% with one of the included ratings being at least 40%.

If you meet one of those requirements, and you can show that one of your service connected disabilities has caused a total inability to work, you can qualify for TDIU.

2. Severity-based qualification:

If you have a service connected disability that doesn’t meet those schedular rating requirements, but the disability prevents you from working, then you can still file a claim for TDIU.

This is especially useful if you meet the maximum rating for a condition, but don’t meet the ratings-based qualifications listed above.

The maximum ratings for some diseases are less than 100%. For example, the highest rating for migraines is 50%. If you have migraines that prevent you from working, then you should file for TDIU, even though your rating is only 50%.

Veterans helping Veterans
C&P Database
[url=ts3server://ts3.confusedvet.com:9988]Veterans Voice Server[/url]
OneyeVet
Recruit

Post by OneyeVet » Thu May 31, 2012 7:31 pm

Thanks very much for the information. I honestly did not know that I even qualified for anything other than my 80% service connected disabilty. My original question was should I go ahead and file for SSDI or not. I have done a lot of reading the past few days on this website and others and understand more than I did. Thanks Again!

Jim
Oneyevet
USMC Ret
haze
Senior Vet
Your Gulf War Unit: 72nd. ENGR. CO. 197TH INF. BDE. 24TH INF

Post by haze » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:55 pm

at 80% va disability u should, even if u somehow do get turned down, u can appeal.
that 80% is a hard thing for them 2 deny. but don't be surprised if u get turned down 1st. time...most do....
i had a friend who got his leg blowed off, back broke, neck fused, and other stuff...ss turned him down.....he appealed an had it a few weeks later.
good luck, an welcome.
72nd. ENGR. CO.
197th. INF. BDE(m)(s)
24th. INF.DIV
18th AIRBORNE CORPS
SAPPERS FORWARD!
framirezspc4
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: HHB 6/3 ADA, 1st Armored Division

Post by framirezspc4 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:52 pm

wdroberson wrote:What is TDIU?

TDIU (Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability) is also called IU and Unemployability. TDIU is paid to veterans who cannot work due to a service connected disability, but have less than a 100% schedular rating.

How can I qualify?

There are two ways to qualify.

1. Ratings-based qualification:

You must first have one service-connected disability of 70% or a combination of ratings totaling 60% with one of the included ratings being at least 40%.

If you meet one of those requirements, and you can show that one of your service connected disabilities has caused a total inability to work, you can qualify for TDIU.

2. Severity-based qualification:

If you have a service connected disability that doesn’t meet those schedular rating requirements, but the disability prevents you from working, then you can still file a claim for TDIU.

This is especially useful if you meet the maximum rating for a condition, but don’t meet the ratings-based qualifications listed above.

The maximum ratings for some diseases are less than 100%. For example, the highest rating for migraines is 50%. If you have migraines that prevent you from working, then you should file for TDIU, even though your rating is only 50%.

Thank you for the information...have a great day..
wdroberson
Soldier
Your Gulf War Unit: 1st ID, 3rd AD, 181st Chem Co, 84th Chem, 46th Chem.

Post by wdroberson » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:03 pm

I figured I would update since I posted a lot about my choice to file for SSDI in this thread.

On July 31st 2012 I was finally awarded 80% SC with the VA and my SSDI claim took less than 4 months for resolution and a positive outcome.

I am in the process right now of applying for TDIU as the decision packet included a recommendation to do so if I was unable to work. I filed that right after receiving the rating but they are so backlogged that I don't expect them to decide that for another year.

I have requested all my medical information from the SSDI to turn in to the VARO. I feel confident that the reason for awarding SSDI was based upon my SC disabilities. That should help on a decision whenever they get around to it.

Any one is more than welcome to visit the link below to my website and view, and use if desired, any of the examples I provided for my VA and SSDI claim that I have available to help others.

Veterans helping Veterans
C&P Database
[url=ts3server://ts3.confusedvet.com:9988]Veterans Voice Server[/url]
Big Whiskey
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: 2-319th AFAR 82nd ABN

Post by Big Whiskey » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:11 pm

I was awarded SSID after appeal, denied by VA because no record of Combat. I finally cleared up the no combat mess and awaiting appeal by DRO. One diagnosis from C&P 2010 stated PTSD major depressive disorder, denied because combat record missing. Next C&P states no PTSD he binge drinks, used drugs as a child, no record of combat, basically a bumb. Then I discover why they are calling me a bumb, NO COMBAT RECORD. did they tell me or share or help, nope. Suicide hotline led me to warriors for vets site. They told me to look for real proof, found my unit was given MUC award. VA said thats what they needed, we'll see in about 3-6 months. What about that C&P in 2012 calling me a drunk bumb though? SS people very helpful but becareful about "insured date", I had to prove it began while in service and still was issue 10 years later. insured date is 4 years after employment.I got out in 1998 so needed to show symptoms before 2002 which luckily I had. 3 years back pay for me and both kids. Letter from SS stating caused by service and medicade dated 1998. The VA denide my claim though? Screw them they will grant it but I will have to do everything myself.
redfish
Good Soldiers Never Die

Post by redfish » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:43 pm

Your post here answered my questions from your other post. Some C&P's are good. Some are not. Do you have a rep?
Shield/Storm
18th Airborne Corps
24th Infantry Division
Assault and Barrier Pltn
"Sledgehammer"
desertfox
Recruit
Your Gulf War Unit: 24th inf

Post by desertfox » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:35 pm

Red sould be easy for u,i got hurt at work just a torn rotator cuff. i never use to sit down but that took me out for six weeks and i started have ptsd symptoms bad had them befor but never as bad so i just kept getting worst so after 6 months and not back to work my comp made me file for social security well they sent me to a phyic and he said i had ptsd and been exsposed to chemicals had it in two months and then filed for my va with ss reports and got it too so u shouldnt have a problem at all good luck

FIRST TO FIGHT!!!!!!!!!